Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - the fun and games of "upgrading" (computerwise)

evodawg wrote:

Upscale wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message
Man did this thread head off into Linux fast.

Skipped right over Mac vs WinDoze almost at
the offset.

Not that surprising. The Mac people are the elitists and the Linux people
would like to be so they tend to speak up as more time goes on.

No we just know a good thing when we see it. And want others to know
to. I don't here this kind of enthusiasm when it comes to WindBlows. I
hear the opposite, Vista Sucks! It's even the brunt of jokes on TV.

Kind of dabbling in both these worlds right now. We got SWMBO an iMac
about a month ago. I'm trying to be open-minded -- I really like the Mac,
and she loves the things it just does right out of the box like organize
pictures, add sound to slide shows, and put together movies. But, some of
the non-standard, or things that one would think would be standard, are
causing some frustration. For example, the ability to copy a DVD is either
hidden somewhere that is obvious to a Mac expert and totally non-obvious to
a new user, or it just plain doesn't exist as a standard package. In other
cases, finding ways to do other things that are pretty obvious in windows
or linux are an exercise in frustration on the Mac. Once you figure out
the right path, you can get the job done, but it's not obvious. But, like
I said, the things the Mac does as native tasks is just eye-watering.

I am witholding judgment at this time; after all, when the major OS vendor
forced people to shut down their computers by pushing a button
marked "start", or to log on to the Windows OS by pushing a key combination
that used to be the last resort to reboot the machine -- a few quirks in
finding command paths isn't going to make me reject a different system.