Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Band Saw Link Belts??? Drill Press??

I am contemplating replacing the belts on my Delta 14" Band Saw and
(2) on my Floor Model Drill Press with the Link belts I use on my
SEARS table saw with such great results.

I was curious to hear if anyone has tried them on either thier BS or
DP and what their experience(s) might have been.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I am contemplating replacing the belts on my Delta 14" Band Saw and
(2) on my Floor Model Drill Press with the Link belts I use on my
SEARS table saw with such great results.

I was curious to hear if anyone has tried them on either thier BS or
DP and what their experience(s) might have been.

Food for thought here, I have a Rockwell DP that is going on 30 years old.
I got it new and the belt on it, like most all belts that come on wood
working equipment, is an industrial type. From day one the DP vibrated on
the fastest speed setting but because I almost always used it on the slowest
settings that vibration seldom came into play.
Last week the belt began to go bad so I took it to an auto supply store and
asked to have the belt matched up to an "Automotive" style belt. These
belts when compared to an industrial belt look very refined and tend to be
better balanced because of the need to operate at much higher speeds than
industrial belts.

The Automotive style belt is now on the DP and there is almost no vibration
by comparison. With tax, $7.26, much cheaper than a link belt.

If your pulleys are small in diameter ask for the style that has the notches
cut out on the inside, this will allow the belt to bend around a tighter
radius.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote
It almost always helps...

I did my bandsaw for a pretty fair improvement.

Same on my Delta 14" ... noticeable for sure. Haven't done the DP yet , but
it's "in the plans".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

I replaced the stock belts on my Jet DP with link belts and the
difference in noise and felt vibration was significant. It doesn't
drill any better, but it's sure nicer to use when it's not whininhg at
me.

BTW, I also put some of that sticky backed foam weatherstripping
around the edge of the belt enclosure door. That cut out a bunch of
noise as well.

Regards.

Tom

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:42:09 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

I am contemplating replacing the belts on my Delta 14" Band Saw and
(2) on my Floor Model Drill Press with the Link belts I use on my
SEARS table saw with such great results.

I was curious to hear if anyone has tried them on either thier BS or
DP and what their experience(s) might have been.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I was curious to hear if anyone has tried them on either thier BS or
DP and what their experience(s) might have been.

Mine made a huge difference on my band saw and 8" jointer.

My drill press has a green "soft belt" I bought at the hardware store
that doesn't vibrate at all, so I didn't bother with a link belt.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:42:54 -0400, B A R R Y wrote:

My drill press has a green "soft belt" I bought at the hardware store
that doesn't vibrate at all, so I didn't bother with a link belt.

More info, please.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you all for the feedback

HFT has a link belt on sale for $19 - I think I'll try that on the BS.
Some places are looking to get $8/ft for the red ones! [Power Twist
Link Belt]

I believe teh belts referred to for small pulleys are called "cogged"
belts. see: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...69333&PMT4NO=0

FYI:
BDH manufactures yellow and black Link V-Belts called Durolink, made
with the help of one of the inventors of the original Link V-Belts.
For more information visit BDH, Inc. http://www.bdhbelt.com/
Fenner Drives manufactures red Link V-Belts called PowerTwist Plus®.
Fenner has manufactured Power Twist belts for more than 30 years and
has developed several innovative versions for special applications.
For more information visit Fenner Drives
http://www.fennerdrives.com/high_per...twist_home.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am contemplating replacing the belts on my Delta 14" Band Saw and
(2) on my Floor Model Drill Press with the Link belts I use on my
SEARS table saw with such great results.

I was curious to hear if anyone has tried them on either thier BS or
DP and what their experience(s) might have been.

I put link on my 14" Ridgid BS and it's much quieter now and the belt tension is
more adjustable..
I use link belt on anything that it will fit on..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:23:45 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:42:54 -0400, B A R R Y wrote:

My drill press has a green "soft belt" I bought at the hardware store
that doesn't vibrate at all, so I didn't bother with a link belt.

More info, please.

I stumbled on it. It's a regular vee-belt, green in color, bur
softer than any belt I've seen. I also have one on my lawn mower
deck.

The DP belt came from the lawn mower section of a hardware store, the
big green belt came from NAPA.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

More info, please.

I stumbled on it. It's a regular vee-belt, green in color, bur
softer than any belt I've seen. I also have one on my lawn mower
deck.

The DP belt came from the lawn mower section of a hardware store, the
big green belt came from NAPA.

Thanks. I'll go by NAPA someday soon and take a look.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 08:51:17 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

Thanks. I'll go by NAPA someday soon and take a look.

Be aware that my NAPA is a regional warehouse with 100's of thousands
of square feet. I asked for a belt of the correct size at the
counter, and the clerk gave me a choice of 5-6 styles.

In a normal NAPA store, expect to wait a day for the part to be
delivered to the store from the warehouse. I doubt they carry them in
stores, except for locally popular lawn equipment.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:05:48 -0500, Leon wrote:

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message

The Automotive style belt is now on the DP and there is almost no
vibration by comparison. With tax, $7.26, much cheaper than a link belt.

If your pulleys are small in diameter ask for the style that has the
notches cut out on the inside, this will allow the belt to bend around a
tighter radius.

You hit the nail on the head, link belts don't do much for the price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:41:41 -0500, Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote
It almost always helps...

I did my bandsaw for a pretty fair improvement.

Same on my Delta 14" ... noticeable for sure. Haven't done the DP yet ,
but it's "in the plans".

I put a 7 dollar Gates cogged V belt on my Delta 14" and vibration all
but disappeared (eyes closed, fingers on table I can kinda feel a little).