Charlie Self

Default Workbench top?

Chuck Vance writes:

Some folks recommend lining the dogholes with harder material, or
even drilling an oversize doghole, plugging it with hardwood and then
drilling your hole centered in the hardwood.

Personally, my top is made of laminated SYP (slightly less than 3"
thick) and I have noticed no signs of the dogholes elongating. (I've
been using it since February of 2001, so it's not old, but it's seen
almost daily use since then.)

But leave us remember, there is pine and there is SYP, which is a LOT harder.
Anyone who doesn't believe that should try framing a couple rooms with the
stuff, using a hammer instead of a pneumatic nailer. It has been 20+ years, but
my hand still aches when I think about it.

Somewhat like framing with red oak, except that with the oak you expect the
hardness.

Charlie Self
"Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves."
Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html