Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Somewhat OT but related to uk.d-i-y

Is it possible to save a question and the thread of answers from a
newsgroup.
If so how?

PhilC
--
Well. I'm afraid it will have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was
better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:59:28 +0100, "PhilC" wrote:

|Is it possible to save a question and the thread of answers from a
|newsgroup.
|If so how?

With Agent you have to do message-keep for every post.

Groups.google archives things forever.
AFAIK no one uses X-No-Archive yes on uk,d-i-y
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:59:28 +0100, "PhilC" wrote:

|Is it possible to save a question and the thread of answers from a
|newsgroup.
|If so how?

With Agent you have to do message-keep for every post.

Groups.google archives things forever.
AFAIK no one uses X-No-Archive yes on uk,d-i-y

Forgot about GG
I use news.datemas.de and readfreenews.net but sometimes do not see
original/first message

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:33:31 +0100, "PhilC" wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
| On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:59:28 +0100, "PhilC" wrote:
|
| |Is it possible to save a question and the thread of answers from a
| |newsgroup.
| |If so how?
|
| With Agent you have to do message-keep for every post.
|
| Groups.google archives things forever.
| AFAIK no one uses X-No-Archive yes on uk,d-i-y

|Forgot about GG
|I use news.datemas.de and readfreenews.net but sometimes do not see
|original/first message

I use News.individual.net, (Berlin free university) which is very good for
text newsgroups at only 10 Euro per year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PhilC" wrote in message
Is it possible to save a question and the thread of answers from a
newsgroup.
If so how?

PhilC
--

I see you are using Outlook Express as a news client.

In the folder pane on the left, right-click 'Local Folders', and create a
new local folder called something like 'Saved interesting posts' or
whatever.

Now, go to the newsgroup you want, and make sure the thread you want to save
is collapsed, not expanded up.

Now, simply drag the message into the 'Saved' folder.
So long as the thread was collapsed, all the sub-posts in the thread will be
copied there along with the top level post.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
"PhilC" wrote in message
Is it possible to save a question and the thread of answers from a
newsgroup.
If so how?

PhilC
--

I see you are using Outlook Express as a news client.

In the folder pane on the left, right-click 'Local Folders', and create a
new local folder called something like 'Saved interesting posts' or
whatever.

Now, go to the newsgroup you want, and make sure the thread you want to

save
is collapsed, not expanded up.

Now, simply drag the message into the 'Saved' folder.
So long as the thread was collapsed, all the sub-posts in the thread will

be
copied there along with the top level post.

--
Ron

Thank you Ron - did not know you could do that with newsgroup threads

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PhilC wrote:
Is it possible to save a question and the thread of answers from a
newsgroup.
If so how?

No way of locking then so they don't expire?

But on mine I simply highlight the thread title and export.

--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.