Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Robatoy. Questions about kitchen counter tops

Sir, being the expert that you are in the counter top world I would like
your opinion and explanation of a few things. I have a customer/friend of
many years that I am going to do some kitchen refreshing for.
Currently they have plastic laminate counter tops that have the bull nose
front and built in formed back splash. They want new kitchen counter tops.
I advised probably to step up a grade over plastic laminate.

What do you suggest? They are considering granite, Siltstone/ Quartz, and
Corieon?

They are leaning towards something other than granite.

Can you give me some pro's and con's of the different type tops, any thing
to steer clear of?

Think You!

Leon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 3:28*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sir, *being the expert that *you are in the counter top world I would like
your opinion and explanation of a few things. *I have a customer/friend of
many years that I am going to do some kitchen refreshing for.
Currently they have plastic laminate counter tops that have the bull nose
front and built in formed back splash. *They want new kitchen counter tops.
I advised probably to step up a grade over plastic laminate.

What do you suggest? *They are considering granite, Siltstone/ Quartz, and
Corieon?

They are leaning towards something other than granite.

Can you give me some pro's and con's of the different type tops, any thing
to steer clear of?

Think You!

Leon

I think I can help with that question, but I'm off to cnc school again
in a few minutes. I will address this later this evening.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I think I can help with that question, but I'm off to cnc school again
in a few minutes. I will address this later this evening.

Great, I think they are having someone from Stilestone come out tomorrow to
give a bid.
Thanks again.

Leon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 4:19*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I think I can help with that question, but I'm off to cnc school again
in a few minutes. I will address this later this evening.

Great, *I think they are having someone from Stilestone come out tomorrow to
give a bid.
Thanks again.

Don't overlook slate. It's the new granite. Wood can be very, very
nice too. Much quieter and warmer - especially if it's an eating
surface. Solid surface is losing it's luster it seems.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

Don't overlook slate. It's the new granite. Wood can be very, very
nice too. Much quieter and warmer - especially if it's an eating
surface. Solid surface is losing it's luster it seems.

JP

I'd also consider concrete.

http://www.concretecountertops.net/m...ndex.php?id=18

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Sep 9, 4:19 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I think I can help with that question, but I'm off to cnc school again
in a few minutes. I will address this later this evening.

Great, I think they are having someone from Stilestone come out tomorrow
give a bid.
Thanks again.

Don't overlook slate. It's the new granite. Wood can be very, very
nice too. Much quieter and warmer - especially if it's an eating
surface. Solid surface is losing it's luster it seems.

JP

Slate? For a kitchen counter top? I would think it would be a bit to
porous. I'll have to mention it to them. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Jay Pique wrote:

Don't overlook slate. It's the new granite. Wood can be very, very
nice too. Much quieter and warmer - especially if it's an eating
surface. Solid surface is losing it's luster it seems.

JP

I'd also consider concrete.

Yeah that is a consideration. Thanks.

http://www.concretecountertops.net/m...ndex.php?id=18

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 8:01*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message

On Sep 9, 4:19 pm, "Leon" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I think I can help with that question, but I'm off to cnc school again
in a few minutes. I will address this later this evening.

Great, I think they are having someone from Stilestone come out tomorrow
give a bid.
Thanks again.

Don't overlook slate. *It's the new granite. *Wood can be very, very
nice too. *Much quieter and warmer - especially if it's an eating
surface. *Solid surface is losing it's luster it seems.

JP

Slate? *For a kitchen counter top? *I would think it would be a bit to
porous. *I'll have to mention it to them. *Thanks

No - it's excellent. Some recommend sealing it, but we do a lot of
business with Sheldon Slate and they say don't put anything on it - so
we don't. They're great to work with, btw. And if you scratch it or
do get a stain on it, just sand it out. Not like Corian either - you
don't need to get all microabrasive with it.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Sep 9, 8:01 pm, "Leon" wrote:

No - it's excellent. Some recommend sealing it, but we do a lot of
business with Sheldon Slate and they say don't put anything on it - so
we don't. They're great to work with, btw. And if you scratch it or
do get a stain on it, just sand it out. Not like Corian either - you
don't need to get all microabrasive with it.

JP

What is the color like other than grey and how does it compare in price to
granite? I think my customers are steering toward a light color and
something that will look good with maple.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 4:19*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I think I can help with that question, but I'm off to cnc school again
in a few minutes. I will address this later this evening.

