Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Band Saw Link Belts??? Drill Press??

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I am contemplating replacing the belts on my Delta 14" Band Saw and
(2) on my Floor Model Drill Press with the Link belts I use on my
SEARS table saw with such great results.

I was curious to hear if anyone has tried them on either thier BS or
DP and what their experience(s) might have been.

Food for thought here, I have a Rockwell DP that is going on 30 years old.
I got it new and the belt on it, like most all belts that come on wood
working equipment, is an industrial type. From day one the DP vibrated on
the fastest speed setting but because I almost always used it on the slowest
settings that vibration seldom came into play.
Last week the belt began to go bad so I took it to an auto supply store and
asked to have the belt matched up to an "Automotive" style belt. These
belts when compared to an industrial belt look very refined and tend to be
better balanced because of the need to operate at much higher speeds than
industrial belts.

The Automotive style belt is now on the DP and there is almost no vibration
by comparison. With tax, $7.26, much cheaper than a link belt.

If your pulleys are small in diameter ask for the style that has the notches
cut out on the inside, this will allow the belt to bend around a tighter
radius.