Guy LaRochelle

Default Workbench top?

I have been studying everyones work benches and noticed that most of them
are built out of maple. I understand that maple is very hard but I don't
think it is readily available where I live (Sask, Canada). Birch is very
common here but is it anywhere close to being as hard as maple? Does anyone
see anything wrong with using birch for a work bench? Regards. -Guy

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Guy LaRochelle" wrote:

I have been studying everyones work benches and noticed that most of them
are built out of maple. I understand that maple is very hard but I don't
think it is readily available where I live (Sask, Canada). Birch is very
common here but is it anywhere close to being as hard as maple? Does anyone
see anything wrong with using birch for a work bench?

You can make a suitable workbench from planed and glued-up pine 2x4s so I'm
sure birch would be quite suitable. Maple is awesome but VERY expensive
for a workbench and most of us can't afford it.
Greg

Maple is awesome but VERY expensive
for a workbench and most of us can't afford it.

If you have a Grainger near you they will sell you a 30"x72" maple bench top
for about $200. I bought one and glued one up. The one I made cost more.

BTW I thought the maple was the Canada national tree or something. Don't y'all
have a maple leaf on your flag?
Guy LaRochelle

I checked the Grainger website and they have complete work benches but I
didn't see just the maple top.........do you have to go right to a store to
buy the top alone? I think there is alot of maple in eastern Canada but not
here in Saskatchewan. Do you guys get maple shipped to you from long
distances or do you have some locally? Regards. -Guy

"Greg" wrote in message
Maple is awesome but VERY expensive
for a workbench and most of us can't afford it.

If you have a Grainger near you they will sell you a 30"x72" maple bench

top
for about $200. I bought one and glued one up. The one I made cost more.

BTW I thought the maple was the Canada national tree or something. Don't

y'all
have a maple leaf on your flag?

Greg

I am in Florida, we don't have any maple around me and that's where Grainger
sold me mine. It was pickup. They do have them in the catalog but shipping will
get you. These are Edsal products (printed on the box) and you can see them on
the Edsal web site. This thing came packaged with the back brace for the
workbench, just no legs. They assemble their workbenches on modules. Buy what
you want. I am using this as a kitchen island top. The one I glued up was the
matching peninsula but it was longer than I could buy and has an irregular
shape on one end.

Bestest Handsander

Grizzly has them. I've never seen them in person, but I've seen them in
their catalog. Here's a link.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9914

HTH

"Greg" wrote in message
Maple is awesome but VERY expensive
for a workbench and most of us can't afford it.

If you have a Grainger near you they will sell you a 30"x72" maple bench

top
for about $200. I bought one and glued one up. The one I made cost more.

BTW I thought the maple was the Canada national tree or something. Don't

y'all
have a maple leaf on your flag?

Thomas & Jackie Bray

If you can locate an old solid door, 3/4 of your work is done for
you...That's what I decided on, at the suggested of my father.
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.woodworking
"Guy LaRochelle" wrote:

I have been studying everyones work benches and noticed that most of them
are built out of maple. I understand that maple is very hard but I don't
think it is readily available where I live (Sask, Canada). Birch is very
common here but is it anywhere close to being as hard as maple? Does

anyone
see anything wrong with using birch for a work bench?

You can make a suitable workbench from planed and glued-up pine 2x4s so

I'm
sure birch would be quite suitable. Maple is awesome but VERY expensive
for a workbench and most of us can't afford it.

Luigi Zanasi

wrote:

I have been studying everyones work benches and noticed that most of them
are built out of maple. I understand that maple is very hard but I don't
think it is readily available where I live (Sask, Canada). Birch is very
common here but is it anywhere close to being as hard as maple? Does anyone
see anything wrong with using birch for a work bench? Regards. -Guy

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:31:23 -0700, Bridger
scribbled:

birch is fine.

Yup. Mine is Douglas Fir with a couple of birch pieces where the dog
holes go. If you want a maple slab, you can get one at Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=1&S ID=

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address
Mike G

Being a work bench, with work being the key word, I really don't see any big
working advantage to a maple top. My present bench is now about 15 years old
and is made up of laminated fir. Works just fine and If it gets messed up,
dinged, dented, spilled on, needs a hole here or there, etc I'd don't
cringe, just sand/plane it down every few years. .

