Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: It's Amusing

Sitting in a traffic jam recently, decided surf the AM radio dial.

Found a station carrying a discussion regarding a proposal to offer a
tax incentive to people to turn in older gas guzzling vehicles toward
the purchase of higher efficiency equipment.

It soon became clear that those discussing the idea were mocking the
idea in every way possible.

I found it amusing to say the least since a few years ago, Union Oil
here in SoCal had a program that involved buying junker cars to get
them off the road and thus reduce air pollution and earn Union
pollution tax credits.

It was cheaper to buy the junkers and use the pollution tax credits to
offset refinery pollution taxes rather than buy and install the
necessary refinery pollution control equipment.

Nothing new about the idea, been around a long time and it works.

Using taxation policy to influence private sector behavior is one of
the basic functions of gov't, isn't it?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 May 2009 02:22:58 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Using taxation policy to influence private sector behavior is one of
the basic functions of gov't, isn't it?

For good or bad, proper or improper, it's certainly turned out that
way.

However, IMO, the only proper use of the power to tax is to fund the
necessary functions of government, not to penalize me if my idea of
"what's good for me" is different from what professional politicians
want me to believe.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Using taxation policy to influence private sector behavior is one of
the basic functions of gov't, isn't it?

For good or bad, proper or improper, it's certainly turned out that
way.

However, IMO, the only proper use of the power to tax is to fund the
necessary functions of government, not to penalize me if my idea of
"what's good for me" is different from what professional politicians
want me to believe.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Agreed!!! I have an old truck I use in my business. Runs perfectly! And Ive
owed nothing on it for over 15 years. I thought about getting a new truck
but I'd have to pay over 35,000 for what I have now. I don't care how much
gas goes up I'm still ahead of the game. Its all about economics, RIGHT???
Screw the freakin Politicians and the Government.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"evodawg" wrote:

Its all about economics, RIGHT???
Screw the freakin Politicians and the Government.

To paraphrase Oliver W Holmes, Chief Justice, US Supreme Court,
"Your right to do as you please stops about a quarter of an inch in
front of my nose."

IOW, no, it's not all about economics.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Nothing new about the idea, been around a long time and it works.

Using taxation policy to influence private sector behavior is one of
the basic functions of gov't, isn't it?

One of the fundamental issues behind the American Revolution was the
use of taxes to try to shape trade in the colonies. It was not much
about the amount of the taxes, but quite a bit about the uses of them.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

.... snip

Using taxation policy to influence private sector behavior is one of
the basic functions of gov't, isn't it?

Lew

I'm sure you feel that way as long as they are getting people to do what
*you* want them to do.

Having seen your answer later in the thread to someone else with OWH's
quote, it's puzzling how you see that others driving of vehicles with which
you disagree somehow are the equivalent to *you* being punched.

Government has stepped into more and more, just as the founders feared.
California is probably one of the worst states in this -- looks like it's
close to being completely bankrupted through its nanny-state policies. But
instead of cutting those programs, the state is going to turn convicted
criminals loose instead. Seems you'd be a bit more concerned about that
than what cars people are driving. My guess is that you will rail against
those who are about to turn down the massive tax increases on the ballot
coming up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"evodawg" wrote:

Its all about economics, RIGHT???
Screw the freakin Politicians and the Government.

To paraphrase Oliver W Holmes, Chief Justice, US Supreme Court,
"Your right to do as you please stops about a quarter of an inch in
front of my nose."

I'll give you a 1/4" but 1/2" is out of the question...

IOW, no, it's not all about economics.

hmmmm, wasn't this topic something about tax breaks for buying a new car?
It is with me. The rest is just window dressing.

I always like this one:
"People should not be afraid of their government, a government should be
afraid of its people" These freaks in Washington need to go!!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"evodawg" wrote:

hmmmm, wasn't this topic something about tax breaks for buying a new
car?
It is with me. The rest is just window dressing.

Actually it addresses using tax policy to promote adopting ideas whose
benefits are beneficial to all of society.

If you live in the city, you are connected to the sewer and pay for
the service.

The first cost of a "slop jar" would be less but not total cost of
ownership when health costs are included thus it has been directed by
law you will use the sewer system.

The cost of a vehicle or any subsidies provided to promote the process
is simply a tool to get the task completed.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"evodawg" wrote in message

These freaks in Washington need to go!!

Well think about that reckless comment. ;!) Politician is the name we give
a person in government that would otherwise be receiving welfare or
unemployment checks. If they were not in government they wood still be
receiving benefits and voting for more of their kind. It's a "catch 22"
situation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"evodawg" wrote in message

These freaks in Washington need to go!!

Well think about that reckless comment. ;!) Politician is the name we
give a person in government that would otherwise be receiving welfare or
unemployment checks. If they were not in government they wood still be
receiving benefits and voting for more of their kind. It's a "catch 22"
situation.

So we are damned if we do and damned if we don't? Doesn't sound to
promising. I always enjoy it when Congress goes on Recess, nothing gets
done, that to me is a good thing.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Actually it addresses using tax policy to promote adopting ideas whose
benefits are beneficial to all of society.

