Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Extra long up-spiral router bits

Don't you just love all the speculation. Glad you found a solution.

My little pet peeve on loose tenons is to suggest pinning both sides
if it is a joint that will take much pull out or racking forces. The
beauty of a traditional pinned tenon is the mechanical strength of the
pin far outlasts most glues so the joint has a lifetime of integrity.
If the glue fails in a loose tenon that isn't pinned... well, that's
all she wrote.

On Jun 16, 5:30*pm, Victor wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:57:50 -0500, Morris Dovey
wrote:

'Scuse me for being nosey, but why is it necessary to remove that much
material in a single pass?

Even with a half-ton CNC router I haven't found it necessary to cut
deeper than one bit diameter at a time, and use multiple passes as needed...

...and a two-inch depth of cut will already be asking a lot of any
portable router

Thanks for all the reply's. I bought high speed end mills with a
cutting flute of 3 in. The reason I wanted it longer than 2 in., is I
use the bit in a plunge router to cut the mortise for loose tenons
when working with wide material.

Vic