Posted to rec.woodworking,

Default Doh!!!

Got delivery of a few new router bits today.

Individually packed.

Stapled containers. Got bored digging out all the staples. Managed it without
injury.

Got first bit out to inspect. All covered in polygunk syntho-snot as usual.
Insted of peeling it off, which in my experience is tedious and leaves bits
still covered in gunge, I tried genly sliding it off, like a sock/condom.

Came off sweet as a bit, no residue.
3/8 straight bit.

repeated with 3/4 straight

1/2 straight

1/4 straight

all fine.

Even the next 63mm long 1/2" diameter was fine.

Pleased with myself.

Picked up 3/8 dovetail and carefully and gently started to slide the polysnot
off..

Blood all over ceiling. 3/4 gash along tip of thumb.

Amusing hand-sucking Watusi dance...

This is a public service announcement.
I did this so you don't have to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bored Borg" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Reminds me of the time I tried to extract a package from my private post
office box after hours. The heavy metal frame for the mailbox prevented me
from removing the box from the front. I whipped out my mimiature pocket
knife and cut the box to allow it to move over the small protusion that was
keeping it inside the mailbox. I slipped and sliced my finger. blood spurted
out. I managed to catch the blood in a hankerchief and bound up my injury. I
extracted the box and went home.

As for router bits, I have had similar experiences. I now place them in a
vise lined with wood. I cut off the plastic coverings with a box cutter and
remove them with a small pair of needle nose pliers. This is a no blood
method.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 2, 12:28 pm, Bored Borg
wrote:
[...]

Hold it by the shank and cut it from the top down to the bearing (if
there is one) inside of the flutes. A utility knife will go through
the stuff like butter and not leave a mark on the bit. Stick the
point of the blade in to peel up a corner at the cut and it comes
right off, no blood or the stuff getting under your fingernails.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 2, 12:28*pm, Bored Borg
wrote:
[...]

Mount the bit, gunk and all in the router. It will all come off as
soon as it comes up to speed. I never clean that crap off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Mount the bit, gunk and all in the router. It will all come off as

soon as it comes up to speed. I never clean that crap off.

Neat!

Why didn't I think of that?

Wonder how well it works on saw blades?

(My sharpening service dips blade tips after sharpening)

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 2, 3:14*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote:
Mount the bit, gunk and all in the router. It will all come off as

soon as it comes up to speed. I never clean that crap off.

Neat!

Why didn't I think of that?

Wonder how well it works on saw blades?

(My sharpening service dips blade tips after sharpening)

Lew

You'd want to step aside when you try a sawblade. Besides, my zero
clearance insert won't let me mount the blade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

You'd want to step aside when you try a sawblade. Besides, my zero

clearance insert won't let me mount the blade.

Obviously have to stand clear of the "line of fire".

I'd either use factory insert (Delta C/S) or none at all on start up.

Once clean and with blade at rest, install desired insert.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking,

There are far better ways to test sharpness.

It's funny how we worry about getting sliced and diced by a sharp
chisel or a power tool - but don't even think about things that can
do a number on you. My DUH! thing is nice square corners of long
boards. Pick up a semi-lnig heavy board, let it slip in my hands to
get it on the bench - or shop floor - and discover that even a 90
degree "bevel" can - and will - open up skin - especially that thin
stuff between pads on fingers.

I tend to perform a modified version of the Hokey Pokey - waving
the injured body part around - gracefully - but rapidly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
do a number on you. My DUH! thing is nice square corners of long
boards. Pick up a semi-lnig heavy board, let it slip in my hands to
get it on the bench - or shop floor - and discover that even a 90
degree "bevel" can - and will - open up skin - especially that thin
stuff between pads on fingers.

I found out exactly the same thing, except my slicer and dicer of choice
were the 90° edges of the 3/8" acrylic doors on which I was using a scraper
before going to the polishing stage. Only problem was that I didn't learn
after the first few cuts and had to nick my thumb a few more times before my
brain decided to play catch-up and make my hands be more careful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote:

I found out exactly the same thing, except my slicer and dicer of
choice
were the 90° edges of the 3/8" acrylic doors on which I was using a
scraper
before going to the polishing stage.

Guys, they sell work gloves for a reason.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:hGhZk.2391$QX3.1147
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Guys, they sell work gloves for a reason.

Lew

Work gloves? These minor nicks and scars are a rite of passage. It shows
we work in our garage and workshops, we don't just collect tools!

