Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I got to touch and feel it!

I went to Woodcraft today to do what y'all would expect, buy another
Festool. They had the new Kpax SCMS in the store, 8 to be exact. No I did
not buy that particular Festool, but did buy a new Festool finish sander.
Last weekend I decided to disassemble our 26 year old Cocobolo, Padauk, and
Walnut coffee table and flatten the top and refinish the whole thing.
Originally and back in those days I sorta "sculpted" the table top with my
belt sander and it was not flat. Any way I ran the top through my drum
sander taking off about 1/8", then sanded with my Rotex, then finish sanded
with my old SpeedBloc PC finish sander. Until I actually sanded with the
finish sander I stayed clean. After 10 minutes of sanding with the Speed
Block I had a bright orange dust all over me and the surrounding area.
Sooooo I decided to go ahead and get the Festool finish sander to help keep
the dust to a minimum.

Oh yeah, the Kpax saw was pretty darn nice and makes the competition fall
short, but you gotta get past that $1300 price tag.
Splinter free cuts with out a zero clearance insert and like many saws it
has a depth control so that you can make multiple passes and cut a dado.
The blade tilts left and right, has a micro adjust for the blade bevel built
into one of the 2 steel bars that the motor slides on. Different than many
saws like this the blade and motor slide on the steel bars rather than being
attached and the bars sliding back behind the saw requiring room behind the
saw. No saw dust was detected escaping during the demonstration cuts using
the Festool Vac. It includes an inside and outside angle gauge that greatly
simplifies cutting matching mating miters.
The feature that really caught my eye was how quiet it is. Most mitersaws
are terribly noisy, this saw is about like running a TS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Leon,
Which finish sander did you buy?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 5:30*pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

There is no doubt in my mind that I would invest in that Kpax saw if I
was doing trim-work as a specialty.
My LS 1013 Makita gets me by just fine for those jobs I do, but if I
didn't already own this fine saw, I'd probably talk myself into a
Festool.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

There is no doubt in my mind that I would invest in that Kpax saw if I
was doing trim-work as a specialty.
My LS 1013 Makita gets me by just fine for those jobs I do, but if I
didn't already own this fine saw, I'd probably talk myself into a
Festool.

Actually one of the current WW magazines has a comparison test of the SCMS's
and the Kpex naturally won. There were something like 10 categories that it
was top in, except or 2 or 3. A Makita came in as Best Bet and while the
comparison was not neck and neck I think the 2.6 times increase in price
over the Makita was the Festool's problem in loosing out.

IF I was going to buy a SCMS I probably would not buy the Festool simply
from a justification of price point of view. If some one gave me one I'd
thought I had won the lottery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
Hello Leon,
Which finish sander did you buy?

Marc I went with the RTS 400 EQ, the rectangle bottom sander.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 1, 11:10*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

There is no doubt in my mind that I would invest in that Kpax saw if I
was doing trim-work as a specialty.
My LS 1013 Makita gets me by just fine for those jobs I do, but if I
didn't already own this fine saw, I'd probably talk myself into a
Festool.

Actually one of the current WW magazines has a comparison test of the SCMS's
and the Kpex naturally won. *There were something like 10 categories that it
was top in, except or 2 or 3. *A Makita came in as Best Bet and while the
comparison was not neck and neck I think the 2.6 times increase in price
over the Makita was the Festool's problem in loosing out.

IF I was going to buy a SCMS I probably would not buy the Festool simply
from a justification of price point of view. *If some one gave me one I'd
thought I had won the lottery.

LOL... Leon wrote: " IF I was going to buy a SCMS I probably would not
buy the Festool simply
from a justification of price point of view. If some one gave me one
I'd
thought I had won the lottery."

I noticed the word PROBABLY in there... mmmmmmmmmmm
All you need is a reason, Leon.

Let me help you out a little with a few:

VERY accurate
Damned thing is gorgeous
VERY quiet
Damned thing is gorgeous
Excellent dust collection
Damned thing is gorgeous
Takes up less space than most (THAT is a good one!!)
Damned thing is gorgeous
Swing would be envious
Damned thing is gorgeous
You'll have it for life
Damned thing is gorgeous
What is $ 1300 anymore these days?

