Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Extra long up-spiral router bits

Have searched and cannot find a 1/2 in. up-cut spiral router bit
longer than 2 in. cutting depth. Does any body know if any up-cut
spiral router bits are made with a cutting depth longer than 2 in?

Vic
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Victor" wrote:

Have searched and cannot find a 1/2 in. up-cut spiral router bit
longer than 2 in. cutting depth.

Check with milling machine cutter suppliers.

Should be able to find a 4 flute cutter.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 15, 10:58*pm, Victor wrote:
Have searched and cannot find a 1/2 in. up-cut spiral router bit
longer than 2 in. cutting depth. *Does any body know if any up-cut
spiral router bits are made with a cutting depth longer than 2 in?

Vic

www.carbide.com carries Amana, CMT and a host of others. Try them. I
find them great to deal with.

http://www.royceayr.com/pdfs/catalog...%202008-08.pdf

If that link doesn't work for you, go in the front door at http://www.royceayr.com
and click on the SOLID CARBIDE link.
If those guys don't have what you like, I would have no idea who
would.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 16, 5:12*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jun 15, 10:58*pm, Victor wrote:

Have searched and cannot find a 1/2 in. up-cut spiral router bit
longer than 2 in. cutting depth. *Does any body know if any up-cut
spiral router bits are made with a cutting depth longer than 2 in?

www.carbideprocessors.com/store

or call 800 346-8274 and we'll get it for you

How long do you want it to be?

Tom

http://www.royceayr.com/pdfs/catalog...arbide%20Route...

If that link doesn't work for you, go in the front door athttp://www.royceayr.com
and click on the SOLID CARBIDE link.
If those guys don't have what you like, I would have no idea who
would.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Victor wrote:

Have searched and cannot find a 1/2 in. up-cut spiral router bit
longer than 2 in. cutting depth. Does any body know if any up-cut
spiral router bits are made with a cutting depth longer than 2 in?

'Scuse me for being nosey, but why is it necessary to remove that much
material in a single pass?

Even with a half-ton CNC router I haven't found it necessary to cut
deeper than one bit diameter at a time, and use multiple passes as needed...

....and a two-inch depth of cut will already be asking a lot of any
portable router.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

One possibility (just a guess but it is why I have thought about such
lengths), is to cut tennons with a Multi-router type setup. This is
essentially a horizontial mill and the length of the cutter decides
the total possible length of the tennon, so if you want more than 2"
tennons, you need a longer cutter. Again, just a guess. Also could be
trying to do template following on material deeper than 2".

I think I found 2 3/4 somehwere.

On Jun 16, 7:57*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
Victor wrote:
Have searched and cannot find a 1/2 in. up-cut spiral router bit
longer than 2 in. cutting depth. *Does any body know if any up-cut
spiral router bits are made with a cutting depth longer than 2 in?

'Scuse me for being nosey, but why is it necessary to remove that much
material in a single pass?

Even with a half-ton CNC router I haven't found it necessary to cut
deeper than one bit diameter at a time, and use multiple passes as needed....

...and a two-inch depth of cut will already be asking a lot of any
portable router.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
One possibility (just a guess but it is why I have thought about such
lengths), is to cut tennons with a Multi-router type setup. This is
essentially a horizontial mill and the length of the cutter decides
the total possible length of the tennon, so if you want more than 2"
tennons, you need a longer cutter. Again, just a guess. Also could be
trying to do template following on material deeper than 2".

I think I found 2 3/4 somehwere.

Hmm - ok, but there should be some way to do that kind of job with
multiple passes. That way the cutting length would matter much less than
the total bit length.

I think both KBC Tools (www.kbctools.com) and Enco (www.use-enco.com)
have extra long 1/2" carbide end mills (equal to or better than most
router bits and frequently less expensive), but I don't have either
catalog handy.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 16, 11:09*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

On the multi-router using the standard method for cutting tennons the
tip of the cutter is creating the shoulder and the side of the cutter
is creating the face of the tennon so the length of cutter that can
extend from the collet is the absolute max length of tennon that can
be cut.