Besides, it's the stuff you don't think would be dangerous that gets you...
(mutters to himself: darn gutter guards.)

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Guys, they sell work gloves for a reason.

What? Gloves? What kind of woodworker are you? Where's your loyalty to all
those woodworkers of the past who worked with their bare hands and nothing
else? How can I take pride in my woodworking accomplishments without having
the scars on my hands to show that I've suffered and bled for my craft?

Bah! Gloves! I'm truly mortified that you'd make such an outlandish
suggestion.
..
..
..
..
Besides, I didn't think of using my gloves that were all of ten feet away.
grimace

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote:

What? Gloves? What kind of woodworker are you? Where's your loyalty
to all
those woodworkers of the past who worked with their bare hands and
nothing
else? How can I take pride in my woodworking accomplishments without
having
the scars on my hands to show that I've suffered and bled for my
craft?

I still carry the scar on my middle finger of my right hand where the
prop of model airplane engine caught me when it backfired and I wasn't
fast enough. (I was 13 at the time).

To paraphrase an old saying, "Do me once, shame on you. Do me twice,
shame on me."

I'll wear gloves when handling raw stock and/or sheet goods.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'll wear gloves when handling raw stock and/or sheet goods.

Lew

Me, too. (TM, AOL)

I was checking how sharp a bit was by using it to shave/plane across a
fingernail.

Guess is was plenty sharp, as was evident by all the blood that spurted
out when my hand slipped.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you for your self sacrifice. It would have been nice if you
would have done this BEFORE I changed the knives on my planer.

I sure hope you didn't drop the dovetail bit...

G.S.

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:28:19 +0000, Bored Borg
wrote:

Picked up 3/8 dovetail and carefully and gently started to slide the polysnot
off..

Blood all over ceiling. 3/4 gash along tip of thumb.

Amusing hand-sucking Watusi dance...

This is a public service announcement.
I did this so you don't have to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:56:39 +0000, Gordon Shumway wrote
(in article ):

Thank you for your self sacrifice. It would have been nice if you
would have done this BEFORE I changed the knives on my planer.

I am available as a consultancy service. Maybe next time?

I sure hope you didn't drop the dovetail bit...

It was so sharp there was no real pain for about 20 seconds, during which
time I was able to wipe it (and several other things) off, replace it in its
pouch, put the removed synthosnot in the bin and get myself in position to
commence the famous dance.

My, how it did then smart...

wrote:

Picked up 3/8 dovetail and carefully and gently started to slide the
polysnot
off..

Blood all over ceiling. 3/4 gash along tip of thumb.

Amusing hand-sucking Watusi dance...

This is a public service announcement.
I did this so you don't have to.

Yeah I know about getting the router to throw the stuff off. I was just being
obsessive-compulsive and wanted them all clean and inspectable so I could run
a mic over them, decide on tolerances for the Incra, admire them for
shiny-shinyness and generally congratulate myself on buying better-quality
bits.

BTW my best "so you don't have to" concerns my very good friend Pat, the CEO
of a thriving company and a model responsible citizen and employer. I mention
that 'cos he's pretty smart, or at least he is most of the time. Way back in
his teens his younger brother, aka "spawn of Satan" jammed open the door of a
spin drier and informed him that if he was to place his arm inside the
rapidly revolving drum, his arm would surely break. Far more effective than a
dare when dealing with a sceptical scientific and not-to-be-upstaged young
mind. Just as might be predicted, Pat refused to accept the authority of
conjecture and put the glib assertion to the test.

kercrunch..snap ..!!!

First point to younger brother, who knew _exactly_ how his challenge would be
received

If anyone's interested..
if you put your ******** in the microwave...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:
It was so sharp there was no real pain for about 20 seconds, during which
time I was able to wipe it (and several other things) off, replace it in its
pouch, put the removed synthosnot in the bin and get myself in position to
commence the famous dance.

Isn't that always the case with very sharp objects.

I cut my leg once (don't ask) and didn't realize it until I had that
"pee-your-pants" warm sensation (again, don't ask) on my calf from
my jeans saturating with blood.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

"Upscale" wrote:

I found out exactly the same thing, except my slicer and dicer of
choice
were the 90° edges of the 3/8" acrylic doors on which I was using a
scraper
before going to the polishing stage.

Guys, they sell work gloves for a reason.

Lew

But if you wear gloves, how do you get those rust colored stains on your
work that make everyone go, "Oooo! How did you do that?"

Len