I could go on....G
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Let me help you out a little with a few:

VERY accurate
Damned thing is gorgeous
VERY quiet
Damned thing is gorgeous
Excellent dust collection
Damned thing is gorgeous
Takes up less space than most (THAT is a good one!!)
Damned thing is gorgeous
Swing would be envious
Damned thing is gorgeous
You'll have it for life
Damned thing is gorgeous
What is $ 1300 anymore these days?

I could go on....G

"ALL" A B S O L U T E L Y valid points. THANKS! ;~) Have you
seen one too?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 1, 12:22*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Let me help you out a little with a few:

VERY accurate
Damned thing is gorgeous
VERY quiet
Damned thing is gorgeous
Excellent dust collection
Damned thing is gorgeous
Takes up less space than most (THAT is a good one!!)
Damned thing is gorgeous
Swing would be envious
Damned thing is gorgeous
You'll have it for life
Damned thing is gorgeous
What is $ 1300 anymore these days?

I could go on....G

"ALL" *A B S O L U T E L Y *valid points. *THANKS! * * * * * ;~) * Have you
seen one too?

Are you silly? I won't go near one! "A man has got to know his
limitations."
I'm weak, Leon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have you noticed that your eyes have become sensitive to a weird
shade of green, picking it up even if it's only in your peripheral
vision
- at a distance?

And should something that has THAT green on it NOT be a Festool
product, do you mentally do an Oh Darn?

Do you look at a tailed hand tool and think "You know, if only that
switch or button or lever - were THAT green, I just might buy it."

Are you looking at your portable power tools arsenal wondering
how Festool has, or will, improve it?

When checking out a potential More Tools! acquistion, does the
price being half to one third the price of a similar Festool product
- make you suspicious of the quality or performance of the tool
you're looking at?

When trying a demo tool, do you think - "But it only does this,
and it does it like almost all the others do."?

Do you look at the LEIGH FMT or MultiRouter and think "Damn,
you sure have to do a lot of stuff just to cut mortises where
you want 'em - end grain or not."?

Do you even look at your table saw and fence and think "If they
could somehow . . ."?

It's a Euro Plot! AND - "they" are out to convert The Last Bastion
of The Imperial System - to METRIC - terrorists cloaked in Black and
That Weird Green - out to destroy OUR woodworking way of life!
Next thing you know they'll start with Left Handed Only tools.

Bosch was too blatant so they've repackage themselves as
- FESTOOL. Where's HomeLandSecurity when we need them?

Festool is out there - just waiting for YOU! A moment of
weakness, a wallet leaving a back pocket, a credit card out
in plane view, an unsolicited brochure or DVD . . .

THEY'RE HERE!

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 1, 2:44*pm, charlieb wrote:
[...]

Soon to be released: MEN IN GREEN starring Tommy Lee Jones as KPAX.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Have you noticed that your eyes have become sensitive to a weird
shade of green, picking it up even if it's only in your peripheral
vision
- at a distance?

Yes. ;~) And, I don't recall what that tool was. Hitachi maybe but a bit
too dak green.

And should something that has THAT green on it NOT be a Festool
product, do you mentally do an Oh Darn?

Uh huh.

Do you look at a tailed hand tool and think "You know, if only that
switch or button or lever - were THAT green, I just might buy it."

Not there yet.

Are you looking at your portable power tools arsenal wondering
how Festool has, or will, improve it?

No, not yet.

When checking out a potential More Tools! acquistion, does the
price being half to one third the price of a similar Festool product
- make you suspicious of the quality or performance of the tool
you're looking at?

Absolutely! I was looking at other sanders on the internet to just see
what else was available before I bought the Festool Finish sander. I wanted
to only look at those with dust collection. The Makita, DeWalt, and
Milwaukee models being under $70 simply seemed too cheap. Oh gaud, I'm
becomming a tool snob! Not... LOL

When trying a demo tool, do you think - "But it only does this,
and it does it like almost all the others do."?

No, I have not bought any other brand power tools since I started collecting
the Festool stuff and specifically wanted the Festool brand for particular
reasons unique to the Festool line.

