Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New tool invention

I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go to http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go to
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html to see the video.

This is a swell idea and brilliantly executed. You can generate even more
sales by offering all the bases - legs, cabinet, roll-away - as well
semi-permanent attachment devices for existing tools.

I can see it now: Shelves in the garage holding the miter saw, the router
table, the table saw, the radial arm saw, the planer, etc., and your Tool
Mule where the second car would normally go.

Now if you want to get this to market quickly, and start making so much
money you'll need a dump truck, set up a conversation with Black & Decker.
B&D *LOVES* devices such as this (I think they're working on a combination
powered toothbrush and blender).

I'd buy one now at $100USD or so. At a price of $whole-bunch-more, I'd have
to think on it, but would be sorely tempted.

No matter what you do, best of luck.

P.S.
Very good presentation, but the cardinal rule of advertising is to tell the
prospect what to do after the ad: "Call this number," or "See a local
dealer," or "Write for more informtion."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote:

Very good presentation, but the cardinal rule of advertising is to tell the
prospect what to do after the ad: "Call this number," or "See a local
dealer," or "Write for more informtion."

He can't do so because the product can't actually be bought yet. He's
a contestant on a reality show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Den#Canada

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go to
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.

I love the show and I love your toolmule!

Wishing you the best, hope you get their support.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Forget funding, license it to someone who has manufacturing and
distribution in place. Sears, Ryobi, Ridgid, Blac and Decker come to
mind or the guys who make the little giant ladders.

On Apr 22, 4:50*pm, wrote:
I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go tohttp://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

wrote in message
I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go to
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.

Get the guy who does the Zyliss vise commercials.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
He can't do so because the product can't actually be bought yet. He's
a contestant on a reality show.

I don't think that's correct. I've watched this show a few times and one
common question the potential investors ask is if the inventor has actually
had any sales of the invention. Having done so increases the marketability
aspect and increases the chances of the invention making a profit ~
something all investors are looking for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LD" wrote in message
wrote in message
I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go to
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.

Get the guy who does the Zyliss vise commercials.

Seriously, where are you seeing the Zyliss vice commercials? I have had one
for a very long time and have not seen any at the ww shows in a very long
time. I'd like to see the shtick again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 8:41*am, "Leon" wrote:
"LD" wrote in message

wrote in message
I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go to
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.

Get the guy who does the Zyliss vise commercials.

Seriously, where are you seeing the Zyliss vice commercials? *I have had one
for a very long time and have not seen any at the ww shows in a very long
time. *I'd like to see the shtick again.

Naaaa.. get the Festool table and its associated toys.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Apr 23, 8:41 am, "Leon" wrote:
"LD" wrote in message

wrote in message
I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go to
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.

Get the guy who does the Zyliss vise commercials.

Seriously, where are you seeing the Zyliss vice commercials? I have had
one
for a very long time and have not seen any at the ww shows in a very long
time. I'd like to see the shtick again.

Naaaa.. get the Festool table and its associated toys.

I just want to see the infomercial. Does Zyless make any thins besides the
fancy vice?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"Leon" wrote in message
I just want to see the infomercial. Does Zyless make any thins besides

the
fancy vice?

A whole pile of kitchen stuff I think. Although, I couldn't find any
mention
of the vise itself on the website below. Think it's the same company.
Maybe
they sold off the rights to the vise or don't make it any more.
http://www.zyliss.com/

These folks are selling the zyliss vise system and other related products. I
don't know the story behind them though.

http://www.advmachinery.com/default.asp?pg=zvise

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 11:33*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Upscale" wrote

"Leon" wrote in message
I just want to see the infomercial. *Does Zyless make any thins besides

the
fancy vice?

A whole pile of kitchen stuff I think. Although, I couldn't find any
mention
of the vise itself on the website below. Think it's the same company.
Maybe
they sold off the rights to the vise or don't make it any more.
http://www.zyliss.com/

These folks are selling the zyliss vise system and other related products.. I
don't know the story behind them though.

http://www.advmachinery.com/default.asp?pg=zvise

and I quote: "The original z-Vise2 System, based on the original
Zyliss Vise from Switzerland."

Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

and I quote: "The original z-Vise2 System, based on the original
Zyliss Vise from Switzerland."

LOL, Does that mean that they pride them selves in being the first to copy
another product?

Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!

I wife has one that looks exactly like it including the clean out tool. She
got hers through Pampered Chef. I am not impressed with cleaning it, I wish
it would open by splitting down the middle..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 12:02*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

and I quote: "The original z-Vise2 System, based on the original
Zyliss Vise from Switzerland."

LOL, *Does that mean that they pride them selves in being the first to copy
another product?

Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!

I wife has one that looks exactly like it including the clean out tool. *She
got hers through Pampered Chef. *I am not impressed with cleaning it, I wish
it would open by splitting down the middle..

One of my customers is a Pampered Chef sales lady. She gave me a few
things and I bought a few. I'm just really glad that Festool isn't in
the Kitchen Appliance business.

(They do make a fridge. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../FesFridge.jpg
and they make a Fridgtainer expandable system.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...idgstainer.jpg )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 12:09*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!

