Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Scarf Joint

On Aug 31, 3:08*am, trvlnmny wrote:
I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Cut the joint before bending. Rough cut the two pieces by
whatever works. Clamp them together and plane them
at the same time. Glue up solid, then bend.