Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Safe way to carry dust remote

Just got my closeted dust collector on a separate 220v circuit and set up to
run from an X-10 appliance module plugged into an outlet controlled by an
hp-rated wall switch. Pushed the on-button on the little pocket remote and
it works!

Next thought was that little, 2 x 1-1/2 x 3/8-inch, plastic remote is going
to get misplaced in no time (67 year-old) if I don't get it on a lanyard to
hang around my neck. Looked at a leather shoelace and immediately realized
what a BAD IDEA that was -- having a strong cord dangling from my neck while
working around rotating machinery. So, keep it in my pocket? -- nah, it'll
end up in the washing machine or the nightstand. Belt loop? -- nah, don't
want that part of my anatomy sucked into a machine either.

So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???

David Merrill

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

David Merrill wrote:
So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???

What you mean "without losing it" ????

There's a cubby on the wall near the light switch where it's _SUPPOSED_
to live and to travel to/from apron on entrance/exit. You know how well
that works...

There's a second in an inviolate location for the not so rare times the
other isn't in one or the other of the two aforementioned places.

Actually, the "system" works well (enough, anyway) when I'm actually
using the shop consistently because then I am in the habit of using the
apron and so on. It's the dash in to whack off a tubafore for some odd
job and tear out again w/ it and a handful of other stuff that it gets
laid down on whatever convenient surface and subsequently covered up (or
worse, in the other stuff and carried completely away ) that's the
real problem....

Now for the other wondrous alternatives...

Posted to rec.woodworking

So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???

David Merrill

I saw a guy who had it clipped to the bill of his ball cap, along with a
few other little things.

He wore a hat 24/7 though and had different ones for different
tasks/occasions. They were like Mr. Rogers' shoes and sweaters.

He walked in the door to the shop, immediately swapped caps from the
rack. Same when he walked out.

He had one for driving the car, driving the truck, driving the
tractor/mower, one for the house, one for work, one for church, he may
have slept in one for all I know. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Merrill wrote:

Just got my closeted dust collector on a separate 220v circuit and
set up to run from an X-10 appliance module plugged into an outlet
controlled by an hp-rated wall switch. Pushed the on-button on the
little pocket remote and it works!

Next thought was that little, 2 x 1-1/2 x 3/8-inch, plastic remote is
going to get misplaced in no time (67 year-old) if I don't get it on
a lanyard to hang around my neck. Looked at a leather shoelace and
immediately realized what a BAD IDEA that was -- having a strong cord
dangling from my neck while working around rotating machinery. So,
keep it in my pocket? -- nah, it'll end up in the washing machine or
the nightstand. Belt loop? -- nah, don't want that part of my
anatomy sucked into a machine either.

So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???

David Merrill

Get one of those carriers people use to strap an iPod to their upper arm.
They're secure but also out of the way, and it's not like you're going to
forget it's there like if you put the remote in a pocket.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Best system I worked with was having three remotes, on a short chain
at three different strategic points in the shop. Needless to say, one
was never more than a step or two away, could always find them and the
extra step or two was welll worth the never-lost concept.

For me right now I simply crawl over three rows of stored machinery,
hang down and stretch as far as I can to reach the fricking (non-
magnetic) swith on my Griz DC that is about one inch off the floor. I
keep meaing to rewire that sucker into a mag switch at least at hip
height if not on a leader.

On Jun 19, 12:58*pm, "David Merrill" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???

David Merrill

I saw a guy who had it clipped to the bill of his ball cap, along with a
few other little things.

He wore a hat 24/7 though and had different ones for different
tasks/occasions. They were like Mr. Rogers' shoes and sweaters.

He walked in the door to the shop, immediately swapped caps from the
rack. Same when he walked out.

He had one for driving the car, driving the truck, driving the
tractor/mower, one for the house, one for work, one for church, he may
have slept in one for all I know. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I took the remotes for my DC and my stereo system and I attached magnets to
the back. I stick them to metal a plate that I screwed to the ceiling
(basement shop) in the center of my shop. When I carry them around I stick
them to machine I am using at the time. Works OK but they still end up in
the bedroom, laundry room, stuck to the fridge. etc.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

David Merrill wrote:
So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???

OK, be right witchya' --- ok, now remind me, what was it you asked for
that sent me in here????

