Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Houston, You have a Problem

Based on the weather reports coming in, a dinghy salesman could make a
fortune in Houston today.

Hope you guys are able to stay dry.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Based on the weather reports coming in, a dinghy salesman could make a
fortune in Houston today.

Good luck; I think they're all still tied up in the Wichita area after
yesterday/day before...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:11:29 -0500, dpb wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Based on the weather reports coming in, a dinghy salesman could make a
fortune in Houston today.

Good luck; I think they're all still tied up in the Wichita area after
yesterday/day before...

A thriving market for them around here. Most of the wheat/milo/bean
fields around me look more like rice paddies. But due to ditching
improvements prior to paving the road past my place, scheduled for
next year, my access didn't get washed out - for the first time in
years.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Houston, You have a Problem

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Based on the weather reports coming in, a dinghy salesman could make a
fortune in Houston today.

Hope you guys are able to stay dry.

Lew

Well it is/was pretty bad in spots but it has been much much worse. Some
spots got around 10" almost exactly 8 years ago some spots got 35".

Of course the local idiot "on the sceaners" focus on the bad spots and my
favorite "on the sceaner" whom I mentioned in an earlier post, stopped her
news van, side doors open in the only feeder street lane with out water,
and her standing out from the van to show the high water. The cars were
lined up behind her and the van, single file, and having to drive out in the
water to get around her. Actually they all began honking at her as they
passed her. The anchor asked her if the cars were honking at her and she
said YES! DOH!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Veatch" wrote:

A thriving market for them around here. Most of the wheat/milo/bean
fields around me look more like rice paddies.

Funny story on me.

Was driving I-70 west thru Kansas and seeing what appeared to be
"stunted corn" growing in the corners of the fields that the
irrigation didn't reach.

Stopped for gas and asked about the "stunted corn".

Attendant responded, you talking about the milo?

They grow that for cattlefeed.

DUH!

I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense after we left the gas
station.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Tom Veatch" wrote:

A thriving market for them around here. Most of the wheat/milo/bean
fields around me look more like rice paddies.

Funny story on me.

Was driving I-70 west thru Kansas and seeing what appeared to be
"stunted corn" growing in the corners of the fields that the
irrigation didn't reach.

Stopped for gas and asked about the "stunted corn".

Attendant responded, you talking about the milo?

They grow that for cattlefeed.

DUH!

I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense after we left the gas
station.

LOL...

And, "ayup"...

It's a good dryland crop; our primary fall cash grain crop on all our
dryland acres in SW KS. There have all sorts of other crops tried and
claimed they're going to supplant it, but when all else is over after
some number of years most end up going back to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Of course the local idiot "on the sceaners" focus on the bad spots and my
favorite "on the sceaner" whom I mentioned in an earlier post, stopped her
news van, side doors open in the only feeder street lane with out water,
and her standing out from the van to show the high water. The cars were
lined up behind her and the van, single file, and having to drive out in
the water to get around her. Actually they all began honking at her as
they passed her. The anchor asked her if the cars were honking at her and
she said YES! DOH!

-----------------

They must hate her guts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

Of course the local idiot "on the sceaners" focus on the bad spots and my
favorite "on the sceaner" whom I mentioned in an earlier post, stopped
her news van, side doors open in the only feeder street lane with out
water, and her standing out from the van to show the high water. The
cars were lined up behind her and the van, single file, and having to
drive out in the water to get around her. Actually they all began
honking at her as they passed her. The anchor asked her if the cars were
honking at her and she said YES! DOH!

-----------------

They must hate her guts.

This morning the same "on the scener" went back to a bayou IIRC and was
pointing out a stick that she used to mark the high water level. She said
this morning look how much the water has gone down since yesterday, See the
stick? It is the one pointing in the "air".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:35:34 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Based on the weather reports coming in, a dinghy salesman could make a
fortune in Houston today.

Hope you guys are able to stay dry.

Lew

Since this is OT, could I get a volunteer "spotter" in Houston to do a drive-by
for me?