Great, *I think they are having someone from Stilestone come out tomorrow to
give a bid.
Thanks again.

Leon

Silestone, Cambria, Ceasar Stone and my favourite Hanstone, are all
quartz. 93% quartz aggregate with an acrylic binder.
That is by far my favourite countertop surface. Can't be stained, 10
year warranty, takes a lot of heat, uniform colours and the ability to
be seamed (if done my a pro) in a much nicer way than granite.
If the budget dictates a less expensive product, it is still hard to
beat Staron, Corian, Meganite. The seamless aspect, non staining and
the fact that it can be refinished like new and repaired virtually
invisibly and a 10-year warranty all make it an attractive
purchase.... and a LOT of colours to chose from.

The concrete, slate, bamboo, broken glass, paper, and a host of other
'green' (gimmicky) countertops are cute and different... and in many
cases very expensive. Concrete, done by an experienced professional is
a lot more than quartz.

For my money? Hanstone quartz or Staron 100% acrylic solid surface.
The Staron Tempest series is just fabulous.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 11:53*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 9, 4:19*pm, "Leon" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

Oops.. forgot the shameless plug of my company's website

www.topworks.ca
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Oops.. forgot the shameless plug of my company's website

www.topworks.ca

Thank you Sir! I am sure that your input will be a great help in the
decision process.

Leon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 2:28*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sir, *being the expert that *you are in the counter top world I would like
your opinion and explanation of a few things. *I have a customer/friend of
many years that I am going to do some kitchen refreshing for.
Currently they have plastic laminate counter tops that have the bull nose
front and built in formed back splash. *They want new kitchen counter tops.
I advised probably to step up a grade over plastic laminate.

What do you suggest? *They are considering granite, Siltstone/ Quartz, and
Corieon?

They are leaning towards something other than granite.

Can you give me some pro's and con's of the different type tops, any thing
to steer clear of?

Think You!

Leon

My father and I cut and installed my soapstone countertops. I
selected soapstone because it basically cannot be damaged by heat and
really cannot be stained by any stuff you have in your kitchen. It
can also be worked with just normal woodworking tools. We went
through a couple router bits and one diamond blade for a skil saw. To
care for them, they just get a coat of oil once a week - or whenever I
think about it. The best part is that it is absolutly gorgeous. I
purchased the stone online from http://www.soapstones.com/.

At the time they were out of the cobra soapstone and I had to wait
about 4 weeks for it to ship in from india. It was pretty easy to
work with - but heavy, heavy, heavy!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

Don't overlook slate. It's the new granite. Wood can be very, very
nice too. Much quieter and warmer - especially if it's an eating
surface. Solid surface is losing it's luster it seems.

JP

I'd also consider concrete.

Yeah that is a consideration. Thanks.

http://www.concretecountertops.net/m...ndex.php?id=18

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

i made some concrete counters for my patio bar last year. they have a lot of
dyes and colorants, and you can use inclusions of all types for different
looks (glass, colored pebbles, polished rocks, fossils, car parts, etc).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaniarts/2362099481/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaniarts/2359619331/

it wasn't too bad making and polishing them, but moving them around by
myself got challenging. they are heavy.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie" wrote

i made some concrete counters for my patio bar last year. they have a lot
of dyes and colorants, and you can use inclusions of all types for
different looks (glass, colored pebbles, polished rocks, fossils, car
parts, etc).

Reminds me of a project at my last house. There was a patio that had
concrete squares about 48" square. I had to remove some of them and put in a
garage addition and a drain. There was no rebar. I found some bakery bread
racks in some. And in others, I found all kinds of parts from an old
refrigerator.

So, yeah, you can put almost anything in concrete. (This is something that
all the old time mobsters knew as well.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie" wrote in message

Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

i made some concrete counters for my patio bar last year. they have a lot
of dyes and colorants, and you can use inclusions of all types for
different looks (glass, colored pebbles, polished rocks, fossils, car
parts, etc).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaniarts/2362099481/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaniarts/2359619331/

it wasn't too bad making and polishing them, but moving them around by
myself got challenging. they are heavy.

Thanks charlie, I would like to do that for myself someday but I think I'd
reluctant to experiment on a paying customers kitchen.