Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default baby barn Chapter 4 ... the scarf joint

It looks great Steve. That joint has to be as strong as a solid piece of
wood.

No scarf joint is, but this one should be a good performer. My design calls
for four bents. The span between the middle bents (where the scarf falls) is
ony 5 feet and the main raters rest just outside the middle bents. In other
words, it's not going to be subjected to a tremendous stress.

I'll admit that one of the reasons for choosing that joint was that it
looked cool.

Where did you get the wood for this project? How much was the wood?

D&S custom sawing in Ellenburg, NY. Dale runs a mom&pop sawmill. I ordered
about 3200 bd ft. About half of that was "flat" stock for siding, roof deck
and loft flooring. The rest was miscellaneous "thick" stock. Thge cost was
just under $1500, delivered. The young buck who delivered it helped sticker
& stack as we unloaded it all. It took 1.5 hours with my neighbor pitching
in as well.

Any idea as to how many hours this project will require to complete?

Planning (drawings) - 40 hrs
Cutting - 100 hrs (I'm well past half way)
Site prep & slab - A couple days
24" high mortered rock wall - Idunno, it could get really ugly
Frame assembly - A weekend, lots of help and a BBQ.
Applying all the flat stock - A few days
Roof- A couple days

To Be defined: Coupola... we'll see how complicated I want to make it. I
wife has the weather vane all picked out.

It's an insane amount of time, but it's an extension of the woodowking hobby
and for me, it's an obsessive challenge.

This is a wonderful project. Thanks for posting it. I am a big "arm
chair" timber frame fan.

Cheers,

Steve