Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
m:

Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!

What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?

U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted
opening knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only
outlaw assisted opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a
switchblade would also include all one-handed opening knives and most
other pocket knives... Seems that our utility knives and other knife
tools are covered under this too.

"It is now CBP's position that knives incorporating spring- and
release-assisted opening mechanisms are prohibited..." from
http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20C...uling%20-%20As
sisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf

I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the
path to http://www.kniferights.org/

John

Entering my place of work (VA Hospital) requires me to show ID and send
my briefcase or backpack through the Xray machine. If I leave my Swiss
Army-type knife in there I get a hard time. As an employee I go through
a minimally active magnetometer, so my pants pocket is the obvious
alternative. It's nonsense, because I have many sharp or otherwise
potentially hazardous things in my lab, but them's the rules. They do
make some sense, considering the large quantity of confiscated bad things
I have seen in the police office. Also, I was amazed at what I have
seen, such as the visitor who put the thing that set off the magnetometer
in the little bypass tray meant for watches, coins, phones etc. He was
told that he couldn't bring this thing into the hospital. Either leave
it outside somewhere or with someone, or don't go in. It was a set of
heavy duty brass knuckles!!!

Oh yeah, many years ago, before these measures were implemented, an upset
diabetes patient took a handgun into the hospital, and killed his
treating physician, one of the most gentle people in the whole hospital.

When Prince Harry visited a few weeks back, there was indeed increased
security ...

--
Best regards
Han