Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - the fun and games of "upgrading" (computerwise)

Han wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

I'm running MoneyDance instead of Quicken, it has a native Linux
version.
Advantages: MoneyDance doesn't sunset it's software and lobotomize
newer versions. Imports Quicken files, so the conversion is somewhat
painless. Cheaper than Quicken. Scrolling and date auto-fill are much
more intuitive and better than Quicken. Disadvantages: Some people
have had some issues with on-line banking (I don't do that so I can't
say). Investing management is somewhat less intuitive. Checkout
www.moneydance.com, they do have a trial version.

Thanks for your replies, M&J, and LRod.

I did try Moneydance once, but the conversion from Quicken sucked, so I
discarded it. I'm thinking about retiring, so then will be the time to
switch, especially since I just acquired (late 2007) Q2008, and have to
get my money's worth out of it!

Nobody using emulators yet?

I do use CrossoverOffice (a WINE wrapper). For some things it works well:
TreePad, Quicktime, Lotus 123 (yes, I still have a few 123 spreadsheets,
and TaxAct. For other things not so well. Thus far I have found that it
won't load TurboCAD (I went with VariCAD under Linux), H&R Block TaxCut
(too bad, that was what I started using when TurboTax implemented their
spyware activation scheme), or MindManager.

I used TaxAct in Crossover Office this year for taxes, it worked, but I
was a bit more skeptical of the results than with TaxCut. Don't remember
all of the details, but there were a couple state forms that I knew I had
to complete, but TaxAct missed. I was able to force TaxAct to fill them
out, but that is not optimal.

Haven't tried the Msoft Office products under Crossover, I'm using
OpenOffice at home.

You can find what they do and don't support at www.codeweavers.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Han wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

You can find what they do and don't support at www.codeweavers.com

I've been using vmware-server (under linux) for almost a year and you
can run most versions of windoze if you already have a license and linux
and solaris 10. No rebooting to run any win app you might need, just
boot up your virtual machine and have at it - in fact as many virtual
machines as you might need. Real memory is the key, and I've put 4GB on
several wintel machines for under $100 each. Virtual machine aren't
emulators and run at your hardware rates if not memory bound. If your
app ran on a non virtual machine, it will run on a virtual machine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Han wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

You can find what they do and don't support at www.codeweavers.com

I've been using vmware-server (under linux) for almost a year and you
can run most versions of windoze if you already have a license and linux
and solaris 10. No rebooting to run any win app you might need, just
boot up your virtual machine and have at it - in fact as many virtual
machines as you might need. Real memory is the key, and I've put 4GB on
several wintel machines for under $100 each. Virtual machine aren't
emulators and run at your hardware rates if not memory bound. If your
app ran on a non virtual machine, it will run on a virtual machine.

I looked into that; downside is that I would have to buy a Windows
license. My machine has Windows 2000 with no OS disk -- it's an
end-of-life machine that our company sells to employees when refreshing
desktops. The license is a legal license, but there is no recovery if the
machine has problems and also no disk that I can use to install into a
virtual machine. The price was right though and with OpenSuse Linux, a
three year old machine runs faster than most new machines with an Msoft OS.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

Doug Winterburn wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Han wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

You can find what they do and don't support at www.codeweavers.com

[...]

Thanks Doug and M&J!
I might go the virtual machine route, although that would mean
reinstalling everything. Does a virtual installation of windows do its
updates too? I assume it does, as long as the hard drive is big enough.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Put Linux on it. Ubuntu is a great release for Linux newbs. Your
computer will run a lot faster and you'll probably be impressed with
how it looks/works. Windows XP isn't a new OS by any means. Ubuntu
gets a new release every 6 months and it generally has major updates.
I started out with a dual boot setup, just in case I needed Windows
for something. As more time went by I dropped Windows entirely.
Ubuntu also has automatic updates and a point and click library of
thousands of apps - all for free. None of it's pirated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

Doug Winterburn wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Han wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

[...]

You can find what they do and don't support at
www.codeweavers.com

[...]

The virtual machine is like a separate computer within the computer.
On a machine with enough RAM you can have whole virtual networks going
with virtual servers and virtual workstations running a bunch of
different operating systems, all on the same machine.

You have to install Windows on the virtual machine just like you would
on a physical machine, with each virtual machine needing its own
installation, and with XP and later its own product activation. You
install updates in the virtual machine just like you would on a
physical machine, again with each virtual machine having to be updated
separately. Note--read the license _carefully_ before you call
Microsoft if you've having a problem with activation in the virtual
machine--some versions are licensed for virtual machines, others are
not, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to which are
and aren't--if you're trying to activate a version that's not licensed
for a virtual machine and you tell them that that's what you're doing
they probably won't give you a code.

