Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!

What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?

U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening
knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted
opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would also
include all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket knives... Seems
that our utility knives and other knife tools are covered under this too.

"It is now CBP's position that knives incorporating spring- and
release-assisted opening mechanisms are prohibited..." from
http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20C...g%20Knives.pdf

I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the path to
http://www.kniferights.org/

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
m:

Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!

What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?

U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted
opening knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only
outlaw assisted opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a
switchblade would also include all one-handed opening knives and most
other pocket knives... Seems that our utility knives and other knife
tools are covered under this too.

"It is now CBP's position that knives incorporating spring- and
release-assisted opening mechanisms are prohibited..." from
http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20C...uling%20-%20As
sisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf

I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the
path to http://www.kniferights.org/

John

Entering my place of work (VA Hospital) requires me to show ID and send
my briefcase or backpack through the Xray machine. If I leave my Swiss
Army-type knife in there I get a hard time. As an employee I go through
a minimally active magnetometer, so my pants pocket is the obvious
alternative. It's nonsense, because I have many sharp or otherwise
potentially hazardous things in my lab, but them's the rules. They do
make some sense, considering the large quantity of confiscated bad things
I have seen in the police office. Also, I was amazed at what I have
seen, such as the visitor who put the thing that set off the magnetometer
in the little bypass tray meant for watches, coins, phones etc. He was
told that he couldn't bring this thing into the hospital. Either leave
it outside somewhere or with someone, or don't go in. It was a set of
heavy duty brass knuckles!!!

Oh yeah, many years ago, before these measures were implemented, an upset
diabetes patient took a handgun into the hospital, and killed his
treating physician, one of the most gentle people in the whole hospital.

When Prince Harry visited a few weeks back, there was indeed increased
security ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message m...
Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!

What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?

U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening
knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted
opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would also
include all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket knives... Seems
that our utility knives and other knife tools are covered under this too.

"It is now CBP's position that knives incorporating spring- and
release-assisted opening mechanisms are prohibited..." from
http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20C...g%20Knives.pdf

I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the path to
http://www.kniferights.org/

John

John,

That's a 63 page document that I don't have time to read thoroughly right now but a quick brief shows that you left out the word "imported" in your haste to spread the news. After looking at some of the imported knives being denied entry into the US, I would agree that those I did read about are not general utility knives and certainly do fall into the category of a weapon..

They define "switchblade" and the reasoning behind the ruling. What part is making my pocket knives illegal?

There are people out there that would insist that a fully automatic weapon is a necessary hunting gun - right up until they have been shot at by one.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!

What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?

U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening
knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted
opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would
also include all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket
knives... Seems that our utility knives and other knife tools are
covered under this too.

"It is now CBP's position that knives incorporating spring- and
release-assisted opening mechanisms are prohibited..." from
http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20C...g%20Knives.pdf

I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the
path to http://www.kniferights.org/

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country
will be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country
will be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another Timothy
McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country
will be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another Timothy
McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

What does that have to do with it? Anyone who thinks that morality can
be legislated is part of the problem.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob S. wrote:

There are people out there that would insist that a fully automatic
weapon is a necessary hunting gun - right up until they have been
shot at by one.

Bob S.

Can you quote any of them? I've followed the arguments of the gun-rights
crowd somewhat, and I don't recall seeing anyone insist that they need
full-auto weapons for hunting. I'd be interested in knowing where I could
find statements from people that they need machine guns for hunting, got any
links handy?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Swingman
wrote:

Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country
will be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another Timothy
McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

What does that have to do with it? Anyone who thinks that morality can
be legislated is part of the problem.

Here in Canada hand guns are very tightly controlled and legislated.
Doesn't stop the gang-bangers from having shootouts in downtone Toronto
and killing innocent bystanders.

The mayor of Toronto decided that banning shooting clubs within the
city limits would somehow stop this behaviour. What a putz.

As a resident of Toronto, I can state confidently that Miller is well
beyond any definition of putz.

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Han wrote:
Exactly. But that is not my question. Why did an innocent guard at a
museum have to die? Why did all those people in the Murrah building in
Oklahoma City have to die? Or is that the risk of living?

It's a risk of living in a (moderately) open society, yes...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another Timothy
McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

What does that have to do with it? Anyone who thinks that morality can
be legislated is part of the problem.

Exactly. But that is not my question. Why did an innocent guard at a
museum have to die? Why did all those people in the Murrah building in
Oklahoma City have to die? Or is that the risk of living?