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
I have been studying everyones work benches and noticed that most of them
are built out of maple. I understand that maple is very hard but I don't
think it is readily available where I live (Sask, Canada). Birch is very
common here but is it anywhere close to being as hard as maple? Does

anyone
see anything wrong with using birch for a work bench? Regards. -Guy

Slowhand

"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
I have been studying everyones work benches and noticed that most of them
are built out of maple.

Mine is made from a solid core birch door. Very heavy duty.
SH

Ray Waterman

Guy

I got the rough maple for my workbench from the Windsor Plywood in
Langley BC. Check with your local Windsor to see if they bring in any
there. The wood I got was ~1" thick and a variety of widths and
lengths. My jointer, planer and table saw turned it into the top
below.

http://www.jenarae.com/wood/workbench1.jpg

Ray

"Dave Keith" wrote in message news:CzAKb.4119$Ur.203376@localhost...
What about Windsor Plywood on Miller Ave in Saskatoon. They sell maple

"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
I checked the Grainger website and they have complete work benches but I
didn't see just the maple top.........do you have to go right to a store

buy the top alone? I think there is alot of maple in eastern Canada but

not
here in Saskatchewan. Do you guys get maple shipped to you from long
distances or do you have some locally? Regards. -Guy

Greg G.

Guy LaRochelle said:

I have been studying everyones work benches and noticed that most of them
are built out of maple. I understand that maple is very hard but I don't
think it is readily available where I live (Sask, Canada). Birch is very
common here but is it anywhere close to being as hard as maple? Does anyone
see anything wrong with using birch for a work bench? Regards. -Guy

I made my top from Southern Yellow Pine, and works great. Maple was
too pricey for me! As long as the birch is firm, and has no pith or
soft spots, it should be fine.

http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/...orkBench01.jpg

http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/...orkbench02.jpg

FWIW,

Greg G.
Guy LaRochelle

Hey!

Nice to here someone from home............are you from Saskatoon? Do you
happen to know what the price of the maple is? Regards. -Guy

"Greg" wrote in message
Maple is awesome but VERY expensive
for a workbench and most of us can't afford it.

If you have a Grainger near you they will sell you a 30"x72" maple

bench
top
for about $200. I bought one and glued one up. The one I made cost

more.

BTW I thought the maple was the Canada national tree or something.

Don't
y'all
have a maple leaf on your flag?

Guy LaRochelle

Greg,

Nice bench and thanks for the info. I see in your pictures that you have a
Delta jointer............what size is it? How do you like it? Regards. -Guy

Greg G. wrote in message
Guy LaRochelle said:

I have been studying everyones work benches and noticed that most of them
are built out of maple. I understand that maple is very hard but I don't
think it is readily available where I live (Sask, Canada). Birch is very
common here but is it anywhere close to being as hard as maple? Does

anyone
see anything wrong with using birch for a work bench? Regards. -Guy

I made my top from Southern Yellow Pine, and works great. Maple was
too pricey for me! As long as the birch is firm, and has no pith or
soft spots, it should be fine.

http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/...orkBench01.jpg

http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/...orkbench02.jpg

FWIW,

Greg G.

Mark & Juanita

In article , says...
Grizzly has them. I've never seen them in person, but I've seen them in
their catalog. Here's a link.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9914

HTH

I bought two of them. Would do it again, I have had them for about 2
years and they have worked well. I could not have bought the wood and
laminated it for the price I paid for the tops, even with shipping.

"Greg" wrote in message
Maple is awesome but VERY expensive
for a workbench and most of us can't afford it.

If you have a Grainger near you they will sell you a 30"x72" maple bench

top
for about $200. I bought one and glued one up. The one I made cost more.

BTW I thought the maple was the Canada national tree or something. Don't

y'all
have a maple leaf on your flag?

Greg G.

Guy LaRochelle said:

Greg,

Nice bench and thanks for the info. I see in your pictures that you have a
Delta jointer............what size is it? How do you like it? Regards. -Guy

Thanks. Yes, I have a 6" DJ - it works great. They had a few
problems with warping fences on the earlier models, but I got a later,
improved version with a new casting - it's straight within .002" and
no problems at all. Fairly quiet for a jointer, and I love the
longer, taller fence.

