Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Extra long up-spiral router bits

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
One possibility (just a guess but it is why I have thought about such
lengths), is to cut tennons with a Multi-router type setup. This is
essentially a horizontial mill and the length of the cutter decides
the total possible length of the tennon, so if you want more than 2"
tennons, you need a longer cutter. Again, just a guess. Also could be
trying to do template following on material deeper than 2".

I think I found 2 3/4 somehwere.

Hmm - ok, but there should be some way to do that kind of job with
multiple passes. That way the cutting length would matter much less than
the total bit length.

I think both KBC Tools (www.kbctools.com) and Enco (www.use-enco.com)
have extra long 1/2" carbide end mills (equal to or better than most
router bits and frequently less expensive), but I don't have either
catalog handy.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar