Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Undermount Drawer Hardware?

I'm looking for opinions.

I need to spec the slides for a vanity and don't feel like my
knowledge is current.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tom Watson wrote:
I'm looking for opinions.

Not so much opinion but might go to woodworkershardware.com and peruse
the catalog. Pretty much everything available is there...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:16:12 -0500, dpb wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
I'm looking for opinions.

I need to spec the slides for a vanity and don't feel like my
knowledge is current.

Not so much opinion but might go to woodworkershardware.com and peruse
the catalog. Pretty much everything available is there...

I'll add cshardware.com to peruse a variety of choices.

Also, Hettich's website (hettich.com) has a pdf you can download with
detailed specs of their hinges and slides.

I used Hettich in the kitchen and I believe they were ranked a best
buy by one of the WW magazines.

Of the 17 or so drawers I have, 2 slides had problems related to the
little plastic "catch" thingie that helps draw the slide closed (did I
mention, they're self closing?). I think it (the plastic part) got
nicked or something and now has a worn spot that's making it miss the
"hook" on the opposing portion of the slide.

Anyway, can't compare 'em to the Blum, but the Blum are maybe 2x as
much.

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 29, 9:08*am, Tom Watson wrote:
I'm looking for opinions.

I need to spec the slides for a vanity and don't feel like my
knowledge is current.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmakerhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

I have used blum, both the self-closing "blumotion" and the regular
undermount. I've been very happy with both types, but I actually
prefer the less expensive regular models. I find the self-closing
feature doesn't really add any convenience, and it makes the drawer
close more slowly--which is an issue for only because I used them on a
pull-out tray inside a cabinet, so I have to wait for the tray to
retract all the way before I can close the cabinet doors...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions.

I need to spec the slides for a vanity and don't feel like my
knowledge is current.

I've used "Hittich Quadro V6(21) S/C Full Extension Soft Close" undermounts
on my past four kitchens. Last time, paid about $23/pair for the 15" variety
recently. The front adjusting catch adds about $2/pair to that.

http://www.ovisonline.com/woodworkin...ides/under.htm

These are well engineered, German made slides, that are the best bang for
the buck that I've used, and I've used them all. I prefer them over the "blu
motion" by blum, and they're less expensive, with a more expensive feel, in
most sizes. Kitchens are a big selling point and these particular drawer
slides have indeed helped sell the kitchen with the ladies, and thus the
house.

About the only caveat is that you have to build the drawer to fairly precise
spec, with particular care in dimensioning your "drawer side" stock.
Precision in doing so is paramount for a hassle free installation, as there
ain't a hell of lot of room for slop.

This is not something you would have a problem with, but you won't be able
to subtract the usual inch from your drawer opening and build your drawers
to that width.

I've not had any problem with the catches, as another poster reported, and
have not had a single call back in well over 150 drawers in use.

Leon has seen these in action and may want to chime in with his impressions.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
I'm looking for opinions.

I need to spec the slides for a vanity and don't feel like my
knowledge is current.

I read a review (FWW maybe?) that considered the Blum to be the best,
but for his own project the author chose another one that he felt was
almost as good and a fair bit cheaper.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote

Of the 17 or so drawers I have, 2 slides had problems related to the
little plastic "catch" thingie that helps draw the slide closed (did I
mention, they're self closing?). I think it (the plastic part) got
nicked or something and now has a worn spot that's making it miss the
"hook" on the opposing portion of the slide.

Are you sure the prongs on the back of each slide, on one or both sides, is
seating fully into the holes drilled into the drawer back?

Additionally, did you need to install the "spacer" in the front "catches" to
match your wood dimension?

Leaving these out will also cause a similar problem, because the back prongs
don't quite seat enough to hold the back of the drawer in place.

Not doubting your troubleshooting conclusion, but I've installed over 150
pair of these particular slides and the above are two problems that can
exhibit the behavior you've described.

One of the tricks in _mounting_ the drawer onto these slides is not to push
them into the cavity as you would drawer mounted on ordinary slides, but
instead, pull both drawer slides out about 3/4 of the way, lay the drawer
into position, then reach under the drawer front and with the tips of your
fingers, pull the slide on each side toward the front of the drawer until
you hear a click.

If you don't get the click, jockeying each side up and down slightly with
the other hand, to make the back prongs seat fully into the hold in the
drawer backs, will sometime help to insure that back prong fully seats.

You may have already figured all this out, but just in case ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Leon has seen these in action and may want to chime in with his
impressions.

Yeah! they are very nice, and fun top operate with the soft close feature.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:08:29 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

I'm looking for opinions.

I need to spec the slides for a vanity and don't feel like my
knowledge is current.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Swing's was, in particular, the sort of thing that I was looking for
and I appreciate your clear and detailed response. Nothing beats
having direct experience with a piece of hardware and having enough
installed units out there in the wild to gauge how they hold up in the
real world.

I had read the FWW review and Swing's comments confirm what was stated
in that article, so it seems clear that I'll be buying the Hettich
slides.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm looking for opinions.

I need to spec the slides for a vanity and don't feel like my
knowledge is current.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Swing's was, in particular, the sort of thing that I was looking for
and I appreciate your clear and detailed response. Nothing beats
having direct experience with a piece of hardware and having enough
installed units out there in the wild to gauge how they hold up in the
real world.

I had read the FWW review and Swing's comments confirm what was stated
in that article, so it seems clear that I'll be buying the Hettich
slides.

Good to know my experience might have been of some assistance, Tom ...
goodness knows I've gotten enough from you in the past few years!

Thanks ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08