Personal experience or hearsay? I just happen to be in the market for a
garlic press and my primary interest is quality/function over price.

Enough on the garlic press I want to hear more feedback on my ToolMule
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 2:09*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!

Personal experience or hearsay? I just happen to be in the market for a
garlic press and my primary interest is quality/function over price.

Personal experience. After many 'almost-good-ones' the Zyliss works
better than any other I have tried. That doesn't mean there aren't any
others out there. Been happy with mine for over 10 years.
The clean-out plastic titties will eventually bend and won't hold the
pattern but just a bit of reverse flow hot water cleans my press
perfectly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 22, 4:50*pm, wrote:

I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go tohttp://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.

I'd love to but so far it hasn't been picked up so I'm looking at
alternatives. I have a good product for Sonoma also. It's all plastic
and has the same large DIY market as the ToolMule. I only have a Flash
presentation though so It's hard to post
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!

Personal experience or hearsay? I just happen to be in the market for a
garlic press and my primary interest is quality/function over price.

Enough on the garlic press I want to hear more feedback on my ToolMule

Okay. I don't like the name.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!

Personal experience or hearsay? I just happen to be in the market for a
garlic press and my primary interest is quality/function over price.

Enough on the garlic press I want to hear more feedback on my ToolMule

I already said I loved it.

But, I don't see how it's going to sell for less that $350, though,
which is probably too steep for the handyman. I see it as something a
contractor *is* going to want, however.

I would have a hard time buying it without a set of legs, though. While
the concept of using it on the pick-up bed is great, there are just too
many situations where the truck can't be close enough to where you're
working. And I use a minivan, anyway.

I know you show how it can be mounted on a portable tool dolly, but guys
will be turned off knowing they have to spend another 100 bucks to use
the thing. I suppose you should at least have an option for legs/wheels.

I suppose it could be the cornerstone product in an entire line, though.
Those Dragons' Den investors are going to want to see a returning market
for accessories and upgrades.

I could see myself, having your toolmule, on a wheeled, pop-up dolly
system, with some sort of stop on the wheeled end, to use the whole
thing as a tool box dolly for hauling tools/toolsboxes. Take the
tools/boxes off the dolly, pop the legs down, get to work. That how
the "mule" part of the name involved. :-)

And I like the name. catchy

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Robatoy" wrote in message
Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!

Personal experience or hearsay? I just happen to be in the market for a
garlic press and my primary interest is quality/function over price.

My wife uses one like it also, I will say it does not get much simpler and
works well but cleaning is more trouble, naturally.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!

Personal experience or hearsay? I just happen to be in the market for a
garlic press and my primary interest is quality/function over price.

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article , LD
wrote:

wrote in message
I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go to
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.

Get the guy who does the Zyliss vise commercials.

Nah! He needs Vince, "The Shamwow Guy". You following me camera guy?

Joe
aka 10x
Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

Personal experience or hearsay? I just happen to be in the market
for a
garlic press and my primary interest is quality/function over price.

IMHO, a sharp chef knife, a decent cutting board, and 5 minutes time
beats a garlic press hands down including reduced clean up time.

Have a press lying in a drawer that haven't used in years.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote:
..
Maybe I don't know what a garlic press is supposed to do.

That makes two of us.

So far, I've been
using the knife/cutting board route chopping it into fine bits.

Works for me.

Forgetting
about cleanup for the moment, I figured a garlic press would be
faster.

You already have the knife and cutting board in service just to clean
the cloves.

Adding a press gets more equipment involved.

presumed (maybe wrongly) that a garlic press mulches it up into fine
paste
so that it would disseminate into the mix faster than the chopped
method. Am
I mistaken?

Speed is a relative thing.

I can't think of a recipe that uses garlic that would find finely
chopped garlic unacceptable.

YMMV.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
IMHO, a sharp chef knife, a decent cutting board, and 5 minutes time
beats a garlic press hands down including reduced clean up time.

Maybe I don't know what a garlic press is supposed to do. So far, I've been
using the knife/cutting board route chopping it into fine bits. Forgetting
about cleanup for the moment, I figured a garlic press would be faster. I
presumed (maybe wrongly) that a garlic press mulches it up into fine paste
so that it would disseminate into the mix faster than the chopped method. Am
I mistaken?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

IMHO, a sharp chef knife, a decent cutting board, and 5 minutes time
beats a garlic press hands down including reduced clean up time.

This one is a whole lot faster than 5 minutes. And I just rinse it out
when done.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,44734

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Renamed: Garlic Press

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:36:26 -0500, Upscale wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
You already have the knife and cutting board in service just to clean
the cloves.

Possibly a garlic press is capable of squeezing all the juice or essence out
of a clove without having to clean away the outer shell. That would make it
quite a bit faster I think.

Hey, don't any of you other woodworkers out there do any cooking? What
exactly does a garlic press do?

I have one, pretty much never use it, once I learned to just smash the
clove with the knife flat, remove the skin, then finely chop, technically
the knife just needs a quick wipe for a cleanup.