If you have a valid product key for Windows 2000, by the way, then you
should be able to obtain media without a key inexpensively--call the
hardware manufacturer and see--price should be 20 bucks or so. If
that route fails, you can generally find images of the distribution
media on bittorrent--burn one to a CD and install with your key and
you're set.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

[snip]

Acrobat (not just reader),
the Office suite,

All Mac

Acrobat (reader only)
Mozilla
Word
Solitaire

:-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Man did this thread head off into Linux fast.

Skipped right over Mac vs WinDoze almost at
the offset.

Amazing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Man did this thread head off into Linux fast.

Skipped right over Mac vs WinDoze almost at
the offset.

Not that surprising. The Mac people are the elitists and the Linux people
would like to be so they tend to speak up as more time goes on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 May 2008 00:49:13 GMT, Han wrote:

I have to win the lottery to buy all new software. If I switch OS, I'll go
open source and free.

Even on my new windows machine I went with:

- Sun Open Office
- Firefox
- Thunderbird
- My OLD version of Quicken

etc...

I need a good reason to pay up for new stuff, and I wasn't about to
drop the cash for MS Office.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

B A R R Y wrote in
:

On Wed, 14 May 2008 00:49:13 GMT, Han wrote:

I have to win the lottery to buy all new software. If I switch OS,
I'll go open source and free.

Even on my new windows machine I went with:

- Sun Open Office
- Firefox
- Thunderbird
- My OLD version of Quicken

etc...

I need a good reason to pay up for new stuff, and I wasn't about to
drop the cash for MS Office.

I understand, but I need the peace of mind to be able to work at home
with software that is compatible with work and OO was not when I tried
it.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

B A R R Y wrote in
:

On Wed, 14 May 2008 00:49:13 GMT, Han wrote:

I have to win the lottery to buy all new software. If I switch OS,
I'll go open source and free.

Even on my new windows machine I went with:

- Sun Open Office
- Firefox
- Thunderbird
- My OLD version of Quicken

etc...

I need a good reason to pay up for new stuff, and I wasn't about to
drop the cash for MS Office.

I understand, but I need the peace of mind to be able to work at home
with software that is compatible with work and OO was not when I tried
it.

Don't know when you last tried it Han, but it wouldn't be much of an
expenditure of your time to try it again. Thus far, we have not run into
any documents that aren't readable or that have any problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 May 2008 18:49:31 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Don't know when you last tried it Han, but it wouldn't be much of an
expenditure of your time to try it again. Thus far, we have not run into
any documents that aren't readable or that have any problems.

I myself had tried OO YEARS ago, and passed.

Upon trying OO again ~ 6 months ago, I'm a happy guy! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Han wrote:

LRod wrote in
news:kgoh2418ub0ttv8uhvg5l7bt3gspihn0mf@ 4ax.com:

snipped for brevity

I have some apps that like M$, but dislike Linux. Foremost is Quicken.
Have you gotten something like wine (spelling?) to work? Getting rid of
Vista may be getting to be a priority for me.

I'm running MoneyDance instead of Quicken, it has a native Linux
version.
Advantages: MoneyDance doesn't sunset it's software and lobotomize newer
versions. Imports Quicken files, so the conversion is somewhat painless.
Cheaper than Quicken. Scrolling and date auto-fill are much more intuitive
and better than Quicken. Disadvantages: Some people have had some issues
with on-line banking (I don't do that so I can't say). Investing
management is somewhat less intuitive. Checkout www.moneydance.com, they
do have a trial version.

You might have a look at GNUcash, its a suggestion. I'm not an accountant,
but I use it in my business and it works great for me.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking

dayvo wrote:

Put Linux on it. Ubuntu is a great release for Linux newbs. Your
computer will run a lot faster and you'll probably be impressed with
how it looks/works. Windows XP isn't a new OS by any means. Ubuntu
gets a new release every 6 months and it generally has major updates.
I started out with a dual boot setup, just in case I needed Windows
for something. As more time went by I dropped Windows entirely.
Ubuntu also has automatic updates and a point and click library of
thousands of apps - all for free. None of it's pirated.

Haven't used WinBlows since win98 and been happy ditchin it ever since.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

B A R R Y wrote in
:

wrote:

Don't know when you last tried it Han, but it wouldn't be much of an
expenditure of your time to try it again. Thus far, we have not run
into any documents that aren't readable or that have any problems.

I myself had tried OO YEARS ago, and passed.

Upon trying OO again ~ 6 months ago, I'm a happy guy! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

THANKS! I should have known this when I bought this new laptop. But
then, I recycled the Office 2003 from the old dead laptop, so no real
expense this time grin. But now I know if I go and try Linux in some
flavor.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

evodawg wrote in news:Na5Xj.3880$LL.1073@trnddc04:

snip
You might have a look at GNUcash, its a suggestion. I'm not an
accountant, but I use it in my business and it works great for me.