I fail to see what Oklahoma and Timothy McVeigh have to do with gun/knife
control! Perhaps I am confused, but perhaps controlling the sale of
fertilizer and diesel fuel could have prevented Oklahoma!
The point that so many gun control people miss is that if bad people want to
do bad things they will find a way.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

Entering my place of work (VA Hospital) requires me to show ID and
send my briefcase or backpack through the Xray machine. If I leave
my Swiss Army-type knife in there I get a hard time. As an employee
I go through a minimally active magnetometer, so my pants pocket is
the obvious alternative. It's nonsense, because I have many sharp or
otherwise potentially hazardous things in my lab, but them's the
rules.

Meh!

In January, 2002 (right after 9-11) a senior citizen was discovered trying
to sneak a "Ninja Star" weapon aboard a flight leaving Sky Harbor airport in
Phoenix. Pulled aside and questioned, it was discovered he was previously
responsible for bringing down 34 aircraft with the loss of life of everybody
aboard those planes!

His name was Joe Foss.

Foss was the former governor of South Dakota, retired brigadier general in
the South Dakota National Guard, for twenty-three years the host of the TV
program "The American Sportsman," former executive director of the American
Football League, and even graced the cover of Time Magazine.

He had just left a board of directors meeting of the National Rifle
Association and was on his way to the United States Military Academy at West
Point to deliver a guest lecture on patriotism.

The "Ninja Star" gizmo? It was the Medal of Honor given him by Franklin
Roosevelt for downing 23 Japanese planes during the battle of Guadalcanal.

When told he could continue his flight if he discarded this potential weapon
("In the bucket, pops!") he is reported to have said: "You've done ****ed
with the wrong Marine, sonny!"

The only thing that could have made this episode more ironic would have been
to have it happen at Joe's home airport in Sioux Falls. The name of the
airport is "Joe Foss Field."

-----------
The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the

CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR
CAPTAIN JOSEPH J. FOSS
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For outstanding heroism and courage above and beyond the call of duty as
Executive Officer of a Marine Fighting Squadron, at Guadalcanal, Solomon
Islands. Engaging in almost daily combat with the enemy from October 9 to
November 19, 1942, Captain Foss personally shot down twenty-three Japanese
planes and damaged others so severely that their destruction was extremely
probable...

Captain Foss entered the service from South Dakota.

/S/ Franklin D. Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob S. wrote:

There are people out there that would insist that a fully automatic
weapon is a necessary hunting gun - right up until they have been
shot at by one.

Conversely, there are people who would believe a fully-automatic gun would
be nice whenever they are shot at by anything.

Remember the rule: "He who puts the most metal in the air generally wins."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country
will be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another Timothy
McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

Can't stop the McVeighs. You'd have to ban bat **** and diesel fuel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country
will be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another Timothy
McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

Nothing more than what we're doing.

While tragic, the actions of McVeigh or von Brunn are the price we must pay
for freedom.

You don't ban the practice of medicine because of the occasional screw-up
due to incompetence, error, or negligence. Those you accept as regrettably
inevitable while trying to minimize their appearance with actions short of
interfering with all the cases where the regulation would get in the way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another
Timothy McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

What does that have to do with it? Anyone who thinks that morality
can be legislated is part of the problem.

Here in Canada hand guns are very tightly controlled and legislated.
Doesn't stop the gang-bangers from having shootouts in downtone
Toronto and killing innocent bystanders.

The mayor of Toronto decided that banning shooting clubs within the
city limits would somehow stop this behaviour. What a putz.

Interestingly, here in the U.S., the trend has been toward loosening
restrictions on guns.

Your mayor makes a fundamental error in his calculus. How many of those who
suffered a gunshot actually needed killing?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country
will be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another Timothy
McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

Well, we could pass legislation to ban diesel fuel and ammonia and
chicken guano and...

....or we could just pass legislation to make murder illegal.

Hmm, that probably wouldn't work - perhaps if we just dis-armed all
newborns...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Swingman" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:
[...]

Precisely! Even the Pointy Stick is banned!

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Han" wrote in message
Swingman wrote in
:

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country
will be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another Timothy
McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

Stop fertilizing crops.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:130620091300057216%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , HeyBub
wrote:

Your mayor makes a fundamental error in his calculus. How many of those
who
suffered a gunshot actually needed killing?

Not my mayor, Toronto's mayor.

My major is a putz too, but the worst he's done is pass a bylaw against
public urination and demand that any male visiting his office wear a
necktie. He also owns a men's clothing store.