I do/did the web page for Arne's, a party supply place in Houston..
They got hit pretty hard with IKE and have been saying for months that they'll
be open "very soon"..
Really appreciate a drive-by if anyone's in the area..

ARNE’S Wholesale & Warehouse Store is located off Interstate 10 and Studemont.
Go 2 blocks south of I-10 to Hicks Street and make a left. Look for the large
ARNE'S sign on your left hand side.

As usual, any help appreciated...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
Since this is OT, could I get a volunteer "spotter" in Houston to do
a drive-by for me?

I do/did the web page for Arne's, a party supply place in Houston..
They got hit pretty hard with IKE and have been saying for months
that they'll be open "very soon"..
Really appreciate a drive-by if anyone's in the area..

ARNE'S Wholesale & Warehouse Store is located off Interstate 10 and
Studemont. Go 2 blocks south of I-10 to Hicks Street and make a left.
Look for the large ARNE'S sign on your left hand side.

As usual, any help appreciated...

Their answering machine says their "temporary" office hours are 8:30 to
4:30. There's some ambiguity here, I can't tell if the hours are temporary
or the office is.

I'd be glad to check it out for you, but it must be fifteen years since I've
been in that part of town - the area is populated principally light
manufacturing and small industrial concerns. You can do a Google Street View
to see the neighborhood.

Nice "boogie 'til you drop" web site, though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Their answering machine says their "temporary" office hours are 8:30 to
4:30. There's some ambiguity here, I can't tell if the hours are temporary
or the office is.

I'd be glad to check it out for you, but it must be fifteen years since
I've been in that part of town - the area is populated principally light
manufacturing and small industrial concerns. You can do a Google Street
View to see the neighborhood.

Nice "boogie 'til you drop" web site, though.

If you go there you might as well go and visit Clark's Hardwood Lumber.
They have a great selection in several warehouses and are little more than a
hop, skip, and a jump away. http://www.clarkshardwoodlumberco.com/map.php

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:28:01 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Their answering machine says their "temporary" office hours are 8:30 to
4:30. There's some ambiguity here, I can't tell if the hours are temporary
or the office is.

Yeah, that's what I get...
I guess the office is open but not the store yet.. I'm not even sure from their
emails whether the office is still IN the store..

I'd be glad to check it out for you, but it must be fifteen years since I've
been in that part of town - the area is populated principally light
manufacturing and small industrial concerns. You can do a Google Street View
to see the neighborhood.

Nice "boogie 'til you drop" web site, though.

Thanks, I think.. lol
watz "boogie 'til you drop"??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:28:01 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Their answering machine says their "temporary" office hours are 8:30 to
4:30. There's some ambiguity here, I can't tell if the hours are temporary
or the office is.

Yeah, that's what I get...
I guess the office is open but not the store yet.. I'm not even sure from their
emails whether the office is still IN the store..
I'd be glad to check it out for you, but it must be fifteen years since I've
been in that part of town - the area is populated principally light
manufacturing and small industrial concerns. You can do a Google Street View
to see the neighborhood.

Nice "boogie 'til you drop" web site, though.

Thanks, I think.. lol
watz "boogie 'til you drop"??

"we boogied in the kitchen,
we boogied in the hall,
I got some on my fingers,
so I wiped it on the wall."

-Chuck Berry, "Reelin' and Rockin" (IIRC)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:37:36 -0700, jo4hn wrote:

mac davis wrote:
[...]

Yep, I know that part, John..
Just not sure how that relates to a web site.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
[...]

Just a little musical interlude for your early morning dining and
dancing pleasure. :-)
the King of Rock 'n Roll,
jo4hn

O/T: Houston, You May Have A Problem Lew Hodgett[_2_] Woodworking 34 July 27th 08 03:35 PM
Houston WW Show Leon Woodworking 17 April 1st 07 11:06 PM
Still Looking for a >12" Planer near Houston Jim Woodworking 8 August 1st 05 05:59 PM
Help in Houston arf Metalworking 2 January 14th 05 09:05 PM
For Sale in Houston Ken S Woodworking 2 October 31st 04 10:25 PM