Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel[_2_] Rick Samuel[_2_] is offline

Default Scarf Joint

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam
this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to
get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood
is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I
make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint?
Thanks for any and all help.

Haven't tried it, but seems to me you'll need more then a full revolution of
your stock. After it sets, cut bent ends to fit. It will be a helix, but
flexible enough to make straight, after the cuts.