Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim W Tim W is offline

Default Scarf Joint

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
On Aug 31, 5:11 am, "Tim W" wrote:
"trvlnmny" wrote in message

I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Can you clarify - are you wanting to join the ends to each other to form a
cylinder or hoop?

I think you will need to worry about getting a good circle. Wood (or
anything for that matter) does not naturally form an arc when bent.

I think I would try making a clamping block with a bandsaw cut in it which
follows the required arc. Then bend (with steam if necesary) overlapping and
clamping the ends one to the other so that the joined part is double
thickness. If you had to use steam you will then have to wait and glue the
overlapping ends when the wood is cool and dry, but you might be able to
just bend and glue cold. You should then have a good circle and you can
then taper and fair the ends by saw, plane and sander.

Hope that makes sense. Essentially don't cut a scarf, but overlap the ends
then reduce the double thickness to one thickness afterwards.

Tim w