Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Marking Guage Poll

On Jul 13, 12:45*pm, alexy wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:48 am, Chris Friesen wrote:

Yep, that's the one I was checking out. It looks like it has a regular
thumb screw, but I guess it's made differently than my piece of crap.
Ok, I'm sold. *I have been very happy with Veritas so far. Those
Canadians sure do know a thing or two about woodwerk'n. *

On the microadjust version, you first lock the rear of the body against
the shaft using the knurled nut at the back end of the head. *This locks
using a router collet style compression fitting. *You then turn the
front part of the body relative to the back of the body for fine
adjustment. The fine adjustment locks with the thumbscrew.

One thing to watch out for on all the versions with a circular
body...make sure they don't roll off your bench! *I wish they'd machined
one or two flats on the rim to prevent this (or made it oval like their
3-in-1 gauge).

Minor correction, at least if you are talking about this onehttp://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,42936&p=50440
which I own, it is not oval. It stays on the bench by virtue of the
rod being mounted off-denter in the circular bearing disc.

I still prefer my old simple pin type, with knife-sharpened pin. My
complaint with the 3-in-1 is that the natural place to grip it is also
the tightening mechanism, and I find myself inadvertently loosening
it.

OP: Alf's review of wheel-type marking gauges at the link below is the
best I have found.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4110

Nice link! Thank you.