Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default I got to touch and feel it!

I went to Woodcraft today to do what y'all would expect, buy another
Festool. They had the new Kpax SCMS in the store, 8 to be exact. No I did
not buy that particular Festool, but did buy a new Festool finish sander.
Last weekend I decided to disassemble our 26 year old Cocobolo, Padauk, and
Walnut coffee table and flatten the top and refinish the whole thing.
Originally and back in those days I sorta "sculpted" the table top with my
belt sander and it was not flat. Any way I ran the top through my drum
sander taking off about 1/8", then sanded with my Rotex, then finish sanded
with my old SpeedBloc PC finish sander. Until I actually sanded with the
finish sander I stayed clean. After 10 minutes of sanding with the Speed
Block I had a bright orange dust all over me and the surrounding area.
Sooooo I decided to go ahead and get the Festool finish sander to help keep
the dust to a minimum.

Oh yeah, the Kpax saw was pretty darn nice and makes the competition fall
short, but you gotta get past that $1300 price tag.
Splinter free cuts with out a zero clearance insert and like many saws it
has a depth control so that you can make multiple passes and cut a dado.
The blade tilts left and right, has a micro adjust for the blade bevel built
into one of the 2 steel bars that the motor slides on. Different than many
saws like this the blade and motor slide on the steel bars rather than being
attached and the bars sliding back behind the saw requiring room behind the
saw. No saw dust was detected escaping during the demonstration cuts using
the Festool Vac. It includes an inside and outside angle gauge that greatly
simplifies cutting matching mating miters.
The feature that really caught my eye was how quiet it is. Most mitersaws
are terribly noisy, this saw is about like running a TS.