Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What have I done? (CNC related)

I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ProjectCNC.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rent=Panel.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=DCServo.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ProjectCNC.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rent=Panel.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=DCServo.jpg

My computer had a hard time loading those images. I can't imagine what is
involved in moving that monstrosity into your shop. Are you going to have
to move Morry's solar panels to get it into the shop? You obviously have
too much spare time and/or a serious machinery addiction.

Just exactly what is this thing? How is it different from the machine you
have now? How much work are you looking at here. I notice a couple serious
rust patches on it. And most importantly, what kind of projects can you do
on this?

Also, what kind of deal did you get on this? Nobody buys a big chunk of
rusting machinery like this without getting some kind of killer deal. How
would this price compare to a new machine? I hoipe that this machine will
not get the best of you.

Details man, details!!

I should point out, though I never acquired any big pieces of rusting iron
like this, I did equip my first shop with smaller pieces of rusting iron. I
spent a lot of time cleaning rust, replacing bearings, etc. I have done
this sort of thing before, just not on this scale. I pretty much have it
out of my system by now. I am experienceing a small bit of nostalgia/tool
envy right now though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

I have lost my mind.

That is for damn sure!

BTW, congratulations ... you SUCK, Bubba!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

3-1/3 tons. Now you'll be wanting a nice, beefy fork lift and some
serious dust collection hardware, and a floor sturdy enough to support
that load...

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

Umm - I think you bought a new hobby. Did it come with a complete set of
manuals? Tell about the vacuum pump!

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

Clearly you have. Does Angela know yet? (When did you plan to tell her
you've taken on a mistress?)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=...

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=...

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=...

My computer had a hard time loading those images. I can't imagine what is
involved in moving that monstrosity into your shop. *Are you going to have
to move Morry's solar panels to get it into the shop? *You obviously have
too much spare time and/or a serious machinery addiction.

I will have to erect a tent for this thing as I cannot accommodate it
at my shop.
It is currently almost directly across the road from me.

Just exactly what is this thing? *How is it different from the machine you
have now? *How much work are you looking at here. I notice a couple serious
rust patches on it. *And most importantly, what kind of projects can you do
on this?

It is a SCM, about mid 1980's. The Gould servos are a lot newer than
that. The Perske spindle alone is worth salvaging the unit for.
3 axis CNC milling machine/router. A lot of the rust is in the coolant
system, including the catch basin and stuff.
The linear bearing shafts/rails need a severe overhaul. The vacuum
lines have all cracked due to exposure to UV as this thing has been
sitting outside for a few years.

Also, what kind of deal did you get on this? Nobody buys a big chunk of
rusting machinery like this without getting some kind of killer deal. *How
would this price compare to a new machine? *I hoipe that this machine will
not get the best of you.

It won't get the best of me. I don't care if the damn thing ever runs.
If it does, great. If not, I'll be more qualified to make a judgment
when I go looking for a more pristine unit which might cost me some
real money. All the good stuff never got wet. It is a no-loss
proposition. Scrap metal has some value. right?

Details man, details!!

AS I gather more info, I will share. There is a banker's box with
documents, manuals, maintenance records somewhere....and...software.
En Route, I think he said.

I should point out, though I never acquired any big pieces of rusting iron
like this, I did equip my first shop with smaller pieces of rusting iron. I
spent a lot of time cleaning rust, replacing bearings, etc. *I have done
this sort of thing before, just not on this scale. *I pretty much have it
out of my system by now. *I am experienceing a small bit of nostalgia/tool
envy right now though.

For now, I am treating this as a first date. I'm not sure if I want to
get married to this thing yet. First we move it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 8:01*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

3-1/3 tons. Now you'll be wanting a nice, beefy fork lift and some
serious dust collection hardware, and a floor sturdy enough to support
that load...

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

Umm - I think you bought a new hobby. Did it come with a complete set of
manuals? Tell about the vacuum pump!

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

Clearly you have. Does Angela know yet? (When did you plan to tell her
you've taken on a mistress?)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

It is a small piston vacuum aaict. Pics to follow.

here's another pic. The Move. LOL..We'll be raising a few pints and I
will be driving the Yard Forklift.

Projected path:

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=TheMove.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Projected path:

ROFL! Better have a couple of helpers stop traffic while you cross the
road...

Don't park that thing where it'll block the sun - I'm not sure where
that might be tho

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Does CNC mean Canadian Nut Case? Damn, that is one big piece of
equipment. Wishing you a quick and successful install.
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ProjectCNC.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rent=Panel.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=DCServo.jpg
Next thing you know you will be staining cherry

I know the feeling, I purchased a huge drill press several years ago
and have had it in storage at a friends ever since, I don't have
anyplace with a ceiling high enough.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

here's another pic. The Move. LOL..We'll be raising a few pints and I
will be driving the Yard Forklift.

