Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Extra long up-spiral router bits

On Jun 16, 11:09*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
One possibility (just a guess but it is why I have thought about such
lengths), is to cut tennons with a Multi-router type setup. This is
essentially a horizontial mill and the length of the cutter decides
the total possible length of the tennon, so if you want more than 2"
tennons, you need a longer cutter. Again, just a guess. Also could be
trying to do template following on material deeper than 2".

I think I found 2 3/4 somehwere.

Hmm - ok, but there should be some way to do that kind of job with
multiple passes. That way the cutting length would matter much less than
the total bit length.

I think both KBC Tools (www.kbctools.com) and Enco (www.use-enco.com)
have extra long 1/2" carbide end mills (equal to or better than most
router bits and frequently less expensive), but I don't have either
catalog handy.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

On the multi-router using the standard method for cutting tennons the
tip of the cutter is creating the shoulder and the side of the cutter
is creating the face of the tennon so the length of cutter that can
extend from the collet is the absolute max length of tennon that can
be cut.

That being said, many (not all) user of multi router use it for
mortises and use floating tennons exactly because the tennon cutting
is a little less acurate and consistent because of the nature of the
cutting geometry with so much bit length involved..