Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Leaking Air Couplings

On Oct 22, 10:11*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Sonny" wrote:
Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. *I bought them from
Harbor Freight and Home Depot. *Is there any way to tight them, so
that sir doesn't leak?

There was a time in my career when I designed quick connect couplings.

Based on that experience, will offer the following:

1) Plugs need to be case hardened to minimize scratches.

Case hardening costs money which is easy to skimp on without being
easily detected.

2) Very accurate screw machine tolerances are required to maintain the
seal between plug and coupling socket.

Sloppy machining works for a little while, sometimes.

You can try replacing the O-Ring in the coupling, it may buy you some
time.

Plan "B":

Scrap them out and start over.

Lew

The only ones I have ever been happy with, were the few I bought from
the SnapOn truck. They didn't have that 'pot-metal' look and the male
looks machined.
The ones that came with my Porter Cable pancake compressor/hose combo
work really well too.
The few from Chiwanese sources simply didn't last when dragged along a
concrete floor.

Speaking of air fittings and such, I have about a dozen blow-cocks.
None. 'cept one, work very well. Anybody know of a good one?