Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Problems with rec.woodworking server?

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
I use Thunderbird newsreader via motzarella.org

The only way i know you guys are replying is by checking google groups.

I also use Motzarella and Thunderbird. I had to delete
rec.woodworking.dat and rec.woodworking.msf in the News.Motzarella.org
directory to get it back. This is the second time this has happened,
and the second time I spent an hour figuring out what needed done.
Refreshing, unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't fix it.

This usually happens when your news server resets the article numbering in
the newsgroups. At that point, you have to get rid of all the old
references and re-start. When Supernews does that, it really sucks because
then ALL articles, going back for years are then "unread" and you either
have to just take the loss and mark everything as read to start over or go
back and pick through the postings.

Thunderbird asks me how many headers I wanted. I knew I wanted back to
3/22. I said 500, not enough, deleted them again, said 1000, still not
enough, 1500 was just right... In other words, its your reader that
controls how many headers you get, not Supernews. Motzarella keeps
about 70 days of messages, you can get them all, or a specific number of
them if you use Thunderbird or Netscape. Supernews, Motzarella,
Giganews just keep x number of messages, or x days of messages. You get
what you ask for or rather, your reader gets what it asks for...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com