Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scarf Joint

I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Can you clarify - are you wanting to join the ends to each other to form a
cylinder or hoop?

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 31, 3:08*am, trvlnmny wrote:
I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Make an inclined-plane jig (aka a ramp) and use either a hand plane or
a router.

The real problem will be getting rid of the flat spot at the glued
scarf joint in the round piece you'll be bending up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote:

Make an inclined-plane jig (aka a ramp) and use either a hand plane
or

a router.

The real problem will be getting rid of the flat spot at the glued

scarf joint in the round piece you'll be bending up.

The only way to address that issue it to make the scarf on a diagonal
so that you end up with something that looks like a paper tube.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 31, 11:32*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote:
Make an inclined-plane jig (aka a ramp) and use either a hand plane
or a router.

The real problem will be getting rid of the flat spot at the glued
scarf joint in the round piece you'll be bending up.

The only way to address that issue it to make the scarf on a diagonal
so that you end up with something that looks like a paper tube.

That would probably eliminate most of the problem - mostly dependent
on what the OP is using for a form and how he's planning on clamping
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Haven't tried it, but seems to me you'll need more then a full revolution of
your stock. After it sets, cut bent ends to fit. It will be a helix, but
flexible enough to make straight, after the cuts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 31, 5:11*am, "Tim W" wrote:
"trvlnmny" wrote in message

I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Can you clarify - are you wanting to join the ends to each other to form a
cylinder or hoop?

Tim w

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I want to bend it to make a drum.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"trvlnmny" wrote:
Yes, I want to bend it to make a drum.

Are you aware that Anderson Internation, here in SoCal, sells the
complete drum form you want?

Last time I was there, they were shipping some to New Zealand.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 31, 3:08*am, trvlnmny wrote:
I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Cut the joint before bending. Rough cut the two pieces by
whatever works. Clamp them together and plane them
at the same time. Glue up solid, then bend.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
On Aug 31, 3:08 am, trvlnmny wrote:
I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Cut the joint before bending. Rough cut the two pieces by
whatever works. Clamp them together and plane them
at the same time. Glue up solid, then bend.

---

how would you glue the scarf joint on the 2 ends of the same stick without
bending it first?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
On Aug 31, 5:11 am, "Tim W" wrote:
"trvlnmny" wrote in message

I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Can you clarify - are you wanting to join the ends to each other to form a
cylinder or hoop?

I think you will need to worry about getting a good circle. Wood (or
anything for that matter) does not naturally form an arc when bent.

I think I would try making a clamping block with a bandsaw cut in it which
follows the required arc. Then bend (with steam if necesary) overlapping and
clamping the ends one to the other so that the joined part is double
thickness. If you had to use steam you will then have to wait and glue the
overlapping ends when the wood is cool and dry, but you might be able to
just bend and glue cold. You should then have a good circle and you can
then taper and fair the ends by saw, plane and sander.

Hope that makes sense. Essentially don't cut a scarf, but overlap the ends
then reduce the double thickness to one thickness afterwards.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 2, 3:59*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote in message

On Aug 31, 3:08 am, trvlnmny wrote:

I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Cut the joint before bending. *Rough cut the two pieces by
whatever works. *Clamp them together and plane them
at the same time. *Glue up solid, then bend.

---

how would you glue the scarf joint on the 2 ends of the same stick without
bending it first?

Use more than one stick for each ply?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Sep 2, 3:59 pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote in message

On Aug 31, 3:08 am, trvlnmny wrote:

I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would
like
to get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after
the wood is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly
but how do I make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Cut the joint before bending. Rough cut the two pieces by
whatever works. Clamp them together and plane them
at the same time. Glue up solid, then bend.

---

how would you glue the scarf joint on the 2 ends of the same stick
without bending it first?

Use more than one stick for each ply?

Who said anything about "plies"?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Check out the show "How It's Made". They had an episode on building drums.
They showed how the scarfs were done. I think it will ans. most of your
questions
Hope it helps
Mike