The garlic press, leaves a bunch of garlic crap, embedded into the blades,
and around the sides of it, much more effort for cleanup, and definitely
no difference as far as the upcoming garlicky good meal goes.

Just my two cents Canadian.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-23, Upscale wrote:

Hey, don't any of you other woodworkers out there do any cooking? What
exactly does a garlic press do?

It reduces garlic to a pulp and extracted juices, as opposed to just smaller
pieces of garlic. This is often preferable for making real garlic butter,
dips, etc. Zyliss makes some good stuff, but their garlic press is only
okay. Having used many over the years, I find this one far and away the
best press:

http://tinyurl.com/dmq2qq

Holds several cloves, built like a tank, and has long handles for good
ease-of-use leverage. Reasonably priced, too.

HTH
nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

IMHO, a sharp chef knife, a decent cutting board, and 5 minutes time
beats a garlic press hands down including reduced clean up time.

This one is a whole lot faster than 5 minutes. And I just rinse it
out when done.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,44734

If it takes you 5 minutes to mince a garlic clove you're out of practice.
"WHACK . . . rat-a-tat-a-tat . . . scrape" and it's done. At least if you
have two Chinese knives and know what to do with them it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
Lew Hodgett wrote:

IMHO, a sharp chef knife, a decent cutting board, and 5 minutes time
beats a garlic press hands down including reduced clean up time.

This one is a whole lot faster than 5 minutes. And I just rinse it out
when done.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,44734

You will find these things in any headshop in the country in a wide variety
of sizes and materials. Used for grinding marijuana.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote:

This one is a whole lot faster than 5 minutes. And I just rinse it
out when done.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,44734

Who cleans the garlic first?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote:

This one is a whole lot faster than 5 minutes. And I just rinse it out
when done.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,44734

Who cleans the garlic first?

Lew

That's the problem with all these gadgets, you have to get the cutting board
out to start the process and cut the bits small enough to fit the device and
I look and say well as long as I have a knife and the board out finish the
job and only two things to clean. And if you're using garlic isn't there
going to be an onion around somewhere in the recipe? Well at least at my
house there is! There is one born every minute or less these days!

Rich

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 6:36*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
You already have the knife and cutting board in service just to clean
the cloves.

Possibly a garlic press is capable of squeezing all the juice or essence out
of a clove without having to clean away the outer shell. That would make it
quite a bit faster I think.

Hey, don't any of you other woodworkers out there do any cooking? What
exactly does a garlic press do?

I cook a lot. Mostly mediterranean dishes; Italian and Greek are my
favourites. My spanakopitas and raviolis are to die for. I make my own
pasta from scratch. No extraordinary skills, just some simple, solid
recipes... and first grade ingredients.
Some very basic methods include:
NEVER cut your garlic buds. Crush only.
NEVER go beyond a very, very light tint of distant amber when sauteing
garlic.
NEVER 'cut' lettuce, always break the stuff by hand.
NEVER peel potatoes.
ALWAYS wet your hands before handling garlic, for obvious reasons.
Learn to cook with one hand... the other one is for handling wine.

Now I am farking hungry...damnit....
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote:

This one is a whole lot faster than 5 minutes. And I just rinse it
out when done.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,44734

If you want to give Lee Valley your money, buy a microplane.

Can be used as a grater for herbs, nuts, etc, then washed and used in
the shop for wood working.

How's that for staying on message?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Leon" wrote in message

"LD" wrote in message
wrote in message
I invented this new age workmate and would appreciate your thoughts
and your vote to help me get funding. Go to
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/auditions/toolmule.html
to see the video.

Get the guy who does the Zyliss vise commercials.

Seriously, where are you seeing the Zyliss vice commercials? I have had
one for a very long time and have not seen any at the ww shows in a very
long time. I'd like to see the shtick again.

I got a video with mine, Can't remember where I put it ...

The commercials seem to pop up now and then real late on one of the oddball
cable channels. Can't remember the last time I saw one. Hispanic guy. What
I should have said is get the guy who Wrote the Script for the Zyliss vise
demo.

I bought mine at a show here in Portland (OR) maybe 15 years ago. I watched
the demo three or four times before I bought. It's one of the best 'stupid'
purchases I've ever made. It gets Used!

IIRC, Zyliss is one of those companies that makes everything from kitchen
gadgets to oil drilling platforms.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
I just want to see the infomercial. Does Zyless make any thins besides

the
fancy vice?

A whole pile of kitchen stuff I think. Although, I couldn't find any
mention
of the vise itself on the website below. Think it's the same company.
Maybe
they sold off the rights to the vise or don't make it any more.
http://www.zyliss.com/

It is the same company. The logo matches. I think they also do a lot more
than kitchen gadgets. Industrial machinery comes to mind. There was a
Chinese knock off on the market about 5 years or so ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Zyliss does make one of the best garlic presses EVAR!

Personal experience or hearsay? I just happen to be in the market for a
garlic press and my primary interest is quality/function over price.

Enough on the garlic press I want to hear more feedback on my ToolMule

Okay. I don't like the name.

Yeah, 'mule' has some bad pr these days. Generally means somebody running
drugs.