Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S.[_3_] Bob S.[_3_] is offline

Default The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message m...
Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!

What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?

U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening
knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted
opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would also
include all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket knives... Seems
that our utility knives and other knife tools are covered under this too.

"It is now CBP's position that knives incorporating spring- and
release-assisted opening mechanisms are prohibited..." from
http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20C...g%20Knives.pdf

I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the path to
http://www.kniferights.org/

John

John,

That's a 63 page document that I don't have time to read thoroughly right now but a quick brief shows that you left out the word "imported" in your haste to spread the news. After looking at some of the imported knives being denied entry into the US, I would agree that those I did read about are not general utility knives and certainly do fall into the category of a weapon..

They define "switchblade" and the reasoning behind the ruling. What part is making my pocket knives illegal?

There are people out there that would insist that a fully automatic weapon is a necessary hunting gun - right up until they have been shot at by one.

Bob S.