Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Marking Guage Poll

On Jul 13, 11:53*am, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:03:03 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/

If you haven't, try the Veritas or Tite-Mark wheel gauges. *They both
lock down tightly, but the Tite-Mark has the advantage of being able to
operate the fine-adjust with one hand. *Both of them have A2 wheels,
which means they stay sharp for a long time.

Chris

I like the old Stanley. *Can't remember the model number, but it has two
arms with a wheel on one end of each and a pin on the other. *If you only
need one, the other retracts into the body out of the way. *But you'd
have to find an old tool dealer to get one - or be very lucky at an
estate sale.

I've got 2 and am very careful not to lose them :-).

Stanley #95 butt gauge has two beams with knives
on either end, plus a handy square built into the
stock. I reach for it more times than I do my other
scratch gauges.