Linards Ticmanis

Default VCR: linear audio flutters (only in new recordings)

Hello all,

I hope this is the right group for this kind of question,
unfortunately I didn't find an answer to this specific phenomenon in a
number of VCR problem FAQs.

I have a bit of an annoyance with a Panasonic NV-HD 650 VCR: I had to
replace the felts in the mechanism that drives the spindles, the ones
which allow the gears to slip and prevent turning the spindles any
faster than the tape is actually coming in. (I don't know the correct
English words, sorry.)

Unfortunately the control/linear audio head got deadjusted in the
process. Now everything works fine again after adjustment against some
commercial prerecorded tapes, I just tilted the head with the little
screws until the linear audio sounded least dull.

Still, when I record something now with this VCR and then select
linear audio during playback, it will flutter, at least with music it
is quite noticable, less so with speech.

The picture and hifi sound are not affected, and the linear audio
works fine for playback of commercial tapes, and also for old
recordings from this same VCR. Thus only new recordings are affected.
Unfortunately I don't have another one to try if those recordings
flutter there too.

Now the FAQs give answers for the problem "linear audio flutter" but
it all aims at uneven tape speed, which can't really be the problem
here; in that case I should be hearing flutter in old recordings as
well, I assume.

(I know I could in theory just ignore this as the HiFi sound is better
anyway, but I like my recordings to work in all VCRs if possible. And
I don't plan getting a digital recorder until the market settles down
a little more.)

(Note to self: don't post whole novels to Usenet.)

Any ideas anyone? Or maybe an idea where I can find an answer?

Thanks for any ideas,
--
Linards Ticmanis

"Ego Augustus Bonifacius Ambrosius Aurelianus Antonius Pius et
Magnificus, dux, rex, tyrannus et Basileus Mediterranearum Partum,
subscribo." (J. R. R. Tolkien)
NSM

"Linards Ticmanis" wrote in message
om...
| Hello all,
| Still, when I record something now with this VCR and then select
| linear audio during playback, it will flutter, at least with music it
| is quite noticable, less so with speech.

How many different brands of tape have you tried?

sofie

Linards:
Try some brand new tapes.... maybe try a different brand. Also if you are
recording at the SLP/EP 6hr speed, try changing it to the SP 2hr speed.
The slower speed at best is problematic with resultant lower quality audio
and video and is more susceptible to tape irregularities. Since audio
flutter with the linear head is directly related to capstan speed there are
a number of things to look at in addition to the quality of the tapes you
are using.....
Belt (worn or stretched)
Idler clutch (grabbing)
Back-tension (band/mechanism sticking)
Bad capstan motor (cogging)
***and.... of course.... the MOST LIKELY SUSPECT is the mechanism that you
just replaced the felts in..... if they are grabbing or have too much
tension you can get uneven capstan speed with resultant linear audio
flutter. Based on your most recent service on this mechanism I would say
that you need to re-check your work..... the problem is probably there.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie