T.C. Mann

Default Do Extra-Long 1/16" Drill Bits Exist?

I have been unable to locate a source for 6" long 1/16" H.S. steel
drill bits. Does anyone have a source for these? I only need these
to drill through cast aluminum at low RPM. Alternatively, if I got
some .062" piano wire could I use my drill bit sharpener to make my
own? Thank you.
Charles A. Sherwood

I have been unable to locate a source for 6" long 1/16" H.S. steel
drill bits. Does anyone have a source for these? I only need these

I bought 4 inch long bits #50 drillbits from MSC.
michael

"T.C. Mann" wrote:

I have been unable to locate a source for 6" long 1/16" H.S. steel
drill bits. Does anyone have a source for these? I only need these
to drill through cast aluminum at low RPM. Alternatively, if I got
some .062" piano wire could I use my drill bit sharpener to make my
own? Thank you.

Precision Twist Drill shows 6" and 12" aircraft style drills in their
catalogue. MSC or any machinist supply house would be a good bet.

michael

Jim

In article , cas@w-
sherwood.ih.lucent.com says...
I have been unable to locate a source for 6" long 1/16" H.S. steel
drill bits. Does anyone have a source for these? I only need these

I bought 4 inch long bits #50 drillbits from MSC.

Here are some 6 inchers.

http://www.biscofl.com/aircraft_drill_bits.htm
Boris Beizer

"michael" wrote in message
"T.C. Mann" wrote:

I have been unable to locate a source for 6" long 1/16" H.S. steel
drill bits. Does anyone have a source for these? I only need these
to drill through cast aluminum at low RPM. Alternatively, if I got
some .062" piano wire could I use my drill bit sharpener to make my
own? Thank you.

The important question is not where to get such drill bits, or how to make
them. Assuming you have the bit, how do you manage to drill a straight hole
with them. That hole will twist and turn like a corkscrew. An EDM would
probably be a better choice.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com

Frank Ford

A quick search turned up six choices for 6" long 1/16" bits at MSC.

I've pasted the incredibly long URL of my search below, so maybe you
can jump right to it by pasting in your browser window. The key was
to ask for "aircraft" length, rather than extra long. . .

http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatSectio...=6&NameVector%
B1%5D.Name=Size&NameVector%5B1%5D.Value=.0625&Name Vector.length=2&View.x.x=121&View.x.y=5

Cheers,

Frank Ford
www.frets.com

Machineman

While it is probably not practical for most people on the list, there
are EDM drilling machines that will EDM a .030 hole through 12" of
material. Neat little machines, one portable unit spec's .3mm to 3,,
dia x 350mm deep. They use brass tubing with special guides at the
workpiece entrance similar to the way a gun drill works.
http://www.octec.com.tw/protable_drilling_edm.html
Never used one, but did spec one out for a job once.

"michael" wrote in message

"T.C. Mann" wrote:

[...]

James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI
Canada
Machinist - 3D Cad Design - Amateur Astronomer

http://www.jamescrombie.com