Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT News server problems

I'm running out of options in the appropriate arenas, so into the WW
group I go.

Using verizon newserver to access groups now days since it's included
in the DSL subscription.

Trying to access from a non DSL connected PC.

Worked fine Dec 15; turned PC off, went on "vacation".
Come back Jan 2, turn PC on, start getting error 10060, connection
refused.

Everyone says it the other's problem.

What I've found out.

We're not blocking the news server here.
I'm assuming it's not some new malicious virus that targets news (do
have McAfee).
Other news portals (e.g. microsoft) work.
Verizon works from the DSL PC (i.e. their server is functioning).
Nothing changed on the PC (it was off). SW not reconfigured, etc.
I'm using Agent.

One guess was that verizon changed their server so access wasn't
available unless you were on the DSL'd PC. Their attempt at "help" was
a canned response, not really related to my issue.

Last time this happened (error 10060), the verizon server was down.
Not this time.

Ideas? Help!

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I'm running out of options in the appropriate arenas, so into the WW
group I go.

Using verizon newserver to access groups now days since it's included
in the DSL subscription.

Trying to access from a non DSL connected PC.

That's more than likely your problem.

They routinely (most IPS's) deny/block nntp connection to any computer that
is not using an ip address from their assigned block of ip addresses.

If it worked before, you're lucky ... One of my companies is on Verizon DSL
service after 15 years of being passed down from UUNET to WorldCom to MCI to
Verizon, etc., ad infinitum ... this latest bunch of idiots, Verizon, SUCK
the worst!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm running out of options in the appropriate arenas, so into the WW
group I go.

Using verizon newserver to access groups now days since it's included
in the DSL subscription.

Trying to access from a non DSL connected PC.

I have never been able to use news.verizon.net from anywhere but home on
DSL.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

Forget verizon, just use google

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "MB" wrote:
Forget verizon, just use google

Oh, please. Compared to a *real* newsreader, Google's interface is horrible.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

I've used dedicated newsreaders in the past. One day I was on a
computer that didn't have a reader so I tried google. It did everything
I needed so I stuck with google. Another good thing about google is
that it is easy to search groups (and they know a thing or two about
searching!).

Google is also preparing a new interface for its news reader, which
might convince some people to become "switchers".

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Kitchen Project (asked in: OT News server problems)

Thanx for asking. But now...

I'm gonna cry. You wanna come over and help me catch up? I haven't
even started the "infrastructure".
Though, this time, if the price is right, I may just hire an
electrician and have it done in a day instead of a week (or so).

Cold and dark part of year is ok since I spent most of the warm and
sunny part outside and eternally delayed getting started on this
project. The stove's out of warranty and hasn't even had an ounce of
gas flowing to it.

Do you work in your (unheated) garage?

I keep thinking I'll hit a milestone "this weekend". For the last
several weekends.

Not that progess is being made but as you say, "I'd forgotten how much
work this was".

What I recall is that it took me a couple hours to "slap together" a
cabinet. Hah! Time musta passed more slowly back then.

Actually, I think things are going well, and reasonably "fast", but
I've just been overly optimistic on the time it would take. As usual.

I gotta stop setting deadlines based on how things SEEM to be going -
before a curve of some sort is thrown my way, or I "forget" some of the
steps that need to be gone thru to get to the finished product.

I have the upper cabinets almost done (and they've been "almost" for
about 3 weeks now). But, really, they may get their exteriors lacquer
sprayed this weekend.

Last night I was fitting the doors and discovered that I had drilled
thru the door when I was adding the extra holes for the plastic dowel
that comes w/the Hettich hinges I bought. I thought it was going awful
deep, but ASSUMED I'd had it set properly and it hadn't changed. Gotta
remeber - ALWAYS double check if you've been away for a bit.

Additionally, the "system" I'd hoped to set up to easily duplicate
repetitive tasks (like installing hinges, for example) isn't working
out as well as planned. Mainly, 'cause the defective drill press
messed things up. So, I gotta individually check each hinge cup hole
and lay out the other pieces accordingly. Forget using the jig I made.

Anyway, I'll try to post some pics on pic.ww'g as soon as the uppers
are done. Done, in the shop, not hanging on the wall.