Good idea! When I retire ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:

On Tue, 13 May 2008 00:54:34 GMT, Han wrote:

LRod wrote in
news:kgoh2418ub0ttv8uhvg5l7bt3gspihn0mf@ 4ax.com:

snipped for brevity

I have some apps that like M$, but dislike Linux. Foremost is Quicken.
Have you gotten something like wine (spelling?) to work? Getting rid of
Vista may be getting to be a priority for me.

I'm very early in my Linux journey. I haven't even begun trying
emulators. Frankly, I'm probably going to concentrate on native Linux
apps (forgot to mention, Open Office is packaged with the Linux I
got--Ubuntu, for the record--it handles all the m$ orifice formats).
Less trouble. Speak to some Mac people--they'll probably tell you the
same thing.

Incidentally, I gave up on Quicken quite a while ago. I was an adopter
in about 1990 and used it faithfully up until about Fall, '06. One of
the ongoing problems was utter lack of support from Intuit. They are
notorious for it. Check newsgroups geared toward them.

I've been using online banking which covers my needs (which are
simple) so far. If I do eventually go back to accounting software,
I'll find a native Linux app. But I don't know of any yet.

Try GNUcash I think it's called. Dual booting in my opinion is the only way
to keep windows. Emulators really aren't the answer. But I haven't used a
WinBlows product since win98. Not to mention no ADware, no Spyware, no
trojans, no nada. I just installed virus detection on my new machine not
because I had to. For the last 5 years I have had no virus detection, and
no virus. Norton Virus Detection? whats that?

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow didn't realize so many folks are using LINUX. I still get what's LINUX?
Anything putting a dent into WinBlow$ is a good thing.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message
Man did this thread head off into Linux fast.

Skipped right over Mac vs WinDoze almost at
the offset.

Not that surprising. The Mac people are the elitists and the Linux people
would like to be so they tend to speak up as more time goes on.

No we just know a good thing when we see it. And want others to know to.
I don't here this kind of enthusiasm when it comes to WindBlows. I hear the
opposite, Vista Sucks! It's even the brunt of jokes on TV.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:

Upscale wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message
Man did this thread head off into Linux fast.

Skipped right over Mac vs WinDoze almost at
the offset.

Not that surprising. The Mac people are the elitists and the Linux people
would like to be so they tend to speak up as more time goes on.

No we just know a good thing when we see it. And want others to know
to. I don't here this kind of enthusiasm when it comes to WindBlows. I
hear the opposite, Vista Sucks! It's even the brunt of jokes on TV.

Kind of dabbling in both these worlds right now. We got SWMBO an iMac
about a month ago. I'm trying to be open-minded -- I really like the Mac,
and she loves the things it just does right out of the box like organize
pictures, add sound to slide shows, and put together movies. But, some of
the non-standard, or things that one would think would be standard, are
causing some frustration. For example, the ability to copy a DVD is either
hidden somewhere that is obvious to a Mac expert and totally non-obvious to
a new user, or it just plain doesn't exist as a standard package. In other
cases, finding ways to do other things that are pretty obvious in windows
or linux are an exercise in frustration on the Mac. Once you figure out
the right path, you can get the job done, but it's not obvious. But, like
I said, the things the Mac does as native tasks is just eye-watering.

I am witholding judgment at this time; after all, when the major OS vendor
forced people to shut down their computers by pushing a button
marked "start", or to log on to the Windows OS by pushing a key combination
that used to be the last resort to reboot the machine -- a few quirks in
finding command paths isn't going to make me reject a different system.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"evodawg" wrote in message
I don't hear this kind of enthusiasm when it comes to WindBlows. I hear

the
opposite, Vista Sucks! It's even the brunt of jokes on TV.

If you base your decisions on TV ads, then Windows is certainly not the joke
here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

I like Mac's we have 2 in the house. I prefer linux though. Mac's are damn
expensive and if something goes wrong with one and your warranty is over
hold on to your wallet. My wife's Ibook DC plug stop working and would not
charge or work on regular house hold current, took it to a Mac store and
they wanted $600.00 to fix. I went on the net found a parts place and
bought it for $29.00, torx driver and a special tool to split the case. 40
bucks total. On the same site they had detailed instructions on the fix.
Followed the instructions to the T and had it back up and running in 1
hour.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 12:28*am, Mark & Juanita wrote:
*For example, the ability to copy a DVD is either
hidden somewhere that is obvious to a Mac expert and totally non-obvious to
a new user, or it just plain doesn't exist as a standard package. *In other
cases, finding ways to do other things that are pretty obvious in windows
or linux are an exercise in frustration on the Mac. *Once you figure out
the right path, you can get the job done, but it's not obvious.

