Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FS: Heavy Rolling Base for Table, Radial-Arm, Band Saw, Lathe, Drill Press - $45

Please see photos and respond only to my Craigslist ad - it is linked
to my real email address. These items are in the Dallas, Texas area,
and cannot be economically shipped:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/288734365.html

I have four of these. They are steel rolling bases with precision
Albion casters and four adjustable stabilizing/leveling feet. They
would be ideal for setting up a garage wood or metal shop with tools
that could be rolled out and stabilized for use, then rolled away for
storage.

The ball-bearing casters have grease fittings on both the wheels and
the swivels, and the wheels are replaceable.

The bases are were built for a commercial application where each would
hold well over 1000 lbs of equipment. The mounting surfaces are
precision-machined flat within 0.002", and mounting bolts are
included.

These bases are very heavy, and require two people to lift. They will
be many times more stable and vibration-free than the cheap "wheel
kits" normally sold for power tools.

I am selling these bases for less than the price of one caster wheel
from Grainger!

Thanks and regards,

Marty

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin wrote:
[...]

Why in the world would you ever sell them so cheap? You could
quadruple the price and you'd still get rid of them quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 5, 12:08 pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
Martin wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

You guys are making me feel dumb

I didn't know what to ask for them. Seems like something that would
only appeal to a few people (home shop guys), and because they're too
heavy to ship the buyer would need to be local, so I figured it might
be hard to find someone. If they disappear fast I'll know better next
time. Anyway, I published a price so I'm not going to renege on it.

best regards,

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

BTW, I have two more similar bases that I will list next week, but I
can't easily get them out until these first four are removed from my
storage.

The other two are similar size, have casters and adjustable
stabilizers also, but the bases are much heavier. Each has an X-Y
table incorporated, with foot pedals for lock/release. The X-Y
platforms are each two 1" thick steel plates riding on Thomson SPB-16
linear bearings and shafting. So I guess each X- Y table has four
lengths of shafting and eight SPB-16 linear bearings.

One of them also has a rotary table under the X-Y table. It rides on
an enormous ball bearing, and has a lock.

I estimate that each of these other two bases weighs 350-400 lbs. I
had to buy a shop crane to lift them off the bed of my pickup, then
set them down and roll them into storage. It took two of us to lift
one edge up the required inch or so to get the wheels to step over the
entry ledge.

How much should I list these guys for?

thanks,

Martin

On Mar 5, 11:11 am, "Martin" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5 Mar 2007 12:14:32 -0800, Martin wrote:
One of them also has a rotary table under the X-Y table. It rides on
an enormous ball bearing, and has a lock.

I estimate that each of these other two bases weighs 350-400 lbs. I
had to buy a shop crane to lift them off the bed of my pickup, then
set them down and roll them into storage. It took two of us to lift
one edge up the required inch or so to get the wheels to step over the
entry ledge.

Martin, you are talking about big bucks, put all of this stuff on
eBay.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin wrote:
[...]

You've got me, but you should definitely do some homework before you
list things with which you're unfamiliar. I saw a sticker on the base
in one picture, so you should _definitely_ put the manufacturer's name
and model number in the listing. Do a google. You'll probably crap
your pants when you see how much they'll want for such heavy mobile,
adjustable bases.

Craigslist is a pretty good place, but eBay is probably better. Guys
that deal in equipment will know exactly what they are, what they're
used for and will have arrangements with truck shippers, so the
distance isn't so critical - especially since you're almost willing to
give them away!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Is there any kind of lift mechanism to raise the base from stationary
positon to wheeled position similar to Delta Mobile Bases? Or, are
the stabilizers screwed down with a wrench to lift the wheels and
frame off the floor?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

frame off the floor?- Hide quoted text -

The latter - you use a wrench to adjust the legs. The bases are
manufactured by Terradyne to support large heavy test-equipment
towers. Probably not conducive to a single-lever lift.

best regards,

Marty

Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin wrote:

The latter - you use a wrench to adjust the legs. The bases are
manufactured by Terradyne to support large heavy test-equipment
towers. Probably not conducive to a single-lever lift.

That's Teradyne and they manufacture high end test equipment. Here's
something on eBay that looks like it might have a base like you have
on part of the equipment.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Teradyne-973ST-D...0702QQihZ013QQ

I would suggest that you remove your listing from Craigslist and do a
little more research to determine what the things s are actually
worth. I would not be surprised if a Teradyne base sold new for a
thousand or two. You should also target your audience and post
listings on used test equipment web sites.

Posted to rec.woodworking

on part of the equipment.http://cgi.ebay.com/Teradyne-973ST-D...er_W0QQitemZ23...

I would suggest that you remove your listing from Craigslist and do a
little more research to determine what the things s are actually
worth. I would not be surprised if a Teradyne base sold new for a
thousand or two. You should also target your audience and post
listings on used test equipment web sites.

I've gotten an education on this. The guys (from this newsgroup, I
think) that commited to the stuff on Craigslist did so in good faith,
so I wouldn't dream of backing out on their deals. But I will, as you
suggested, try an Ebay listing for the other two bases that have the X-
Y tables attached. I've never sold anything on Ebay myself, just
listed some machine parts and miscellaneous stuff through a friend's
account. I guess I'll have to get a Paypal account and a throwaway
checking account to link it with.

best regards,

Marty