Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Problems with rec.woodworking server?

I use Thunderbird newsreader via motzarella.org

The only way i know you guys are replying is by checking google groups.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ok, I'm back.
I through out the system preference files and restarted.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

Ok, I'm back.
I through out the system preference files and restarted. --

I have just erased a newsgroup from my newsreader and reinstalled it. That
includes "reading" all the past posts. It worked some of the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
I use Thunderbird newsreader via motzarella.org

The only way i know you guys are replying is by checking google groups.

I also use Motzarella and Thunderbird. I had to delete
rec.woodworking.dat and rec.woodworking.msf in the News.Motzarella.org
directory to get it back. This is the second time this has happened,
and the second time I spent an hour figuring out what needed done.
Refreshing, unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't fix it.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
I use Thunderbird newsreader via motzarella.org

The only way i know you guys are replying is by checking google groups.

I also use Motzarella and Thunderbird. I had to delete
rec.woodworking.dat and rec.woodworking.msf in the News.Motzarella.org
directory to get it back. This is the second time this has happened,
and the second time I spent an hour figuring out what needed done.
Refreshing, unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't fix it.

That's what I did. Next time, I'll try to remind *you.* :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
I use Thunderbird newsreader via motzarella.org

The only way i know you guys are replying is by checking google groups.

I also use Motzarella and Thunderbird. I had to delete
rec.woodworking.dat and rec.woodworking.msf in the News.Motzarella.org
directory to get it back. This is the second time this has happened,
and the second time I spent an hour figuring out what needed done.
Refreshing, unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't fix it.

This usually happens when your news server resets the article numbering in
the newsgroups. At that point, you have to get rid of all the old
references and re-start. When Supernews does that, it really sucks because
then ALL articles, going back for years are then "unread" and you either
have to just take the loss and mark everything as read to start over or go
back and pick through the postings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
have to just take the loss and mark everything as read to start over or go
back and pick through the postings.

Doesn't your newreader have the ability to sort by date? All you'd have to
do is reload the headers, sort by date and then go from there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
That's what I did. Next time, I'll try to remind *you.* :-)

Thanks, send me an email though, cause I most likely won't see it in the
newsgroup, and will be searching through the Motzarlla site looking for
the answer, yet again:-)

Reminds me of Comcast's phone on-hold message that says,
"If you're having trouble with your internet connection,
you can get help on Comcast's website." morons

FWIW, the past couple of days Motzarella's server status has shown all
kinds of connection trouble. Seems all normal, now.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
I use Thunderbird newsreader via motzarella.org

The only way i know you guys are replying is by checking google groups.

I also use Motzarella and Thunderbird. I had to delete
rec.woodworking.dat and rec.woodworking.msf in the News.Motzarella.org
directory to get it back. This is the second time this has happened,
and the second time I spent an hour figuring out what needed done.
Refreshing, unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't fix it.

This usually happens when your news server resets the article numbering in
the newsgroups. At that point, you have to get rid of all the old
references and re-start. When Supernews does that, it really sucks because
then ALL articles, going back for years are then "unread" and you either
have to just take the loss and mark everything as read to start over or go
back and pick through the postings.

Thunderbird asks me how many headers I wanted. I knew I wanted back to
3/22. I said 500, not enough, deleted them again, said 1000, still not
enough, 1500 was just right... In other words, its your reader that
controls how many headers you get, not Supernews. Motzarella keeps
about 70 days of messages, you can get them all, or a specific number of
them if you use Thunderbird or Netscape. Supernews, Motzarella,
Giganews just keep x number of messages, or x days of messages. You get
what you ask for or rather, your reader gets what it asks for...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
That's what I did. Next time, I'll try to remind *you.* :-)

Thanks, send me an email though, cause I most likely won't see it in
the newsgroup, and will be searching through the Motzarlla site
looking for the answer, yet again:-)

Reminds me of Comcast's phone on-hold message that says,
"If you're having trouble with your internet connection,
you can get help on Comcast's website." morons

Tell me about it! At the same time this was happening, I was having
trouble with my email. Finally I decided to look into it, went to the
comcast support site, log on, do all sorts of crap and finally get to a
thing for on line chat... click on that, cause it usually is faster
than using the phone... press 1for Prussian, 2for Spanish, 3for
english... 3 ....1for telephone, 2for Cable TV, 3for HS internet...3...
and on and on and on.

So of course, the on line CHAT doesn't work, so, on to the phone...
10 minutes answering questions and the automated answer crap tells me to
try going to the internet, a ton more fussing around, and finally, and
still w/o talking to a human being, the voice male bitch says their is a
longer than normal waiting time to talk to a person because they are
experiencing EMAIL PROBLEMS... Thats ALL I wanted to know...sheese.

The email problem fixed itself eventually, but not the motzarella
thingee. Actually, this same thing must have happened in January,
because I found the fix, again, from postings in January...

FWIW, the past couple of days Motzarella's server status has shown all
kinds of connection trouble. Seems all normal, now.

Yes, must have been that new virus supposed to hit on 4/1. Screwed up
comcast email as well:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
have to just take the loss and mark everything as read to start over or

Doesn't your newreader have the ability to sort by date? All you'd have to
do is reload the headers, sort by date and then go from there.

That's pretty much how I do it, still somewhat a pain however.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I know that, the problem is knowing what the magic amount to get is.