You put in a DVD, drag the icon of it it to a new folder. After that,
single click the folder to highlight it and select 'burn' from the
file menu.
Wipe hands on pants.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 May 2008 23:49:05 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

If you base your decisions on TV ads, then Windows is certainly not the joke
here.

Now _THAT'S_ funny!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:

.... snip
I like Mac's we have 2 in the house. I prefer linux though. Mac's are damn
expensive and if something goes wrong with one and your warranty is over
hold on to your wallet. My wife's Ibook DC plug stop working and would not
charge or work on regular house hold current, took it to a Mac store and
they wanted $600.00 to fix. I went on the net found a parts place and
bought it for $29.00, torx driver and a special tool to split the case. 40
bucks total. On the same site they had detailed instructions on the fix.
Followed the instructions to the T and had it back up and running in 1
hour.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future should the need arise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On May 16, 12:28Â*am, Mark & Juanita wrote:
For example, the ability to copy a DVD is either
hidden somewhere that is obvious to a Mac expert and totally non-obvious
to a new user, or it just plain doesn't exist as a standard package. Â*In
other cases, finding ways to do other things that are pretty obvious in
windows or linux are an exercise in frustration on the Mac. Â*Once you
figure out the right path, you can get the job done, but it's not
obvious.

You put in a DVD, drag the icon of it it to a new folder. After that,
single click the folder to highlight it and select 'burn' from the
file menu.
Wipe hands on pants.

Thanks. I'll try that when, if, the Mac comes up again. SWMBO was trying
to build an imovie this morning, the screen went dark, the computer went
click, and it has been inert ever since.

This is not a happy experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maxwell Lol wrote:
Mathue writes:

Meh, what mac people are in this group have probably participated
more than enough times in a Windows/DOS/Scelbi/
Warp/Linux-flavor/Amiga/Ti/Timex/Atari/Amstrad/Tandy/BBC-Micro/Dragon/Co
leco/Acorn/IBM-51**-Datamaster-IBMPC/MITS-Altair and
Zilog/PPC/Intel/AMD/ARM/Moto/DEC/MOS/AVR/SPARC/MILSTD1750A radda,
radda, radda war and have concluded it's a waste of time participating

*I 'prolly missed a few, I have only 640K of memory.

Sigh... No one remembers the #2 minicomputer manufacturer....Data General.
Nova 840, Nova 2, Eclipse with RTOS,RDOSAOS, AOS/VS, and the DG/L language.

Nor the Four-Phase Systems IV/70, IV/90 and System-5000 all with window
into memory for their displays.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:
Maxwell Lol wrote:
Mathue writes:

Meh, what mac people are in this group have probably participated
more than enough times in a Windows/DOS/Scelbi/
Warp/Linux-flavor/Amiga/Ti/Timex/Atari/Amstrad/Tandy/BBC-Micro/Dragon/Co
leco/Acorn/IBM-51**-Datamaster-IBMPC/MITS-Altair and
Zilog/PPC/Intel/AMD/ARM/Moto/DEC/MOS/AVR/SPARC/MILSTD1750A radda,
radda, radda war and have concluded it's a waste of time participating

*I 'prolly missed a few, I have only 640K of memory.

Sigh... No one remembers the #2 minicomputer manufacturer....Data
General.
Nova 840, Nova 2, Eclipse with RTOS,RDOSAOS, AOS/VS, and the DG/L
language.

Nor the Four-Phase Systems IV/70, IV/90 and System-5000 all with window
into memory for their displays.

....and contrary to claims by others, Four-Phase Systems and founder Lee
Boysell produced the first computer on a chip.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Maxwell Lol wrote:
Mathue writes:

Meh, what mac people are in this group have probably participated
more than enough times in a Windows/DOS/Scelbi/
Warp/Linux-flavor/Amiga/Ti/Timex/Atari/Amstrad/Tandy/BBC-Micro/Dragon/Co
leco/Acorn/IBM-51**-Datamaster-IBMPC/MITS-Altair and
Zilog/PPC/Intel/AMD/ARM/Moto/DEC/MOS/AVR/SPARC/MILSTD1750A radda,
radda, radda war and have concluded it's a waste of time participating

*I 'prolly missed a few, I have only 640K of memory.

Sigh... No one remembers the #2 minicomputer manufacturer....Data
General.
Nova 840, Nova 2, Eclipse with RTOS,RDOSAOS, AOS/VS, and the DG/L
language.

Hell - I remember it very well. DG is where I met my wife.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maxwell Lol wrote:

Sigh... No one remembers the #2 minicomputer manufacturer....Data General.

"The Soul of a New Machine"...