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Merrill wrote:
Just got my closeted dust collector on a separate 220v circuit and set up to
run from an X-10 appliance module plugged into an outlet controlled by an
hp-rated wall switch. Pushed the on-button on the little pocket remote and
it works!

Next thought was that little, 2 x 1-1/2 x 3/8-inch, plastic remote is going
to get misplaced in no time (67 year-old) if I don't get it on a lanyard to
hang around my neck. Looked at a leather shoelace and immediately realized
what a BAD IDEA that was -- having a strong cord dangling from my neck while
working around rotating machinery. So, keep it in my pocket? -- nah, it'll
end up in the washing machine or the nightstand. Belt loop? -- nah, don't
want that part of my anatomy sucked into a machine either.

So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???

How about getting a couple of remotes, and attaching them to the machines.

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
For me right now I simply crawl over three rows of stored machinery,
hang down and stretch as far as I can to reach the fricking (non-
magnetic) swith on my Griz DC that is about one inch off the floor. I
keep meaing to rewire that sucker into a mag switch at least at hip
height if not on a leader.

My intent was/is??? to put current-sense switch on the equipment and
eliminate the remotes--but since that was 10 years now, I don't suppose
it'll happen...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
David Merrill wrote:
[...]

I bought my remotepower device from Grizzly. It came with 2 remotes. Each
had a key chain hooked to them. I have one hanging on my tablesaw and one
on a nail hanging by my jointer which is close to the various dust collector
direction valves I have piped to various machines. WORKS for me!!!

signature database 4171 (20090619) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4171 (20090619) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Merrill wrote:
[...]

Use a safety "break away" neck lanyard. See (watch for word wrap):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017W1PLS/...linkCod e=asn

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote

I bought my remotepower device from Grizzly. It came with 2 remotes. Each
had a key chain hooked to them. I have one hanging on my tablesaw and one
on a nail hanging by my jointer which is close to the various dust
collector direction valves I have piped to various machines. WORKS for
me!!!

I have seen that type of thing work well. I worked in a basement shop for
awhile where the remotes all hung off the ceiling.

The other thing I saw was to tie a big peice of orange safety tape off of
it. Ya know, that type of stuff used at crime scenes and traffic accidents.
That way you just look for the dash of color against the dust/tool
background.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Merrill" wrote in message
Just got my closeted dust collector on a separate 220v circuit and set up
run from an X-10 appliance module plugged into an outlet controlled by an
hp-rated wall switch. Pushed the on-button on the little pocket remote
and
it works!

Attached one of those big carabiner things to mine and hang it from what
ever tool I just finished with, usually on a crank or handle of some sort.
When I need it I just go to the last machine I used it with and there it is.
Second one set up same way hangs on wall by DC, I think the battery may
still be good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:58:34 GMT, "David Merrill"
wrote:

Just got my closeted dust collector on a separate 220v circuit and set up to
run from an X-10 appliance module plugged into an outlet controlled by an
hp-rated wall switch. Pushed the on-button on the little pocket remote and
it works!

Next thought was that little, 2 x 1-1/2 x 3/8-inch, plastic remote is going
to get misplaced in no time (67 year-old) if I don't get it on a lanyard to
hang around my neck. Looked at a leather shoelace and immediately realized
what a BAD IDEA that was -- having a strong cord dangling from my neck while
working around rotating machinery. So, keep it in my pocket? -- nah, it'll
end up in the washing machine or the nightstand. Belt loop? -- nah, don't
want that part of my anatomy sucked into a machine either.

So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???

Mine is larger, but I keep it clipped to the outside of my back
pocket. I never sit in the shop, and it's out of the way. Once in a
while I forget to take it off before leaving, but that is quickly
discovered as soon as I sit down elsewhere. Of course the shop is in
the basement and I end up not sitting down until I'm in my office on
the 2nd floor. Tried the front pocket where I could see it, but I was
always bumping it on or off by accident.

