Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default What have I done? (CNC related)

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I needed a project. Me thinks it should be able to cut wood.

It starts with moving 3000 kg of metal.

Everything works, but needs a whole lot of TLC. (All I was after was
the vacuum pump, but then I ended up with this thing.)

I have lost my mind. BSEG But who can say no to a 10 HP spindle?

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ProjectCNC.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rent=Panel.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=DCServo.jpg

My computer had a hard time loading those images. I can't imagine what is
involved in moving that monstrosity into your shop. Are you going to have
to move Morry's solar panels to get it into the shop? You obviously have
too much spare time and/or a serious machinery addiction.

Just exactly what is this thing? How is it different from the machine you
have now? How much work are you looking at here. I notice a couple serious
rust patches on it. And most importantly, what kind of projects can you do
on this?

Also, what kind of deal did you get on this? Nobody buys a big chunk of
rusting machinery like this without getting some kind of killer deal. How
would this price compare to a new machine? I hoipe that this machine will
not get the best of you.

Details man, details!!

I should point out, though I never acquired any big pieces of rusting iron
like this, I did equip my first shop with smaller pieces of rusting iron. I
spent a lot of time cleaning rust, replacing bearings, etc. I have done
this sort of thing before, just not on this scale. I pretty much have it
out of my system by now. I am experienceing a small bit of nostalgia/tool
envy right now though.