I figure base cabinets won't be as time consuming. All the pieces are
cut, just gotta be assembled. Then I start the tearout (by end of
month?) of the old cabinets (uppers are already down), soffits,
wallpaper; redo electrical; move some plumbing (minor - ref water
line); insulate the outside wall (for some reason they seem to not have
insulated the end wall - that faces north!) w/isocyanurate; etc. I'll
build the drawers after the cabinets are in, though I'll mount the
slides before I assemble the cabs.

I'm aiming to be done by April 3.

Still having fun though (most of the time) and don't regret going the
custom route. Just anxious to see (and use) it all together.

Renata

On Jan 8, 3:32 pm, Patriarch wrote:

How goes the kitchen project? I'm about 75% of the way through the
faceframes on my daughter-in-laws kitchen. Drawers & doors to go. Floor,
boxes, appliances, countertops, sink & plumbing, electrical all done.

I'd forgotten how much work this was, in the dark, cold part of the year.

atriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Having to resort to google, I find it's not as bad as I expected. Not
as good as Agent, but tolerable.

Vrzn is supposedly working on the issue. Had to call 'em back since 24
hours passed and it was still failing. Spoke with a supervisor who
said he wrote a real trouble ticket and they would address the issue.
Can't have V interfering w/NASA's ability to send people to the moon,
now can we? ;-)

That said, still debating on whether to shell out the 40 bucks to
reactivate my newsguy account because the retention period is way
longer, for one.

Ciao
Renata

On Jan 9, 11:08 pm, "MB" wrote:
I've used dedicated newsreaders in the past. One day I was on a
computer that didn't have a reader so I tried google. It did everything
I needed so I stuck with google. Another good thing about google is
that it is easy to search groups (and they know a thing or two about
searching!).

Google is also preparing a new interface for its news reader, which
might convince some people to become "switchers".

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 11:08 pm, "MB" wrote:
I've used dedicated newsreaders in the past. One day I was on a
computer that didn't have a reader so I tried google. It did everything
I needed so I stuck with google. Another good thing about google is
that it is easy to search groups (and they know a thing or two about
searching!).

Google is also preparing a new interface for its news reader, which
might convince some people to become "switchers".

Mitch

Funny, I used Agent (the pay one) for years. After going to Google I
can't see how I put up with Agent. Everything is just so much easier
to do, and I can do it from anywhere. Binary NG's are still better in
Agent of course. But then I don't even think you can use them in
Google.

Get a Google account, it really is the best way to the wreck. As for
the OP, ISP's typically do not let you get to their NNTP or SMTP
servers unless you are on "their" network.

-jtpr

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "jtpr" wrote:

Funny, I used Agent (the pay one) for years. After going to Google I
can't see how I put up with Agent.

To each his own, I guess. Having used NewsXpress, I can't imagine how anybody
puts up with Google.

Everything is just so much easier
to do, and I can do it from anywhere.

You have a curious definition of "everything", because, as you note below, you
can't access binary groups _at_all_ through Google.

Your definition of "everything" doesn't appear to include killfiles and
filters, either.

Binary NG's are still better in
Agent of course. But then I don't even think you can use them in
Google.

Quite true -- one reason I don't use Google Groups except to look up something
in the past. It's a fine archive, but for reading current posts, it sucks.

Get a Google account, it really is the best way to the wreck.

I guess you haven't been around here long enough to see any of the troll
attacks that hit a couple times a year.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "jtpr" wrote:

Funny, I used Agent (the pay one) for years. After going to Google I
can't see how I put up with Agent.

To each his own, I guess. Having used NewsXpress, I can't imagine how anybody
puts up with Google.

Well I might try that, as I prefer Google to Agent.

Everything is just so much easier
to do, and I can do it from anywhere.

You have a curious definition of "everything", because, as you note below, you
can't access binary groups _at_all_ through Google.

Your definition of "everything" doesn't appear to include killfiles and
filters, either.

I agree that Google badly needs a killfile feature. It is the only
serious
newsreader feature that I miss.

It doesn't have a .sig feature either, but probably on balance, that's
a good thing.

Quite true -- one reason I don't use Google Groups except to look up something
in the past. It's a fine archive, but for reading current posts, it sucks.

With Google I can do an ego search to see who has replied to
my articles and when reading a thread I can sort by date to
see if there are any new additions. Google also follows threads
across newsgroups.