When I take it off, it's either left on the workbench or TS, whichever
has less crap piled on it.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have wrapped my vacuum remote in yellow tape so it is easy to find (I'm
only 52, but I get what your're talking about)

My remote system is a Woods, and the button box has a key chain from which
it hangs up.
I try to leave it in a consistent location - for me it is on a hook on my
router table.
I can usually find it quickly. My shop is too small for a DC unit, but I
use it on a shop vac.

btw I have recently seen remote control appliance controllers at WalMart
that are listed as 15 amp for under $25. One is a single outlet, another is
3 outlets, with 3 remotes of 3 buttons.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Merrill wrote:

[...]

One of the pockets of my shop apron. I do have to take it out when doing
some kinds of work as it tends to get pushed against what I'm working on
and turn on the dust collector inadvertently.

My Long Ranger is giving me some severe grief after having it for 5 years.
It is starting to reset itself at the base station and I have to re-sync it
it with the remote, often a couple times during a shop session.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

When I first got my remote, I lost it frequently. Tried leaving it in the same place all the time,
but usually forgot. Then I decided to experiment with a shop apron. Found a $3 canvas apron at HF
and clipped the remote to the top left, just about shirt pocket high. I hang the apron on the end
of the RAS when I'm done for the day, and it is in plain sight the next time I walk into the shop.
I have not lost it once in the last three years. Best $3 I've spent in a long time, plus I never
have to look for my Lee Valley right handed tape measure (great product), my pencil, my note pad or
whatever else I decide to carry around with me at the time.

Regards,
Roy.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Merrill" wrote in message
Just got my closeted dust collector on a separate 220v circuit and set up
run from an X-10 appliance module plugged into an outlet controlled by an
hp-rated wall switch. Pushed the on-button on the little pocket remote
and
it works!

So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???

My apron carries a 10' tape, 6" scale, pencil, and the remote clipped into a
pocket. Those things are always put back too, after use. They are about
the only dependable easily found tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

:
[...]

What part breaks away? I looked at these, and couldn't figure out if it was
the item you attach to the lanyard, or the entire strap that would go
around your neck. In a shop, you'd want the latter --

Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:

What part breaks away? I looked at these, and couldn't figure out if it was
the item you attach to the lanyard, or the entire strap that would go
around your neck. In a shop, you'd want the latter --

It looks to me as if it separates in the middle of the lanyard (the part
that would be at the back of your neck).

Hmm - seems like you could make one of those from an ordinary lanyard
and a couple of pop beads (remember those?)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

: Use a safety "break away" neck lanyard. See (watch for word wrap):

:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017W1PLS/...linkCod e=asn

What part breaks away? I looked at these, and couldn't figure out if it
was
the item you attach to the lanyard, or the entire strap that would go
around your neck. In a shop, you'd want the latter --

Andy Barss

Click on the images below the default image. It shows the break-away as a
plug and socket. Many colors tool

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Velcro it to your apron.

One other thing, be careful and mindful as to where you set the remote, I
have come dangerously close to sucking it up while cleaning up the top of my
TS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Our son-in-law has his attached to a bright orange tennis ball with a
screw-eye and nut. At least he doesn't have trouble finding it.

Ron
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Don't have a remote for the DC, but do use one for the air filter on the
ceiling..
I use Velcro to stick it to the front of the bench where I can get to it
easily..

I have a wired remote switch for my DC... It's a plastic outlet/switch box on 12
or 13 feet of cable with a large R.E. magnet epoxied to the back...
I just stick it to whatever tool I'm using at the time..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

I have a wired remote switch for my DC...

A wired remote?? Isn't that an oxymoron?

It's a plastic outlet/switch box on 12
or 13 feet of cable with a large R.E. magnet epoxied to the back...
I just stick it to whatever tool I'm using at the time..

mac

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Merrill wrote:
[...]

Use a flat black shoelace or something similar. Cut it where it will
be behind your neck and glue or sew a bit of velcro to the ends. They
had similar straps on some pacifiers when my 32 year old was a babe.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Hi. I'll be your tagline for this evening.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
David Merrill wrote:
[...]

How about hanging it from a piece of 2 pound test fishing line?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Mine usually ends up on the Beismeyer fence on top of my table saw,
since the table saw gets the most use. I like pocket T-shirts because
that's where I can find a pencil quickly, but the pocket is a bit too
small to hold the DC remote. Most shop aprons have lots of pockets, I
hate to admit it, but I have never washed my shop apron.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:18:29 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote

I have a wired remote switch for my DC...