Projected path:

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=TheMove.jpg

Projected path, eh?

I assume that the little jog into the restuarant parking lot is for a cup of
coffee. LOL

Also, if you get this thing up and running, will it warrant an upgrade from
a tent? It seems it needs a little better environment than that for the
protection and care of the stock that will be put on the machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 10:01*pm, basilisk wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=....

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=....

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=....
Next thing you know you will be staining cherry

I know the feeling, I purchased a huge drill press several years ago
and have had it in storage at a friends ever since, I don't have
anyplace with a ceiling high enough.

basilisk

Well, the building from whence it cometh was/is big enough...BUT. That
means I have to get off me arse and start flogging employees in large
numbers in order to raise enough money to pay either the rent or the
mortgage, not to mention heating that place.
That is not in the plan. BTDT. Having fun, in a relaxing way, is in
the plan. Yet, a hobby should ultimately pay for itself... ideally.
I always wanted to restore something mechanically challenging. I think
I found a challenge..*S*

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 10:04*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" *wrote

here's another pic. The Move. *LOL..We'll be raising a few pints and I
will be driving the *Yard Forklift.

Projected path:

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=....

Projected path, eh?

I assume that the little jog into the restuarant parking lot is for a cup of
coffee. *LOL

Busted.

LOL

Also, if you get this thing up and running, will it warrant an upgrade from
a tent? *It seems it needs a little better environment than that for the
protection and care of the stock that will be put on the machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 7:10 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

I can't imagine what is
involved in moving that monstrosity into your shop. Are you going to have
to move Morry's solar panels to get it into the shop?

He can work out the details in sketchup.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

here's another pic. The Move. LOL..We'll be raising a few pints and I
will be driving the Yard Forklift.

Projected path:

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=TheMove.jpg

Does anybody know what the truck load limits are for the Canadian
roadways? ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
here's another pic. The Move. LOL..We'll be raising a few pints and I
will be driving the Yard Forklift.
I assume that the little jog into the restuarant parking lot is for a cup

of
coffee. LOL

And, the line is squiggley because you needed to have a few pints *before*
you could get the courage to make the move yourself.

Reminds me of when I worked my first job at a silk screening company. There
was a massive one ton safe in the warehouse they want to get rid of and so I
offered to take it off their hands. One evening when me and a few of my
buddies were out having a few brews, the bright idea occurred to me to get
my buddies to help me move it to my place since it was just around the
corner. We used the fork life to drop in it the back of a buddy's pickup and
headed to my place. Of course with no forklift around all we could do as to
try and tip it off the back of his pickup. As soon as the safe hit the
tailgate, it dropped like a stone, ripping the tailgate right off the truck
and then the safe proceeded to tip over on its side. Of course, it was too
heavy to budge after that so it sat there for the next four years until I
decided to call a wrecker to come and take it away.

All in all, I guess we should have considered ourselves lucky. Aside from
the $700 it cost me to replace my buddy's tailgate, nobody got crushed,
(except for the tailgate).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What have I done? (CNC related)Part Deux and Grand Finale.

"Robatoy" confessed

UPON further investigation, greasing the palm of a CNC service
mechanic and a metric assload of phone calls, e-mails, the tally in
what is required will run in the neighbourhood (north) of $20K. Half
that in a complete rebuild of a whole cabinet full of air/electric
logic. a whole whack of limit switches, a tool-changer rebuild, A lot
of the pleated accordion-style linear-bearing covers are toast, and at
$800.00 a pop x 4...naaaaaa Robbie loves a challenge but he ain't
crazy. OR, as a wise man once said: "never eat anything bigger than
your head."

Wimp!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 6:45*pm, Robatoy wrote:
I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

UPON further investigation, greasing the palm of a CNC service
mechanic and a metric assload of phone calls, e-mails, the tally in
what is required will run in the neighbourhood (north) of $20K. Half
that in a complete rebuild of a whole cabinet full of air/electric
logic. a whole whack of limit switches, a tool-changer rebuild, A lot
of the pleated accordion-style linear-bearing covers are toast, and at
$800.00 a pop x 4...naaaaaa Robbie loves a challenge but he ain't
crazy. OR, as a wise man once said: "never eat anything bigger than
your head."

I got high on the prospect of it all for a week or so..for free.

NEXT!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

snip

UPON further investigation, greasing the palm of a CNC service

mechanic and a metric assload of phone calls, e-mails, the tally in
what is required will run in the neighbourhood (north) of $20K.
===================================
What's the price of scrap these days?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Hmm. Back to basics - can you salvage the vacuum pump and/or that 10hp
spindle?

Pull the ballscrews and (if they can be removed) the linear bearings and
sell 'em on EBay if they're not toast.

I got high on the prospect of it all for a week or so..for free.

Not only that; it was a good learning experience (maybe)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar