Dusty Workshop

Default Resawing on a Ridgid 14" Band Saw

I have just purchased a Rigid 14" band saw. I intend to use the saw
for resawing 6" stock, btoh from precut lumber and from timbers. I
plan to use tha saw as is, with no after factory upgrades. I was
wondering if someone who has used this saw could recommend the best
resawing jig. I have found plans for a small one such as this:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/default....47___129___374

and also plans for a sled such as this:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/default....47___129___374

and finally an upright fence such as this:

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...ain/page4.html

I would like to know which option would work best for my saw. Thanks
for the advise.

Dusty Workshop

Greg G.

Dusty Workshop said:

I would like to know which option would work best for my saw. Thanks
for the advise.

Considering the nature of the jigs - pretty much made from scrap - I
would say try one and see if it works for you. Different blades,
set-ups, techniques, and woods all affect resawing. I use a Delta 14"
and a WoodSlicer 1/2" blade with a 5" tall MDF solid fence, set at the
drift angle, and it works for me. Testing your setup with scrap is
necessary before attempting to cut that high dollar stock!
FWIW,

Greg G.
George

Pivot fence works best for me. Don't need support except next to the blade.
What I find more important is the use of hands. Left hand clumsy here, so I
fence to the right of the blade. Clumsy presses, adroit guides the piece.
Duginskie book, which you should buy anyway, show it.

If you have any non-flat surfaces, a sled is the answer. Far fewer
surprises and kinked blades - DAMHIKT.

"Dusty Workshop" wrote in message
om...
I have just purchased a Rigid 14" band saw. I intend to use the saw
for resawing 6" stock, btoh from precut lumber and from timbers. I
plan to use tha saw as is, with no after factory upgrades. I was
wondering if someone who has used this saw could recommend the best
resawing jig. I have found plans for a small one such as this:

Alan W

Just starting to resaw here as well. Using a Timberwolf 3/4" 4 TPI
resaw blade. Tried a single point resaw fence, but found I tended to
wander too much with it. So I made a long tall fence out of melamine
that I can clamp to the table and adjust for drift (blade angle).

If there is much angle in my current setup, I cannot see it. A fine
adjustment on the fence would be nice to get the exact center of the
board if you are trying to split it down the middle.

The plus side of the longer fence is you can use it on your Oribital
Spindle sander as a thinknesser of smaller boards.

charlie b

The URL for the American Woodworker resawing article keeps
moving, making it difficult to link to from a web page.

Here's the start of the version I built based on that
article. It works quite well - the last photo on this
page should support my opinion.

http://www.wood-workers.com/users/ch...Resawing1.html

The articles diagrams for the resaw fence and the new
table top to support it had some holes in them when
you actaully tried to make them. I put together some
stuff for myself and thought they might be useful for
others - perhaps for you.
(all one line so watch the line wrap)
http://www.wood-workers.com/users/ch...leDetails.html

If you have questions about the one I built feel free
to e-mail them to me and I'll fill in any gaps you find.

charlie b

Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
The New Ridgid power tool Warranty Leon Woodworking 0 November 3rd 03 07:27 PM
Ridgid TS miter slot and Delta miter gauge? Sammy Woodworking 0 October 4th 03 01:47 PM