arf

Default Help in Houston

I am looking for a small heavy block of metal for a kid's
science project. Something that is maybe 1x2x4 inches in
size. The size isn't critical as long as it is not too big.
It would be nice if one narrow and one wide side had the
same surface finish. I was hoping that someone in Houston
might have a scrap that fits this description.

Thanks

James F. Newell

Rose metal on Taylor has a bunch of scap that might work for you.....

Thier address is 2001 Taylor ( 1 block South of I10 ) Ph 713-880-7088

The yard has a bunch of tube pipe stuff, but if you look on the racks by the
office, you just might find something that will work.

Let me know if you need it cut to size, I am in Katy.

P.S. The people there are NOT friendly and act like you are a nuisance, but
they have an assortment of stuff, so grin and bare it. There is an older
fellow there (Bill I think) on Saturdays, who is friendly, but he was not
there last time I went.

"arf" wrote in message
I am looking for a small heavy block of metal for a kid's
science project. Something that is maybe 1x2x4 inches in
size. The size isn't critical as long as it is not too big.
It would be nice if one narrow and one wide side had the
same surface finish. I was hoping that someone in Houston
might have a scrap that fits this description.

Thanks

Jeff Wisnia

arf wrote:
I am looking for a small heavy block of metal for a kid's
science project. Something that is maybe 1x2x4 inches in
size. The size isn't critical as long as it is not too big.
It would be nice if one narrow and one wide side had the
same surface finish. I was hoping that someone in Houston
might have a scrap that fits this description.

Thanks

Would a machinist's 1-2-3 block work? You can buy the import sets for
quite low prices, and the surfaces are quite flat and evenly
finished....like this pair currently on eBay:

Lemee see...Because you asked for constant surface finish and it's a
kid's project I'll make a WAG that maybe it has something to do with
studying sliding friction? If that's it, maybe you could jazz it up by
making the kid(s) come up with the correct surface areas by subtracting
the hole's areas from the rectangle's areas?

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
For Sale in Houston Ken S Woodworking 2 October 31st 04 10:25 PM
Carpet Mills of America - Houston, Dallas, etc - WE BEAT THEM! We won our SUIT! Silverman Home Ownership 0 September 23rd 04 01:55 AM
FS: Delta 11-990, 12" Drill press, Houston, area Darrell Woodworking 0 March 16th 04 05:04 PM
Houston Woodworking Show Bob Davis Woodworking 17 February 9th 04 02:10 AM