Red Skelton comes to mind ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
Swingman wrote in
:

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country
will be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

All well and true (maybe). But what to do to prevent another Timothy
McVeigh or James von Brunn from murdering innocent people.

I can assure you of this, taking away their way of protecting themselves
sure won't help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Like sheep being lead to slauder, those that think that out lawing pocket
knives, guns, etc will curb senseless deaths, are in line for a different
method of death.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

It reminds me of Pavlov's dog.

Very predictable the way some folks will react.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob S." wrote in message

[...]

Bob,

You missed a couple points... One being that the vast majority of the knives
sold in the US are imported. Even the Boy Scout pocket knive are these days
since the demiss of Schrade and then Camillus. Rather than rewrite the
thing, following is part of an e-mail being distributed by Citizens
Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

The Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to
Keep and Bear Arms have joined with Knife Rights to help fight this
unwarranted knife grab by Customs. Alan Gottlieb CCRKBA Chairman noted, "we
stand with Knife Rights in their support of Americans' right to own and
carry the knives of their choice."

And, just a reminder, the Second Amendment doesn't say "Firearms," it says
"Arms," and knives are clearly covered.

The U.S. Government is after your Pocket Knives! In a sneak attack, U.S.
Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives
are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted opening
knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would also include
all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket knives!

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) on May 21st proposed revoking earlier
rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposed new
rule would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its new broad definition
of a switchblade could also include one-handed opening knives and could be
easily interpreted to cover most other pocket knives, even simple
old-fashioned slip-joints.

At this point, one-hand opening and assisted opening knives are 80% of U.S.
knife sales. For most knife companies, they represent all or the majority of
their product lines. These are the knives Americans take with them to work
and to play everyday.

Note, please, that CBP's interpretation of the Federal Switchblade Act forms
the basis for national, state and even local law and judicial rulings in
many cases. This ruling by CBP is NOT limited to just imports. This WILL
affect virtually everyone who carries a pocket knife, no matter the type!

CBP came up with this absurd proposal and then tried slipping it into their
regular notices, apparently hoping nobody would become aware of until too
late. They provided for only the minimum 30-day comment period, and there's
no email comments allowed. Just yesterday CBP rejected numerous requests for
an extension to the unduly short comment period. Obviously, they'd just as
soon not hear from us. We're intending to disappoint them in that.

CBP's proposal would have effects far beyond that suggested in the title of
the proposal, "Proposed Revocation Of Ruling Letters And Revocation Of
Treatment Relating To The Admissibilty [sic] Of Certain Knives With
Spring-Assisted Opening Mechanisms," which would be bad enough even if it
only did that. However, this proposal would likely make it illegal for the
estimated 40 million law-abiding Americans who own and carry pocket knives
to do so. It would also cost this country dearly in destroyed businesses,
lost jobs and ruined families.

Thousands of jobs and billions of dollars would be lost. CBP clearly appears
to not have considered the consequences of this unnecessary, inappropriate
and even illegitimate action. Since CBP is not required to consider the
effects of their actions, only Congress or the courts can rein them in. If
left to the courts, the industry and our rights will be devastated and
America will lose much, regardless of who wins the legal fight.

The definition of what is a switchblade has been clear and settled for the
most part since the Federal Switchblade Act was passed in 1958 and has been
reaffirmed by many years of legal decisions. The Act is very clear that a
switchblade must have an activating button on the handle. Without a button,
it is not a switchblade and this has been upheld by numerous cases on many
levels over the years. CBP's convoluted reasoning in their proposal to reach
back beyond the law and to expand their regulatory purview by rationalizing
"intent" as justification for this new interpretation is a stretch, at best,
and illegitimate at worst. It simply doesn't meet the common sense test.

CBP's reaching beyond the clear language of the Act in making this proposal
is particularly questionable and irreconcilable because it flies in the face
of virtually unanimous recent state court rulings (including several cases
in California, Texas, Illinois and Michigan) where the issue of
assisted-opening knives has already been decided in favor of the existing
clear interpretation, that they are not a switchblade. They cherry-picked a
few bizarre and untypical rulings from New York state from some years ago to
provide support for their proposal, ignoring the many more recent rulings.

