Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lovejoy or spider couplings cheap?

I am wanting to build up a stock of these couplings for shafts not over 1" .
I just want to have some on the shelf for
when I want to build something. The problem is that new, they are expensive
for a bunch of them.

I've checked McMaster and Ebay but still, for a number of them, they are
expensive.

Any ideas for cheap other than make them? Hose and clamps may work for very
small stuff.

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jusme" wrote in message
I am wanting to build up a stock of these couplings for shafts not over 1"
. I just want to have some on the shelf for
when I want to build something. The problem is that new, they are
expensive for a bunch of them.

I've checked McMaster and Ebay but still, for a number of them, they are
expensive.

Any ideas for cheap other than make them? Hose and clamps may work for
very small stuff.

Thanks

j/b

Not sure what you consider "cheap" as far as prices go, but we grab 'em from
a source that gives us OEM pricing... Otherwise, if I'm in a rush, McMaster
is where I go and I eat the costs...

I'll try to find the name of that company in case you can buy direct...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am wanting to build up a stock of these couplings for shafts not over 1"
. I just want to have some on the shelf for
when I want to build something. The problem is that new, they are
expensive for a bunch of them.

I've checked McMaster and Ebay but still, for a number of them, they are
expensive.

Any ideas for cheap other than make them? Hose and clamps may work for
very small stuff.

Thanks

j/b

Not sure what you consider "cheap" as far as prices go, but we grab 'em
from a source that gives us OEM pricing... Otherwise, if I'm in a rush,
McMaster is where I go and I eat the costs...

I'll try to find the name of that company in case you can buy direct...

For those wanting to see what these parts are, visit the McMaster.com site
and try:

6408K164
6408K77
6408K284

Those are the only parts *I* use, but they have some other sizes I'm
guessing...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jusme" fired this volley in
:

I am wanting to build up a stock of these couplings for shafts not
over 1" . I just want to have some on the shelf for
when I want to build something. The problem is that new, they are
expensive for a bunch of them.

I've checked McMaster and Ebay but still, for a number of them, they
are expensive.

Any ideas for cheap other than make them? Hose and clamps may work
for very small stuff.

Thanks

j/b

A Lovejoy coupling is about the least expensive item you'll ever buy, at
least in terms of maintenance life. They damned near last forever, and
work exactly and wonderfully like the should.

Don't skimp on the important stuff. Tiny shaft misalignments will kill
the best of pumps, and ain't too good for motors, either.

OTOH, even a cheaply made pump will last a good long time with a proper
coupling/isolator.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

A Lovejoy coupling is about the least expensive item you'll ever buy, at
least in terms of maintenance life. They damned near last forever, and
work exactly and wonderfully like the should.

http://www.hayescouplings.com/index...._jaw_couplings

Sorry, can't help plugging where my sister and brother-in-law work.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes,

I had tried them before your plug but could never find any prices from them
or their distributors.

Thanks.

j/b

"Wes" wrote in message
news
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

A Lovejoy coupling is about the least expensive item you'll ever buy, at
least in terms of maintenance life. They damned near last forever, and
work exactly and wonderfully like the should.

http://www.hayescouplings.com/index...._jaw_couplings

Sorry, can't help plugging where my sister and brother-in-law work.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try Boston Gear. You can download their catalogs (pdf). They have a same day
shipping policy and they are very reasonable. You cannot order directly from
Boston Gear, but you can find a distributor. They will custom make whatever
you want, but not overnight. Stick to stock items in your designs if
possible. Why stock it when these folks support a just in time supply?
Steve

"jusme" wrote in message
I am wanting to build up a stock of these couplings for shafts not over 1"
. I just want to have some on the shelf for
when I want to build something. The problem is that new, they are
expensive for a bunch of them.

I've checked McMaster and Ebay but still, for a number of them, they are
expensive.

Any ideas for cheap other than make them? Hose and clamps may work for
very small stuff.

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am wanting to build up a stock of these couplings for shafts not over 1"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl,

We have several Tractor's Supply companies in the area, they may have
cheapos but I doubt it. I will try.

Thanks

j/b

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message

"jusme" wrote in message
I am wanting to build up a stock of these couplings for shafts not over 1"
. I just want to have some on the shelf for
when I want to build something. The problem is that new, they are
expensive for a bunch of them.

I've checked McMaster and Ebay but still, for a number of them, they are
expensive.

Any ideas for cheap other than make them? Hose and clamps may work for
very small stuff.

Thanks

j/b

Farm supply.

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:01:22 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I am wanting to build up a stock of these couplings for shafts not over 1" .
I just want to have some on the shelf for
when I want to build something. The problem is that new, they are expensive
for a bunch of them.

I've checked McMaster and Ebay but still, for a number of them, they are
expensive.

Have you tried your local bearing supply store - Motion Industries,
Applied Industrial Technologies, Kaman etc?