Duane Bozarth

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:24:02 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:35:14 -0500, Vic Dura
wrote:

Just curious about something. Is there a relationship between "gauge"
and linear measure such as inches or centimeters? Is the diameter of a
14-gauge wire the same thickness as 14-gauge metal sheet?

Nope. They may seem similar but they are totally unrelated.

Are you sure about this? I always thought 14 gauge steel was the same
thickness as 14 gauge wire. Now I wish I had a micrometer and some
14ga steel on hand. I got lots of wire.

AWG (American Wire Gage) 14 -- 0.064"
USS (US Std for Sheet/plate) 14 -- 0.078"

Source: Perry's Chem E Handbook Table 1-10

There are four others as well all of which are slightly different from
each other...