With Google, the troll attacks in rec.woowdorking haven't been a
problem.
The dipfloods (DOS attacks) on news.admin.net-abuse.email were for
a while but I think Google may have learned to kill those as recently
I have read about there being new attacks but have seen neither
hide nor hair of them.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 11:32 am, wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "jtpr" wrote:

Funny, I used Agent (the pay one) for years. After going to Google I
can't see how I put up with Agent.

I'm completely the opposite. To each his own.

For one, google doesn't distinguish if a thread has been added to
(w/new replies). If I've accessed a thread, it shows on the list in a
different color (as w/any website) and there seems to be no distinction
if new stuff has been added (such as this thread). Pain in the
keester.

Well, my bottom line is that Verizon has realized the error of their
ways - not in my favor. They fixed their server so that non-Verizon
IPs cannot access their services and I'm gonna have to subscribe to
newsguy to access news from anywhere but home. Just debating if I
want to wait another couple weeks for my credit card to roll over.

Renata

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:36:24 -0800, Renata0403 wrote:

On Jan 10, 11:32 am, wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "jtpr" wrote:

Funny, I used Agent (the pay one) for years. After going to Google I
can't see how I put up with Agent.

I'm completely the opposite. To each his own.

For one, google doesn't distinguish if a thread has been added to
(w/new replies). If I've accessed a thread, it shows on the list in a
different color (as w/any website) and there seems to be no distinction
if new stuff has been added (such as this thread). Pain in the
keester.

Well, my bottom line is that Verizon has realized the error of their
ways - not in my favor. They fixed their server so that non-Verizon
IPs cannot access their services and I'm gonna have to subscribe to
newsguy to access news from anywhere but home. Just debating if I
want to wait another couple weeks for my credit card to roll over.

While newsguy works (been using it for years), http://www.teranews.com/
has a free service and http://news.individual.net/ is very inexpensive.
Might want to try one of those.

Renata

To each his own, I guess. Having used NewsXpress, I can't imagine how
anybody puts up with Google.Well I might try that, as I prefer Google
to Agent.

Everything is just so much easier
to do, and I can do it from anywhere.

You have a curious definition of "everything", because, as you note
below, you can't access binary groups _at_all_ through Google.

Your definition of "everything" doesn't appear to include killfiles
and filters, either.I agree that Google badly needs a killfile
feature. It is the only

serious
newsreader feature that I miss.

It doesn't have a .sig feature either, but probably on balance, that's
a good thing.

Quite true -- one reason I don't use Google Groups except to look up
something in the past. It's a fine archive, but for reading current
posts, it sucks. ...With Google I can do an ego search to see who has
replied to

my articles and when reading a thread I can sort by date to see if
there are any new additions. Google also follows threads across
newsgroups.

With Google, the troll attacks in rec.woowdorking haven't been a
problem.
The dipfloods (DOS attacks) on news.admin.net-abuse.email were for a
while but I think Google may have learned to kill those as recently I
have read about there being new attacks but have seen neither hide nor
hair of them.

--

FF

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:36:24 -0800, Renata0403 wrote:

On Jan 10, 11:32 am, wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article

.com, "jtpr"
wrote:

[...]

imagine how anybody puts up with Google.Well I might try that,
as I prefer Google to Agent.

Everything is just so much easier
to do, and I can do it from anywhere.

You have a curious definition of "everything", because, as you

note below, you can't access binary groups _at_all_ through
Google.

Your definition of "everything" doesn't appear to include

killfiles and filters, either.I agree that Google badly needs a
killfile feature. It is the only
serious
newsreader feature that I miss.

It doesn't have a .sig feature either, but probably on balance,

that's a good thing.

Quite true -- one reason I don't use Google Groups except to

look up something in the past. It's a fine archive, but for
reading current posts, it sucks. ...With Google I can do an ego
search to see who has replied to
my articles and when reading a thread I can sort by date to see if
there are any new additions. Google also follows threads across
newsgroups.

With Google, the troll attacks in rec.woowdorking haven't been a
problem.
The dipfloods (DOS attacks) on news.admin.net-abuse.email were for

a while but I think Google may have learned to kill those as
recently I have read about there being new attacks but have seen
neither hide nor hair of them.

--

FF

I'm using XanaNews (reader) and Aioe (server with something like 60K
groups) both free. My primary server is Earthlink. Jim