A wired remote?? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Don't think so.. they do advertise "wireless remotes"..

The DC switch is on the DC motor, I plug the DC into an outlet box with 2 runs
of wire, to an inline switch and to a plug....
What would you call it?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:18:29 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote

I have a wired remote switch for my DC...

A wired remote?? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Don't think so.. they do advertise "wireless remotes"..

The DC switch is on the DC motor, I plug the DC into an outlet box with 2
runs
of wire, to an inline switch and to a plug....
What would you call it?

Just kiddin' ya mac. Back in the old days, all remotes came on a wire. Then
the TV remote entered our culture. And big butts began growing everywhere.
Now almost everything is wireless.

My first TV mute switch was a peice of speaker cord wired into the TV
speaker. I had an inline lamp switch on the other end. I would flip the
switch and it interupted the speaker wire. Blessed silence during the
commercials. People thought I was some kinda electronic genius. Then the
TV remote came along. I was no longer *smart*. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 19:33:41 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:18:29 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote

I have a wired remote switch for my DC...

A wired remote?? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Don't think so.. they do advertise "wireless remotes"..

The DC switch is on the DC motor, I plug the DC into an outlet box with 2 runs
of wire, to an inline switch and to a plug....
What would you call it?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I saw a really neat idea for a DC on/off mechanism, cheap too. A
flexible cord line running around the shop, similar to what they had
on a bus or train, trips a single switch near the DC. Very nice
remote control, yet no wireless remote device to lose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:05:39 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

I saw a really neat idea for a DC on/off mechanism, cheap too. A
flexible cord line running around the shop, similar to what they had
on a bus or train, trips a single switch near the DC. Very nice
remote control, yet no wireless remote device to lose.

A friend of mine did that, with a few washers here and there to bring the twine
down to his reach... Seemed to work well for him until he wore out the spring
on his shop-made switch..
Of course, he was about 8" shorter than I am, so I used to be scraping my hat on
the damn washers all of the time..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote

I bought my remotepower device from Grizzly. It came with 2 remotes. Each
had a key chain hooked to them. I have one hanging on my tablesaw and
one on a nail hanging by my jointer which is close to the various dust
collector direction valves I have piped to various machines. WORKS for
me!!!

I have seen that type of thing work well. I worked in a basement shop for
awhile where the remotes all hung off the ceiling.

The other thing I saw was to tie a big peice of orange safety tape off of
it. Ya know, that type of stuff used at crime scenes and traffic
accidents. That way you just look for the dash of color against the
dust/tool background.

do what the middle school my wife taught at did.

tie it to a toilet seat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote

I bought my remotepower device from Grizzly. It came with 2 remotes.
Each had a key chain hooked to them. I have one hanging on my tablesaw
and one on a nail hanging by my jointer which is close to the various
dust collector direction valves I have piped to various machines. WORKS
for me!!!

I have seen that type of thing work well. I worked in a basement shop
for awhile where the remotes all hung off the ceiling.

The other thing I saw was to tie a big peice of orange safety tape off of
it. Ya know, that type of stuff used at crime scenes and traffic
accidents. That way you just look for the dash of color against the
dust/tool background.

do what the middle school my wife taught at did.

tie it to a toilet seat.

But then I'd have to go into the bathroom whenever I wanted to switch the
dust collector on or off! ;_)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have been using your exact setup for over 10 years with good
results. I do have it on a lanyard and hang it on the same hook
as my apron. When I get the apron I put the lanyard on and tuck
the remote into a pocket on the apron. Never had a problem (or even
near problem) doing this. You should get at least one additional remote
as a backup in case the one you have fails. These can be bought from
x10.com (a bit pricey at $19.95). If you are really cautious and
concerned just buy a few remotes and scatter them around the shop.

Marty

David Merrill wrote:
[...]

Remote on 2HP Harbor Freight Dust Collector? trs80 Woodworking 6 April 3rd 07 03:07 PM
Carry On! SteveB Metalworking 2 November 26th 05 12:32 AM
Remote control for dust collection? Geo Woodworking 9 June 16th 05 03:40 PM
dust collector remote controll - cheap, and you can't lose it jduprie Woodworking 9 December 31st 03 12:24 PM
Question about remote for dust collector Dale Woodworking 7 August 14th 03 09:42 AM