Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default What have I done? (CNC related)

On Mar 13, 7:10*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=...

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=...

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=...

My computer had a hard time loading those images. I can't imagine what is
involved in moving that monstrosity into your shop. *Are you going to have
to move Morry's solar panels to get it into the shop? *You obviously have
too much spare time and/or a serious machinery addiction.

I will have to erect a tent for this thing as I cannot accommodate it
at my shop.
It is currently almost directly across the road from me.

Just exactly what is this thing? *How is it different from the machine you
have now? *How much work are you looking at here. I notice a couple serious
rust patches on it. *And most importantly, what kind of projects can you do
on this?

It is a SCM, about mid 1980's. The Gould servos are a lot newer than
that. The Perske spindle alone is worth salvaging the unit for.
3 axis CNC milling machine/router. A lot of the rust is in the coolant
system, including the catch basin and stuff.
The linear bearing shafts/rails need a severe overhaul. The vacuum
lines have all cracked due to exposure to UV as this thing has been
sitting outside for a few years.

Also, what kind of deal did you get on this? Nobody buys a big chunk of
rusting machinery like this without getting some kind of killer deal. *How
would this price compare to a new machine? *I hoipe that this machine will
not get the best of you.

It won't get the best of me. I don't care if the damn thing ever runs.
If it does, great. If not, I'll be more qualified to make a judgment
when I go looking for a more pristine unit which might cost me some
real money. All the good stuff never got wet. It is a no-loss
proposition. Scrap metal has some value. right?

Details man, details!!

AS I gather more info, I will share. There is a banker's box with
documents, manuals, maintenance records somewhere....and...software.
En Route, I think he said.

I should point out, though I never acquired any big pieces of rusting iron
like this, I did equip my first shop with smaller pieces of rusting iron. I
spent a lot of time cleaning rust, replacing bearings, etc. *I have done
this sort of thing before, just not on this scale. *I pretty much have it
out of my system by now. *I am experienceing a small bit of nostalgia/tool
envy right now though.

For now, I am treating this as a first date. I'm not sure if I want to
get married to this thing yet. First we move it.