Then you have to look at who's definition of "beneficial to all of
society" you use, and who *really* benefits.

The people who complained about Bush and Big Oil seem to ignore Al Gore
and Big Green.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"evodawg" wrote in message

These freaks in Washington need to go!!

Well think about that reckless comment. ;!) Politician is the name
we give a person in government that would otherwise be receiving
welfare or unemployment checks. If they were not in government they
wood still be receiving benefits and voting for more of their kind. It's a
"catch 22" situation.

Somebody did a study recently and found - as far as intelligence and other
attributes for success are concerned - that:

* The most intelligent become entrepreneurs,
* Above average intelligent folks become politicians,
* Average intelligent folks are your typical workers.
* Many below average people work for the government.

I know it's hard to believe that most politicians are above average in
intelligence. But, remember, they sometimes rely on advice from government
workers.

An excellent example is the recent Air Force One photo shoot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 May 2009 15:44:27 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Somebody did a study recently and found - as far as intelligence and other
attributes for success are concerned - that:

* The most intelligent become entrepreneurs,
* Above average intelligent folks become politicians,
* Average intelligent folks are your typical workers.
* Many below average people work for the government.

Over the years I have talked with and corresponded with a large number
of politicians. If that particular group largely represents above
average intelligence then I'm a fricken genius!

I have encountered far more highly intelligent people in the
bureaucracy than in the elected ranks.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

My laptop knows me too well - it just announced "your battery is low!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Douglass wrote:
Somebody did a study recently and found - as far as intelligence and other
attributes for success are concerned - that:

* The most intelligent become entrepreneurs,
* Above average intelligent folks become politicians,
* Average intelligent folks are your typical workers.
* Many below average people work for the government.

Over the years I have talked with and corresponded with a large number
of politicians. If that particular group largely represents above
average intelligence then I'm a fricken genius!

I have encountered far more highly intelligent people in the
bureaucracy than in the elected ranks.

Tim Douglass

Here's another tangential tidbit of info which the class warfare
engaging Left doesn't want you to know.

90 percent of millionaires in the US are first generation rich.

This means, it's not "old money." They didn't inherit their wealth. In
other words, they started with little or nothing, and worked their a$$
off for it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"evodawg" wrote in message

These freaks in Washington need to go!!

Well think about that reckless comment. ;!) Politician is the name
we give a person in government that would otherwise be receiving
welfare or unemployment checks. If they were not in government they
wood still be receiving benefits and voting for more of their kind. It's
a "catch 22" situation.

Somebody did a study recently and found - as far as intelligence and other
attributes for success are concerned - that:

* The most intelligent become entrepreneurs,
* Above average intelligent folks become politicians,
* Average intelligent folks are your typical workers.
* Many below average people work for the government.

I know it's hard to believe that most politicians are above average in
intelligence. But, remember, they sometimes rely on advice from government
workers.

I know you were not pointing out their intelligence to be contrairy to my
remarks, I don't beliece all polititions are stupid. You have to be a
little above average in the smarts and deception department to land a cush
job like that and literally acomplish/contrubute nothing beneficial, for
years on end.

An excellent example is the recent Air Force One photo shoot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 May 2009 15:44:27 -0500, "HeyBub"

Over the years I have talked with and corresponded with a large number
of politicians. If that particular group largely represents above
average intelligence then I'm a fricken genius!

I have often thought of you as a genius, and handsome too. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

You have to be a
little above average in the smarts and deception department

to land a cush
job like that and literally acomplish/contrubute nothing

beneficial, for
years on end.

And to think they feel good about themselves

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 May 2009 09:02:03 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 9 May 2009 15:44:27 -0500, "HeyBub"

Over the years I have talked with and corresponded with a large number
of politicians. If that particular group largely represents above
average intelligence then I'm a fricken genius!

I have often thought of you as a genius, and handsome too. LOL

Ummmm......

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
Over the years I have talked with and corresponded with a large number
of politicians. If that particular group largely represents above
average intelligence then I'm a fricken genius!

I have often thought of you as a genius, and handsome too. LOL

Ummmm......

Disturbing huh? LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

* Above average intelligent folks become politicians,

I'm not particularly interested in seeing a high degree of
intelligence in our politicians, but I would dearly love to see some
wisdom.

But, according to Albert Einstein, “The attempt to combine wisdom and
power has only rarely been successful and then only for a short
while”. Haven't seen much evidence to dispute that quote.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

An armed society is a polite society.
Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:

But, according to Albert Einstein, "The attempt to combine wisdom and
power has only rarely been successful and then only for a short
while". Haven't seen much evidence to dispute that quote.

"I've been studying politics, man and boy, for over forty years. I have yet
to discover whether we are being led by well-meaning fools or by really
intelligent people who are just putting us on." (Lawrence J. Peter - founder
of "The Peter Principle).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 May 2009 10:41:31 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
.. .
Over the years I have talked with and corresponded with a large number
of politicians. If that particular group largely represents above
average intelligence then I'm a fricken genius!

I have often thought of you as a genius, and handsome too. LOL

Ummmm......

Disturbing huh? LOL.

I've been more often accused of being disturbed than of being a
handsome genius.