Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Leaking Air Couplings

Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak? If not, can you recommend a brand that fits
together properly. This air leakage is driving me crazy.

I tried posting earlier... getting error messages. If this posts
twice, or similar post, sorry.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak? If not, can you recommend a brand that fits
together properly. This air leakage is driving me crazy.

I bought all of mine (about a dozen fittings altogether) at HF and none
leak noticably.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot.

It is cheaper to spend more money on better quality from a god industrial
supply house.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak?

There was a time in my career when I designed quick connect couplings.

Based on that experience, will offer the following:

1) Plugs need to be case hardened to minimize scratches.

Case hardening costs money which is easy to skimp on without being
easily detected.

2) Very accurate screw machine tolerances are required to maintain the
seal between plug and coupling socket.

Sloppy machining works for a little while, sometimes.

You can try replacing the O-Ring in the coupling, it may buy you some
time.

Plan "B":

Scrap them out and start over.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Sonny" wrote in message
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot.

It is cheaper to spend more money on better quality from a god industrial
supply house.

"God industrial supply house". Must be Universal couplings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak? If not, can you recommend a brand that fits
together properly. This air leakage is driving me crazy.

I tried posting earlier... getting error messages. If this posts
twice, or similar post, sorry.

Sonny

If you mean leaking quick-disconnect couplings there is a little o-ring in
there that is usually the culprit (a dental pick helps when removing and
replacing these). Replace it and keep it lubed with something friendly to
o-rings and usually the leak goes away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak? If not, can you recommend a brand that fits
together properly. This air leakage is driving me crazy.

I tried posting earlier... getting error messages. If this posts
twice, or similar post, sorry.

Sonny

Milton brand brass couplings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 10:11*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Sonny" wrote:
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. *I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. *Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak?

There was a time in my career when I designed quick connect couplings.

Based on that experience, will offer the following:

1) Plugs need to be case hardened to minimize scratches.

Case hardening costs money which is easy to skimp on without being
easily detected.

2) Very accurate screw machine tolerances are required to maintain the
seal between plug and coupling socket.

Sloppy machining works for a little while, sometimes.

You can try replacing the O-Ring in the coupling, it may buy you some
time.

Plan "B":

Scrap them out and start over.

Lew

The only ones I have ever been happy with, were the few I bought from
the SnapOn truck. They didn't have that 'pot-metal' look and the male
looks machined.
The ones that came with my Porter Cable pancake compressor/hose combo
work really well too.
The few from Chiwanese sources simply didn't last when dragged along a
concrete floor.

Speaking of air fittings and such, I have about a dozen blow-cocks.
None. 'cept one, work very well. Anybody know of a good one?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Sonny" wrote in message
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot.

It is cheaper to spend more money on better quality from a god industrial
supply house.

I try to get my parts from a quality source.

You sir, apparently have a source much better than mine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak? If not, can you recommend a brand that fits
together properly. This air leakage is driving me crazy.

I tried posting earlier... getting error messages. If this posts
twice, or similar post, sorry.

Sonny

All air couplers will leak sooner or later, but the cheap ones start leaking
a lot sooner. It costs a bit more to buy good commercial couplers but they
do go longer without leaking. The leaks drive me crazy too. I can't stand
putting down a tool and hearing the hiss. Check your local yellow pages for
commercial air couplers.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
Sonny wrote:

Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak? If not, can you recommend a brand that fits
together properly. This air leakage is driving me crazy.

I tried posting earlier... getting error messages. If this posts
twice, or similar post, sorry.

Sonny

If you mean leaking quick-disconnect couplings there is a little o-ring in
there that is usually the culprit (a dental pick helps when removing and
replacing these). Replace it and keep it lubed with something friendly to
o-rings and usually the leak goes away.

Not if you're using that air line for spray guns. No lubricants anywhere in
or near the line.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Sonny" wrote in message
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak? If not, can you recommend a brand that fits
together properly. This air leakage is driving me crazy.

I tried posting earlier... getting error messages. If this posts
twice, or similar post, sorry.

Sonny

All air couplers will leak sooner or later, but the cheap ones start leaking
a lot sooner. It costs a bit more to buy good commercial couplers but they
do go longer without leaking. The leaks drive me crazy too. I can't stand
putting down a tool and hearing the hiss. Check your local yellow pages for
commercial air couplers.

I don't know about that -- I've Milton's that are at least 40-50 years
old that don't leak and haven't ever had anything done w/ them. I
suppose _eventually_ one of them might leak some, but I don't expect it
in my lifetime...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I USE TEFLON TAPE. Lowes has a heavier (thicker) tape for "Gas
Fittings" that may help if the tolerances of your fittings are iffy.

I also put my compressor on a switch leg so that turning off the shop
lights turns off the cohmpresor feed as well as the feed to the little
power transformers for the battery chargers and such.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The teflon tape is not working?

You should not need teflon tape on air couplings.

Looks as if I wasn't the only one that miss-read the OP. Sorry 'bout
that. I use the cheap couplings from HFT but found the BRASS versions
better than the STEEL (Pot metal?) set I returned as I found the
thread tolerances way off. Most of my leaking issues are with threads
(and, lately me bladder).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:13:35 -0400, "Greg Neill"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Sonny" wrote in message
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot.

It is cheaper to spend more money on better quality from a god industrial
supply house.

"God industrial supply house". Must be Universal couplings.

Immaculate connection?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Interesting idea..

but the flip side says if your compressor overdraws and the breaker trips..
you'll be in the dark.

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I USE TEFLON TAPE. Lowes has a heavier (thicker) tape for "Gas
Fittings" that may help if the tolerances of your fittings are iffy.

I also put my compressor on a switch leg so that turning off the shop
lights turns off the cohmpresor feed as well as the feed to the little
power transformers for the battery chargers and such.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Mike Marlow wrote:
"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

Well hell - send me some of those then. I've never seen a brand of couple
that would not leak over time with regular use. Do you use your air tools a
lot? Do those couplers get daily, or even weekly use? If so, I really want
some.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I USE TEFLON TAPE. Lowes has a heavier (thicker) tape for "Gas
Fittings" that may help if the tolerances of your fittings are iffy.

I also put my compressor on a switch leg so that turning off the shop
lights turns off the cohmpresor feed as well as the feed to the little
power transformers for the battery chargers and such.

Why the caps? Why not include the text you are responding to so that we
know what your response is in reference to? If your tolerances are iffy,
then you're using junk. The best solution to that problem is to get rid of
the junk because teflon tape is not going to make junk into a decent
product.

What does your power feed have to do with any part of this conversation?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Mike Marlow wrote:
Well hell - send me some of those then. I've never seen a brand of couple
that would not leak over time with regular use. Do you use your air tools a
lot? Do those couplers get daily, or even weekly use? If so, I really want
some.

We standardized on the Milton Syle M clear back in the 50's sometime and
many of the ones still in use are of that vintage.

It's not a tire shop, no, but a working farm and they're used as the
need arises and certainly aren't pampered. I used them extensively w/
during the barn refurb project for nailers, sander, etc., ... That was
a two year or so period of quite heavy use. Other than that, compressed
air for cleaning and the almost inumerable number of tires by the time
one counts up all the tractors, trucks (from pickups to 18-wheel and all
axles combinations in between), farm implements, etc, etc., ... the
usage is frequent if not continuous. Don't know how else to
characterize it.

Here's the link to Milton--any decent supply house should have them.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kevin" wrote in
l.net:

Interesting idea..

but the flip side says if your compressor overdraws and the breaker
trips.. you'll be in the dark.

I think he'll know right away.

Puckdropper