Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Best Undermount Drawer Hardware?

"Renata" wrote

Of the 17 or so drawers I have, 2 slides had problems related to the
little plastic "catch" thingie that helps draw the slide closed (did I
mention, they're self closing?). I think it (the plastic part) got
nicked or something and now has a worn spot that's making it miss the
"hook" on the opposing portion of the slide.

Are you sure the prongs on the back of each slide, on one or both sides, is
seating fully into the holes drilled into the drawer back?

Additionally, did you need to install the "spacer" in the front "catches" to
match your wood dimension?

Leaving these out will also cause a similar problem, because the back prongs
don't quite seat enough to hold the back of the drawer in place.

Not doubting your troubleshooting conclusion, but I've installed over 150
pair of these particular slides and the above are two problems that can
exhibit the behavior you've described.

One of the tricks in _mounting_ the drawer onto these slides is not to push
them into the cavity as you would drawer mounted on ordinary slides, but
instead, pull both drawer slides out about 3/4 of the way, lay the drawer
into position, then reach under the drawer front and with the tips of your
fingers, pull the slide on each side toward the front of the drawer until
you hear a click.

If you don't get the click, jockeying each side up and down slightly with
the other hand, to make the back prongs seat fully into the hold in the
drawer backs, will sometime help to insure that back prong fully seats.

You may have already figured all this out, but just in case ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08