That being said, many (not all) user of multi router use it for
mortises and use floating tennons exactly because the tennon cutting
is a little less acurate and consistent because of the nature of the
cutting geometry with so much bit length involved..
Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

On the multi-router using the standard method for cutting tennons the
tip of the cutter is creating the shoulder and the side of the cutter
is creating the face of the tennon so the length of cutter that can
extend from the collet is the absolute max length of tennon that can
be cut.

Understood. That necessitates a bit long enough to reach the shoulder -
but if the tenon is cut with multiple passes, the cutting length need
not equal the length of the tenon.

That being said, many (not all) user of multi router use it for
mortises and use floating tennons exactly because the tennon cutting
is a little less acurate and consistent because of the nature of the
cutting geometry with so much bit length involved..

Yuppers, and if the MR is reasonably stable (and I assume it is),
accuracy should be actually be improved with multi-pass cutting because
there is less stress on everything.

I suspect that multi-pass cutting is more of a hassle - but I also
suspect that bearing life would be extended by taking lighter cuts.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, not that it really matters much but I don't think you understand
completly.

Look at this picture
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...apalooza/o.jpg

You can't cut a tenon longer than the bit in this configuration.

On Jun 16, 2:31*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look at this picturehttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j271/schroede/Morris%20Chair%20Lala...

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

The understanding of 'cutting' length vs 'bit' length. You can have a
4" long bit with a section of 'cut' which could be 1" long, hence the
multiple passes req'd.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ahh, I was reading too fast, so sure I am the only smart one.

Yup bit lth not cut lth is the ticket.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Ahh, I was reading too fast, so sure I am the only smart one.

No worry. If you like long bits, KBC offers

1-3242-027 1/2X3X6 2 FLUTE LONG CARBIDE END MILL (85459) $70.59

and Enco offers a somewhat pricey version at

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...MPXNO=22502845

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Am I missing something? I reread the OP's post and couldn't find
any mention of a single pass.
Maybe he just wants to make mortises that are deeper than 2"
Art

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Victor wrote:

'Scuse me for being nosey, but why is it necessary to remove that much
material in a single pass?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus wrote:
Am I missing something? I reread the OP's post and couldn't find
any mention of a single pass.
Maybe he just wants to make mortises that are deeper than 2"

You may be right. He seemed to make the point that he couldn't find a
cutting edge length longer than 2", and I interpreted that as meaning
that he wanted a cutting edge length at least as long as the tenon...

Perhaps I misinterpreted.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:57:50 -0500, Morris Dovey
wrote:

'Scuse me for being nosey, but why is it necessary to remove that much
material in a single pass?

Even with a half-ton CNC router I haven't found it necessary to cut
deeper than one bit diameter at a time, and use multiple passes as needed...

...and a two-inch depth of cut will already be asking a lot of any
portable router

Thanks for all the reply's. I bought high speed end mills with a
cutting flute of 3 in. The reason I wanted it longer than 2 in., is I
use the bit in a plunge router to cut the mortise for loose tenons
when working with wide material.

Vic
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey writes:
Artemus wrote:
Am I missing something? I reread the OP's post and couldn't find
any mention of a single pass.
Maybe he just wants to make mortises that are deeper than 2"

You may be right. He seemed to make the point that he couldn't find a
cutting edge length longer than 2", and I interpreted that as meaning
that he wanted a cutting edge length at least as long as the tenon...

Perhaps I misinterpreted.

The OP may want a spiral bit with a bearing (I'm told they exist) for
template routing 10/4 stock. My neighbor just asked after such a
beast - he's a HS teacher and the shop teacher recommended he use on
instead of the normal two-flute cutters.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't you just love all the speculation. Glad you found a solution.

My little pet peeve on loose tenons is to suggest pinning both sides
if it is a joint that will take much pull out or racking forces. The
beauty of a traditional pinned tenon is the mechanical strength of the
pin far outlasts most glues so the joint has a lifetime of integrity.
If the glue fails in a loose tenon that isn't pinned... well, that's
all she wrote.