Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default What have I done? (CNC related)Part Deux and Grand Finale.

Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 13, 6:45 pm, Robatoy wrote:
I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

UPON further investigation, greasing the palm of a CNC service
mechanic and a metric assload of phone calls, e-mails, the tally in
what is required will run in the neighbourhood (north) of $20K. Half
that in a complete rebuild of a whole cabinet full of air/electric
logic. a whole whack of limit switches, a tool-changer rebuild, A lot
of the pleated accordion-style linear-bearing covers are toast, and at
$800.00 a pop x 4...naaaaaa Robbie loves a challenge but he ain't
crazy. OR, as a wise man once said: "never eat anything bigger than
your head."

Hmm. Back to basics - can you salvage the vacuum pump and/or that 10hp
spindle?

Pull the ballscrews and (if they can be removed) the linear bearings and
sell 'em on EBay if they're not toast.

I got high on the prospect of it all for a week or so..for free.

Not only that; it was a good learning experience (maybe)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar