Loren Coe

Default Sound: "fixing"/processing audio channel/s

In article EsHdb.8161$gi2.1647@fed1read01, Sal M. Onella wrote:

"Loren Coe" wrote in message
i am a news nut these days, have the time and interest, and
am increasingly diddling with the volume of the tv channel
depending on the original source/type of audio.

snip
i am going to be doing a major
reconfiguration of my Bud, audio, FTA antenna and tv components
this fall/winter and would like suggestions/experience along
these lines. i have some advanced accessories now (like a
Sony modulator) and would be willing to spend some reasonable
amount to clean up sound, especially since i am planning to
add a "studio" to record/dub and copy video and audio sources.

compression/expansion is something that has been on my mind,
but for other reasons, so there seems to be at least two
features that i want to add. thanks! --Loren

One device for doing this is known as a "compander", short for
compressor-expander.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...-8&q=compander
returns about 9,000 possibilities.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but FWIW:

no, not obvious at all, a good reminder how just how much of this
i "used to know". grin there has been surprising little interest
in my post, i may try it again, any suggestion as to group/s? the
pro audio is moderated and doubtful of any devices like these.

Best Regards, and thanks, --Loren

(a) Expanding low-level audio may cause you to hear some hum and hiss that
were
inaudible before.(b) Compressing high level audio sometimes results in
distortion on
the first few milliseconds of each audio passage.
(c) If there's any contant background audio (crowd noise, nature sounds) in
a signal
that's being companded, the background varies, often annoyingly so, in a
phenomenon
called "pumping". Thus, you may need to limit the amount of companding.
(In my
experience, once you record something with pumping on it, you are stuck with
it.)

Good luck.

"Sal"