Do you look at the LEIGH FMT or MultiRouter and think "Damn,
you sure have to do a lot of stuff just to cut mortises where
you want 'em - end grain or not."?

The Leigh, YES the MultRouter NO. The MultiRouter will do a whole lot more
then my Domino and would still be nice to have.

Do you even look at your table saw and fence and think "If they
could somehow . . ."?

No. Not yet.

It's a Euro Plot! AND - "they" are out to convert The Last Bastion
of The Imperial System - to METRIC - terrorists cloaked in Black and
That Weird Green - out to destroy OUR woodworking way of life!
Next thing you know they'll start with Left Handed Only tools.

Metric in the Festool line does not really matter in most cases. Sanders,
no, routers, no, they use 1/2" and 1/4" bits, Drills, no. I think the only
tool that it becomes an issue on is with the Domino and IMHO they coule
easily swap out the "stepped depth gauge" and I think that would be the only
thing that I would prefer to see be changed to inches.

Bosch was too blatant so they've repackage themselves as
- FESTOOL. Where's HomeLandSecurity when we need them?

I looked at the Bosch SCMS in the magazine comparison, I noticed all those
"UGLY" RED levers and buttons. ;~)

Festool is out there - just waiting for YOU! A moment of
weakness, a wallet leaving a back pocket, a credit card out
in plane view, an unsolicited brochure or DVD . . .

I hope the American tools sit up and take notice! Festool is proving that
there are customers out there that will pay for higher/high quality power
tools. Maybe, just maybe Feltool will prove that more expensice tools can
still be marketed here.
Have you niticed that Festool is no longer offering a lower introductory
price with a new tool? IIRC the Domino was reduced at a lower cost as well
as the accessiries and Domino assortment but none of the 5 to 8 new tools
recently introduced have been offered with a price cut. I guess their sales
are doing fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
Have you noticed that your eyes have become sensitive to a weird
shade of green, picking it up even if it's only in your peripheral
vision
- at a distance?

[snip of lustful bad stuff]

I have started a new brand of high end tools called Fistool. My first
two offerings are a hand axe (tough, manly looking, rock colors) at only
$957 and a stirrer (your choice of oak, padauk, drift, or fine plastic)
at only $740 (oak slightly higher in Texas). Go for a real Neander feeling!

gronk,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

I have started a new brand of high end tools called Fistool. My first
two offerings are a hand axe (tough, manly looking, rock colors) at only
$957 and a stirrer (your choice of oak, padauk, drift, or fine plastic)
at only $740 (oak slightly higher in Texas). Go for a real Neander feeling!

gronk,

Any Weird Green on either of them?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 09:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

Are you silly? I won't go near one! "A man has got to know his
limitations."
I'm weak, Leon.

So, you guys are saying I should avoid Coastal Tool, my local Festool
dealer?

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Are you silly? I won't go near one! "A man has got to know his
limitations."
I'm weak, Leon.

So, you guys are saying I should avoid Coastal Tool, my local Festool
dealer?

No! Go on in... Only a girly-man would be skeerd. Fortunately, with
Festool's pricing policy, you get to buy from your favorite source with no
fear of paying more than somewhere else.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Leon,
I got a chance to demo the Kpax today and was imediately impressed.
Woodcraft Towson MD had on set up next to another MFT bearing the
plunge cut saw. It was a very nice looking work station serviced by a
CT22. I made several crosscuts of 1x6 walnut. What was most
impressive was the saw blade disappeared into the wood with no
increase in sound. My RAS (40 year old Craftsman with a Freud blade)
and 10 inch SCMS (a 15 year old Makita , similar blade) make a lot of
noise on the own, but when their blades contact wood they are much
noisier. I could carry on a conversation with the sales folks while I
was cutting.
That saw really made me think. Of course, the price tag made me think
clearly.
Anyway, it may never end up in my shop but it certainly looks like it
will live up to its expectations.
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
[...]

It is a nice saw, and yeah it is quiet, especially when releasing the switch
and the brake kicks in. My Delta will almost blow your ear drums.