Beyond that, their significantly expanded interpretation of gravity and
inertia knives, also included in the Act, would clearly make one-hand
opening pocket knives illegal and according to industry sources, 80% of
pocket knives sold today are one-hand or assisted openers. Beyond even that
clearly excessively broad seizure of authority, we know from past
unfortunate experience in many cases over the years that this sort of
misinterpretation leads to potential abuse by law enforcement where even the
most simple and innocuous Boy Scout folding pocket knife can be opened
one-handed by use of dangerous and unsafe tricks, so that these too would be
covered under this expanded federal definition. This ruling would therefore
make almost all pocket knives subject to being considered switchblades.

The impact of this CBP ruling would go far beyond just imported knives
because this "agency determination" will be used by domestic courts and law
enforcement to determine what is a "switchblade" under both federal and
state laws. Many states do not themselves define switchblades and simply
rely on the federal definition and interpretation, which is only found in
rulings by CBP. Since interstate commerce in switchblades is prohibited,
except under very limited conditions, simply driving across a state line
with a pocket knife in their possession would make someone a federal felon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:
[...]

Oh ****! Our teeth are gonna turn green and crooked?????

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20C...ng%20-%20....I
found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the path
tohttp://www.kniferights.org/

Once again, you ONLY have to look at the UK to see where this country will
be in five to ten years.

It's that simple ... no crystal ball needed.

Oh ****! Our teeth are gonna turn green and crooked?????

B.

Yeeeehaww! beat the **** out of each other at sporting events!!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 13, 9:31*am, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!

What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?

U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening
knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted
opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would also
include all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket knives.

I don't understand why people are getting worked up about this.
They're talking about assisted knives and one-handed operation.
That's the territory of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
So let the two branches of government fight it out.
Kind of like tossing a meat bone to a couple of dogs so they fight
each other instead of you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
Han wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't vote for Edward Kennedy for the position of Dog Catcher but
I was totally incensed when he was refused boarding of an aircraft in
Boston for a flight to Washington. His offense? Some asshole, somewhere
had his name placed on the do not fly list. Kennedy, even though he was
well known to the Boston Airport people was kept off the plane. It took
weeks for him to be cleared to fly again. The same list has my name on
it. So far I haven't been stopped. But a 8 month old baby was refused
boarding due to his name.

This is what is wrong with the defense against terrorism.

Dave N
Posted to rec.woodworking

LD wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:
[...]

There was a movie about 40 years ago where the hero stated that he could
kill you 15 different ways using only his little finger. Maybe little
fingers should be baned.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"David G. Nagel" wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:
Han wrote:
[...]

Common sense is very uncommon, especially among bureaucrats.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

DGDevin wrote:
Bob S. wrote:

There are people out there that would insist that a fully automatic
weapon is a necessary hunting gun - right up until they have been
shot at by one.

Bob S.

Can you quote any of them? I've followed the arguments of the
gun-rights crowd somewhat, and I don't recall seeing anyone insist
that they need full-auto weapons for hunting. I'd be interested in
knowing where I could find statements from people that they need
machine guns for hunting, got any links handy?

Just today:

"[FREETOWN, Sierra Leone] 'We have forced water into the building and some
of the snakes trying to escape were shot by our men carrying AK-47s...About
250 of the estimated 400 snakes who had made the [police] station their home
have been killed."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090613/od_nm/us_snakes

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

So what do you propose to do about them?

We are paying the FBI to prevent terrorism, and we have monitors
exmining websites. People who openly advertise that they are crazy
(as von Brunn did on his website) should not be allowed to possess
firearms. In addition, I am afraid that airport-type controls should
be instituted at places like the Holocaust museum(s). The ubiquitous
presence of firearms permits too many crazies to go around killing
people. If you don't want to limit firearms possession, we'll all
have to live in an armed defensive camp.

They may be crazy, but they're not stupid. If you go around taking weapons
away from people who act crazy in public, they'll simply stop being public
about their business. You will, therefore, accomplish nothing.

Meanwhile, you've deprived someone who fears alien abduction, and its
resultant anal probing, the ability to defend himself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!

What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?

U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted
opening knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only
outlaw assisted opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a
switchblade would also include all one-handed opening knives and
most other pocket knives.

I don't understand why people are getting worked up about this.
They're talking about assisted knives and one-handed operation.
That's the territory of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
So let the two branches of government fight it out.
Kind of like tossing a meat bone to a couple of dogs so they fight
each other instead of you.

You don't have a utility knife - the kind where you push a tab and the blade
extends?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Han wrote:

[...]

Maybe some elementary school education of thesae unwashed masses would
help. You are now suggesting that the crazies are the result of the
American educational system. Maybe that's true.
--
Best regards
Han