Greg G.
Guy LaRochelle

Greg,

Do you find that a 6" is large enough or would an 8" be worth the price
difference? Regards. -Guy

Greg G. wrote in message
Guy LaRochelle said:

Greg,

Nice bench and thanks for the info. I see in your pictures that you have

Delta jointer............what size is it? How do you like it?

Regards. -Guy

Thanks. Yes, I have a 6" DJ - it works great. They had a few
problems with warping fences on the earlier models, but I got a later,
improved version with a new casting - it's straight within .002" and
no problems at all. Fairly quiet for a jointer, and I love the
longer, taller fence.

Greg G.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Guy LaRochelle
wrote:

Nice to here someone from home............are you from Saskatoon? Do you
happen to know what the price of the maple is? Regards.

When I did my bench I laminated maple T&G flooring from Windsor Ply on
Millar to a solid core door.

Pics at http://www.balderstone.ca/workbench/

(Yeah, I'm in S'toon...)

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Greg G.

Guy LaRochelle said:

Greg,

Do you find that a 6" is large enough or would an 8" be worth the price
difference? Regards. -Guy

I've had no need of a larger one - yet. Very seldom do I use stock
wider than 6", as it tends to cup and twist when wider. The
considerable price jump into the 8" and up jointers is financially
unfeasible for me. Mostly I use it for edge jointing boards for glue
up and straightening framing stock. I have a 13" planer as well -
between the two I have not run into anything reasonable I couldn't
work with. A nice 48" flat-bed drum sander would be nice, but...
FWIW,

Greg G.
BRuce

what wood was the base made from? Looks very sturdy and usable.

BRuce

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Guy LaRochelle
wrote:

Nice to here someone from home............are you from Saskatoon? Do you
happen to know what the price of the maple is? Regards.

When I did my bench I laminated maple T&G flooring from Windsor Ply on
Millar to a solid core door.

Pics at http://www.balderstone.ca/workbench/

(Yeah, I'm in S'toon...)

djb

--
---

BRuce
Dave Balderstone

In article 1073514308.979434@sj-nntpcache-3, BRuce wrote:

what wood was the base made from? Looks very sturdy and usable.

Just your standard SPF 4x4, 2x6 and 2x8, painted brown with an exterior
stain.

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Dave Keith

The have a lot of maple ! Standard maple is $8.90 /bf, 'birdseye' is
$12.90 (these are Canadian$). They also have a lot of bowl blanks and other
turning blanks, all at fixed prices.

"Dave Keith" wrote in message
Yep, I live in Saskatoon. And no, not off the top of my head, but I gotta
go pick up some wood and will check.

Dave

"Greg" wrote in message
Maple is awesome but VERY expensive
for a workbench and most of us can't afford it.

If you have a Grainger near you they will sell you a 30"x72" maple

bench
top
for about $200. I bought one and glued one up. The one I made cost

more.

BTW I thought the maple was the Canada national tree or something.

Don't
y'all
have a maple leaf on your flag?

Charlie Self

Chuck Vance writes:

Some folks recommend lining the dogholes with harder material, or
even drilling an oversize doghole, plugging it with hardwood and then
drilling your hole centered in the hardwood.

Personally, my top is made of laminated SYP (slightly less than 3"
thick) and I have noticed no signs of the dogholes elongating. (I've
been using it since February of 2001, so it's not old, but it's seen
almost daily use since then.)

But leave us remember, there is pine and there is SYP, which is a LOT harder.
Anyone who doesn't believe that should try framing a couple rooms with the
stuff, using a hammer instead of a pneumatic nailer. It has been 20+ years, but
my hand still aches when I think about it.

Somewhat like framing with red oak, except that with the oak you expect the
hardness.

Charlie Self
"Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves."
Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
The Firehouse

If you're patient and have access to some hardwood pallets and a
thickness planer....

There's lots of maple pallets out there. cut them into 2" slats and
laminate them up. It'd make a super solid top. Take the time to lay it
out properly and make sure you add holes for your dogs before you glue
it up (if you're using square dogs).

Jeff