Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default baby barn Chapter 4 ... the scarf joint

I made a specific effort to design this barn in such a way that no single
piece would be too heavy for me to lift. I am not a particularly big guy,
nor am I getting any younger. My design calls for no pieces linger than 12'.
This necessitates a scarf joint to form the top plate of the 22' long walls.

This is a "stop-splayed undersquinted and tabled with wedges scarf
joint".... it takes nearly as long to say as it does to cut (not really).

I got the joint design from this document:

http://www.tfguild.org/joinery/part6.pdf

-Steve

Attached Thumbnails
baby barn Chapter 4 ... the scarf joint-scarf5-jpg  baby barn Chapter 4 ... the scarf joint-scarf1-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Stephen M" wrote in message
.. .
I made a specific effort to design this barn in such a way that no single
piece would be too heavy for me to lift. I am not a particularly big guy,
nor am I getting any younger. My design calls for no pieces linger than
12'. This necessitates a scarf joint to form the top plate of the 22' long
walls.

This is a "stop-splayed undersquinted and tabled with wedges scarf
joint".... it takes nearly as long to say as it does to cut (not really).

I got the joint design from this document:

http://www.tfguild.org/joinery/part6.pdf

It looks great Steve. That joint has to be as strong as a solid piece of
wood.

Where did you get the wood for this project? How much was the wood?

Any idea as to how many hours this project will require to complete?

This is a wonderful project. Thanks for posting it. I am a big "arm chair"
timber frame fan.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Stephen M" wrote in message
I made a specific effort to design this barn in such a way that no single
piece would be too heavy for me to lift. I am not a particularly big guy,
nor am I getting any younger. My design calls for no pieces linger than

12'.
This necessitates a scarf joint to form the top plate of the 22' long

walls.

This is a "stop-splayed undersquinted and tabled with wedges scarf
joint".... it takes nearly as long to say as it does to cut (not really).

I got the joint design from this document:

http://www.tfguild.org/joinery/part6.pdf

That's one cool join! Good job, and thanks for the link.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

It looks great Steve. That joint has to be as strong as a solid piece of
wood.

No scarf joint is, but this one should be a good performer. My design calls
for four bents. The span between the middle bents (where the scarf falls) is
ony 5 feet and the main raters rest just outside the middle bents. In other
words, it's not going to be subjected to a tremendous stress.

I'll admit that one of the reasons for choosing that joint was that it
looked cool.

Where did you get the wood for this project? How much was the wood?

D&S custom sawing in Ellenburg, NY. Dale runs a mom&pop sawmill. I ordered
about 3200 bd ft. About half of that was "flat" stock for siding, roof deck
and loft flooring. The rest was miscellaneous "thick" stock. Thge cost was
just under $1500, delivered. The young buck who delivered it helped sticker
& stack as we unloaded it all. It took 1.5 hours with my neighbor pitching
in as well.

Any idea as to how many hours this project will require to complete?

Planning (drawings) - 40 hrs
Cutting - 100 hrs (I'm well past half way)
Site prep & slab - A couple days
24" high mortered rock wall - Idunno, it could get really ugly
Frame assembly - A weekend, lots of help and a BBQ.
Applying all the flat stock - A few days
Roof- A couple days

To Be defined: Coupola... we'll see how complicated I want to make it. I
wife has the weather vane all picked out.

It's an insane amount of time, but it's an extension of the woodowking hobby
and for me, it's an obsessive challenge.

This is a wonderful project. Thanks for posting it. I am a big "arm
chair" timber frame fan.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The Mechanics of joints just amazes me. Some people seemed amazed at how
long this or that stays up just because it is "old technology". They just
don't realize the choices that are out there!

.. .