Brendan Jones

Default Sharpening Drill Bits

Does anyone have experience with the Drill Doctor? Does it really work
well? What is the best place to buy one or where can I get a good tool to
sharpen my bits?

Also, does anyone have advice on where to get drill bits for drilling into
1/4" mild steel? Even with reduced speed and constant lube, my bits are
dull after only a few holes. Cobalt seems to work better but still doesn't
last long. Anyone know where to get carbide bits for drilling into steel?

Thanks,
Brendan

Steve Lusardi

Brendon,
The Drill Doctor will work fine is the hands of a tool person, but like most
things, it is not a substitute for skill. Your problem is probably tool
abuse and no machine will fix that. Normal HSS will drill hundreds of holes
in mild steel and still have an edge. I obviously am not where you are, so
there is no way that I know for sure, but I think you are spinning the drill
far too fast. Slow down your speed, try to keep an even pressure and angle
on the drill, use enough pressure to generate a continuous flow of chips,
feel the tool cutting, listen to the noise, use cutting oil and don't let
the drill or the work get hot.
Steve
"Brendan Jones" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience with the Drill Doctor? Does it really work
well? What is the best place to buy one or where can I get a good tool to
sharpen my bits?

Also, does anyone have advice on where to get drill bits for drilling into
1/4" mild steel? Even with reduced speed and constant lube, my bits are
dull after only a few holes. Cobalt seems to work better but still doesn't
last long. Anyone know where to get carbide bits for drilling into steel?

Thanks,
Brendan

Abrasha

Brendan Jones wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the Drill Doctor?

I used one that belongs to a friend. It worked great, but is does not do small
drills well at all. Anything under 3/32" is a no go.

Does it really work
well?

Yes.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Bart D. Hull

Default Sharpening Drill Bits - small bits - How?

What does sharpen small bits well?

I drill safety wire holes in DIN 10.9 Metric bolts (better than SAE Grade 8)
and I only get 10 or so holes per carbide drill bit, 3/32 if remember correctly
using cutting fluid.

I use the above mentioned bolts in constructing the airplane engine in the link
below.

P.S. Abrasha, I wish I had your precision machining talents when I was working
on "gundrilling" two 6" x 1/8" Angle of Attack probe for measuring angle the
wing is at to prevent a stall. I had to get a machinist from Allied Signal to
give me a hand. Bummer when you can't do it all yourself.

Bart
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Sharpening Router Bits Martin UK diy 2 February 14th 04 06:36 AM
drilling 'actual' sized holes with HSS drill bits bill yohler Metalworking 17 August 5th 03 11:49 AM
S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter Charlie UK diy 2 July 11th 03 01:45 AM